Consciousness, what is and what it requires?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Tamminen

Re: Consciousness, what is and what it requires?

Post by Tamminen »

BigBango wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 10:42 pm Consciousness does not depend on "physical conditions".
Yes it does.
Consciousness exists as an ontological necessity of reality(see Tamminem).
Right.
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

At least I got it half right!
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:"I think, therefore I am" begs-the-question. In other words, it pre-assumes the conclusion and is therefore wholly irrational.
RJG wrote:Do you notice the "I" in the premise? ...and the "I" in the conclusion? Descartes pre-assumes the conclusion in his premise, so as to then (irrationally) claim it in his conclusion.
Gee wrote:I tend to dismiss those "I"s as a grammatical necessity. It could easily have been "you"s or even "tulips".
It doesn't matter what the subject is, it is still logically invalid and unsound. In other words, it is a nonsense statement.

"X does Y, therefore X exists" is logical nonsense; irrational. -- "Unicorns can fly, therefore Unicorns exist" does not prove that "Unicorns" exist. -- "I think, therefore I am" does not prove that "I" exists.

If Descartes wishes to logically prove "I" exists, then he needs to restate his flawed statement as such:

"Experiencing exists, therefore an Experiencer (named "I") exist".

Important Note: it is the "experiencing of thoughts" that is Absolutely certain, and NOT the "thinking of thoughts". (Descartes error).

Gee wrote:So what you are saying is that I should not accept the argument; "I exist, therefore I exist".
Correct. It is nonsensical; proves nothing.

Gee wrote:But I should accept the argument: "Everything that we experience is just an 'experience'".

You don't see a similarity between these two 'arguments'?
Firstly, this statement is NOT saying "We experience, therefore we exist", it says "We experience, therefore experiences exist".

Secondly, and of course, this presumes that "experiences" (and "we") exist in the first place, which so happens to be the starting seed premise statement to all true knowledge that Descartes was searching for but never found.

P1. Experiencing/experiences exist.
P2. Without an Experiencer there could be no Experiencing.
C1. Therefore, Hark, "I" (the Experiencer) exists!
Consul

Post by Consul »

BigBango wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 10:42 pmConsciousness does not depend on "physical conditions". Consciousness exists as an ontological necessity of reality(see Tamminem). We do not have to figure out how "consciousness" came into being. It just is. What we need to do is chronicle the development of consciousness in our familiar physical world.
I'm sorry, but this doesn't make sense to me. It's not the case that my consciousness "just is". It comes into being every time I awake from a dreamless sleep and ceases to be every time I fall into a dreamless sleep.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

Consul wrote: November 24th, 2019, 2:47 pm
BigBango wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 10:42 pmConsciousness does not depend on "physical conditions". Consciousness exists as an ontological necessity of reality(see Tamminem). We do not have to figure out how "consciousness" came into being. It just is. What we need to do is chronicle the development of consciousness in our familiar physical world.
I'm sorry, but this doesn't make sense to me. It's not the case that my consciousness "just is". It comes into being every time I awake from a dreamless sleep and ceases to be every time I fall into a dreamless sleep.
I think you are just being silly Consul! Well haha.

First of all I did not say "your" consciousness "just is". I said "consciousness "just is". Certainly the sensed world of objects also "
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

Consul wrote: November 24th, 2019, 2:47 pm
I think you are just being silly Consul! Well haha.

First of all I did not say "your" consciousness "just is". I said "consciousness "just is". Certainly the sensed world of objects also "comes into being every time I awake from a dreamless sleep and ceases to be every time I fall into a dreamless sleep." However I am sure that you, as a materialist, believe in a world of objects and they still exist during your dream time. You need to apply your logic to your own assumptions about the nature of reality. If you did we would have no consciousness in the world and no objects.

I accept the tenants of "dual aspect philosophers" like Nagel, Searle even Leibniz. Consciousness never evolved from the material objects of science but has always existed in relation to the physical. Again see Tamminen. For Leibniz there are monads that are not divisible and are the source of individual conscious identities. These monads instantiate themselves in our world of physicality and that physical world is infinitely divisible. The "conscious monads" have always existed and they instantiate themselves in the physical world. They dominate that physical world and shape it into particular physical/conscious entities that are evolved versions of themselves.

When you solve the hard problem of consciousness, without having to evolve it from the inanimate objects of your particular form of materialism and also exactly explain the "beginning" of life, then you might get me to see things differently.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Consul wrote: November 22nd, 2019, 11:46 am"Lying"? It certainly doesn't follow from materialism/physicalism that it's physically possible for all physical systems and even their simple elements (elementary particles) to be subjects of experience.
The default hypothesis is that experince and the physical world are the same thing, we just sort of see double in our thinking.

Unless you can prove your extraordinary additional assumptions: that the experience and the physical are indeed two different things, and the experience somehow emerges from the physical. But it only emerges when the 'right' kind and 'right' amount of matter is arranged the 'right' ways, and has to be sufficiently complex (complex to whom?).
A ton of irrational and unnecessary assumptions without evidence.
What's the best, most plausible explanation of the psychophysical correlations in the light of our scientific knowledge?
Answer: Experiences are realized by (and both causally and existentially dependent on) electrochemical processes in central nervous systems; and they first appeared during the course of the evolution of animal brains when their electrochemical dynamics reached a certain level of functional-informational complexity and connectivity, which isn't found in any other types of physical systems, let alone in nonbiological ones.

"The human brain is the most complex entity we know of. It contains at least 90 billion neurons (nerve cells). Each of these is a complex information-processing device in its own right and interacts with about 1,000 other neurons. Understanding this degree of complexity is a daunting task."
Of course the best, most plausible hypothesis is what I said: that experince and the physical world are the same thing, we just sort of see double in our thinking.
It's just that rocks can't talk about their experience, now can they. It baffles me why most people don't get this, and automatically assume that rocks therefore must be void of experience.

Where are the rational thinkers?
True philosophy points to the Moon
RJG

Post by RJG »

Atla wrote:It's just that rocks can't talk about their experience, now can they. It baffles me why most people don't get this, and automatically assume that rocks therefore must be void of experience.
Rocks can certainly experience. They can experience vibrations, impacts, temperature changes, etc. They just have no way of "knowing" it (or talking about it).

Experiences (aka "bodily reactions") are one thing. And Conscious Experiences (aka "Consciousness") are another. Those that possess 'memory', have the capability to experience 'recognition'. Those that experience 'recognition' experience the "knowing" of their bodily reactions.

Consciousness is the experience of recognition (of bodily reactions), made possible by memory.
Atla

Post by Atla »

RJG wrote: November 25th, 2019, 8:42 am
Atla wrote:It's just that rocks can't talk about their experience, now can they. It baffles me why most people don't get this, and automatically assume that rocks therefore must be void of experience.
Rocks can certainly experience. They can experience vibrations, impacts, temperature changes, etc. They just have no way of "knowing" it (or talking about it).

Experiences (aka "bodily reactions") are one thing. And Conscious Experiences (aka "Consciousness") are another. Those that possess 'memory', have the capability to experience 'recognition'. Those that experience 'recognition' experience the "knowing" of their bodily reactions.

Consciousness is the experience of recognition (of bodily reactions), made possible by memory.
Yeah sort of, if we use the word "Consciousness that way".
(But if nothing is happening to a rock, the rock still isn't void "experience" or "Phenomenal consciousness". Its experience is just more or less static.)
True philosophy points to the Moon
Consul

Post by Consul »

RJG wrote: November 25th, 2019, 8:42 amRocks can certainly experience. They can experience vibrations, impacts, temperature changes, etc. They just have no way of "knowing" it (or talking about it).
It should be clear that the verb or noun "experience" is used in this context in the psychological sense. We're talking about mental experience (in the form of subjective sensations, emotions, or imaginations), and not about objective physical "experiences" in your sense.
Consul

Post by Consul »

BigBango wrote: November 25th, 2019, 1:30 amFirst of all I did not say "your" consciousness "just is". I said "consciousness "just is". Certainly the sensed world of objects also "comes into being every time I awake from a dreamless sleep and ceases to be every time I fall into a dreamless sleep." However I am sure that you, as a materialist, believe in a world of objects and they still exist during your dream time. You need to apply your logic to your own assumptions about the nature of reality. If you did we would have no consciousness in the world and no objects.
:?:
BigBango wrote: November 25th, 2019, 1:30 amI accept the tenants of "dual aspect philosophers" like Nagel, Searle even Leibniz. Consciousness never evolved from the material objects of science but has always existed in relation to the physical.
Searle is not a fundamentalist but an emergentist about consciousness!
BigBango wrote: November 25th, 2019, 1:30 amAgain see Tamminen. For Leibniz there are monads that are not divisible and are the source of individual conscious identities. These monads instantiate themselves in our world of physicality and that physical world is infinitely divisible. The "conscious monads" have always existed and they instantiate themselves in the physical world. They dominate that physical world and shape it into particular physical/conscious entities that are evolved versions of themselves.
When you solve the hard problem of consciousness, without having to evolve it from the inanimate objects of your particular form of materialism and also exactly explain the "beginning" of life, then you might get me to see things differently.
Under one interpretation, Leibniz's worldview is no different from Berkeley's: The world ultimately consists of nothing but immaterial minds/souls/spirits and their immaterial "ideas", i.e. their mental/experiential properties or states (what Leibniz calls "perceptions"), with apparent bodies or physical objects really being nothing but complexes of mental ideas or impressions.

But the hard problem of consciousness doesn't disappear when nonphysical souls are substituted for physical bodies (or brains) as substrates of consciousness, since then the question is how ideas or items of mentality/experientiality are realized (caused/created/generated/produced) by souls as immaterial substrates or subjects of mentality/experientiality. This is especially mysterious as those souls or spiritual monads are nothing more than "metaphysical points" (Leibniz), i.e. zero-dimensional objects. How could such a thing possibly be a subject of a mind, let alone a complex one housing different kinds of mental items?! This is much more mysterious than the claim that a single physical point-particle can be a mental subject.

Anyway, the very concept of a simple immaterial substance or spiritual monad is incoherent, because in order for it to be a substrate or subject of "ideas" or mental items it must have nonmental properties in addition to its mental ones; for otherwise it would be nothing but a nonsubstantial, substrateless complex of ideas or mental items. But if a soul has both mental properties and nonmental ones, then it's no longer a (purely) mental substance but a material one with mental properties. So Berkeley's&Leibniz's substance immaterialism/spiritualism collapses either into a pure "bundle" idealism without any substantial substrates or into materialism.

The next problem is that "bundle" idealism—according to which substrates or subjects of mentality are reducible to and thus nothing more than complexes of items of mentality ("system[s] of floating ideas, without any substance to support them" – Berkeley)—is itself incoherent, because mental items are ontologically dependent on mental substrates/subjects. So the only coherent option left is to regard mental subjects as material substances!
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:Rocks can certainly experience. They can experience vibrations, impacts, temperature changes, etc. They just have no way of "knowing" it (or talking about it).

Experiences (bodily reactions) are one thing. And Conscious Experiences (aka "Consciousness") are another
Consul wrote:It should be clear that the verb or noun "experience" is used in this context in the psychological sense. We're talking about mental experience (in the form of subjective sensations, emotions, or imaginations), and not about objective physical "experiences" in your sense.
A "subjective sensation" is a "conscious experience". Without a physical experience (non-conscious brain/body reaction), there can be no "sensation" for one to then be "conscious" of, nor can there be a "conscious experience", nor a "subjective sensation".

It all starts with the bodily experience (a non-conscious physical reaction), then 'recognition' (made possible by those with memory) occurs, then hark, we now have a "conscious experience", a "subjective experience"; we now have "consciousness"!

It is 'recognition' that converts a non-conscious bodily experience/reaction into a "conscious" experience.
Consul

Post by Consul »

RJG wrote: November 25th, 2019, 5:52 pm
Consul wrote:It should be clear that the verb or noun "experience" is used in this context in the psychological sense. We're talking about mental experience (in the form of subjective sensations, emotions, or imaginations), and not about objective physical "experiences" in your sense.
A "subjective sensation" is a "conscious experience". Without a physical experience (non-conscious brain/body reaction), there can be no "sensation" for one to then be "conscious" of, nor can there be a "conscious experience", nor a "subjective sensation".
Your "experiences" are simply physical/physiological occurrences (states/events/processes) in bodies or organisms, only some of which are or cause experiences properly so called, i.e. psychological ones. It's nonsensical and confusing to call everything happening to or in a body or organism an experience.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Consul, you are falsely equating "experience" as "conscious experience". These are two different things.
BigBango

Post by BigBango »

RJG wrote: November 25th, 2019, 7:06 pm Consul, you are falsely equating "experience" as "conscious experience". These are two different things.
I think RJG that Consul properly differentiated types of "experience" as, for one, brought up by Atla's experiencing rocks as physiological occurrences in contrast to "conscious experience" that is psychological in character as in:
Consul wrote: Your "experiences" are simply physical/physiological occurrences (states/events/processes) in bodies or organisms, only some of which are or cause experiences properly so called, i.e. psychological ones. It's nonsensical and confusing to call everything happening to or in a body or organism an experience.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream