Is abortion wrong?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
LuckyR

Re: Is abortion wrong?

Post by LuckyR »

Gnosis wrote: November 10th, 2019, 7:47 pm
cynicallyinsane wrote: April 20th, 2007, 6:45 pm Is abortion wrong? Is it okay? Why?
I think this discussion is nested in a deeper discussion of what is consciousness, what is life, is it okay to needlessly destroy a conscious being, does a fetus have consciousness or not? I think that if we were clear on what consciousness is and when it begins then we wouldn't have an issue with abortion, since murder is not the killing of a bundle of cells but the killing of a conscious being. If a fetus does not have a consciousness or if consciousness is nothing unique in itself but is only an arrangement of atoms then there should be no problem with abortion, but that would bring further problems, why would murder of a newborn or adult be wrong then? If on the other hand there was a unique consciousness in us, something akin to the soul, and a fetus has that consciousness then what right do we have to kill it? As I said this question is embedded in a much deeper question of what is it that makes us human, what is it that makes human life valuable. I think it is consciousness and I have a clear idea of what that is and when it begins, as do most other pro-lifers, I think it is really the pro-choice people who have no idea what makes human life valuable and causing all the confusion.
This implies a false choice, namely abortion is either totally great, if fetuses have no neural function, or it is so wrong it is akin to murder and should be banned.

The reality is closer to a third choice between the other two, abortion is a mild negative since fetuses have a very limited neural capacity, but since maternal autonomy is the leading consideration, due to their full neural capacity, it is reasonable option, that individuals should be free to consider.
"As usual... it depends."
Gnosis

Post by Gnosis »

LuckyR wrote: November 11th, 2019, 3:57 am

I think this discussion is nested in a deeper discussion of what is consciousness, what is life, is it okay to needlessly destroy a conscious being, does a fetus have consciousness or not? I think that if we were clear on what consciousness is and when it begins then we wouldn't have an issue with abortion, since murder is not the killing of a bundle of cells but the killing of a conscious being. If a fetus does not have a consciousness or if consciousness is nothing unique in itself but is only an arrangement of atoms then there should be no problem with abortion, but that would bring further problems, why would murder of a newborn or adult be wrong then? If on the other hand there was a unique consciousness in us, something akin to the soul, and a fetus has that consciousness then what right do we have to kill it? As I said this question is embedded in a much deeper question of what is it that makes us human, what is it that makes human life valuable. I think it is consciousness and I have a clear idea of what that is and when it begins, as do most other pro-lifers, I think it is really the pro-choice people who have no idea what makes human life valuable and causing all the confusion.
This implies a false choice, namely abortion is either totally great, if fetuses have no neural function, or it is so wrong it is akin to murder and should be banned.

The reality is closer to a third choice between the other two, abortion is a mild negative since fetuses have a very limited neural capacity, but since maternal autonomy is the leading consideration, due to their full neural capacity, it is reasonable option, that individuals should be free to consider.
This is only because you consider consciousness to be of a complex nature, a composite of neurons, which makes it nothing special. I highly doubt that is the case, it seems like consciousness is fundamental, that it cannot be divided and is just like all other fundamental particles and laws, I don't see how any neural arrangement could bring consciousness about. When you consider consciousness as fundamental and indivisible the number of neural cells or otherwise associated with it becomes irrelevant,

Your definition of consciousness is a typical materialist definition and many people don't buy it, this is why I said we first need the discussion of what is consciousness. This is a problem of philosophy just as much as it is of science since science is founded on empiricism and empiricism is a school of philosophy that is founded on consciousness. Furthermore, it is imaginable that all our brain functions could occur subconsciously, yet we are conscious for some reason, this difference suggests that there could be something else other than neurons responsible for consciousness. And I don't mean conscious thought, but conscious perception, feelings and emotions rather than complex thoughts. I grant that intelligence is something AI can do, but conscious perception? Impossible, only unconscious perception but not a conscious one, since perception is like an input/output, and neurons are only capable of processing, they cannot see without eyes nor move without muscles. Equally, no combination of unconscious neurons will give rise to conscious perception, the logic just does not follow, it's like trying to claim that a certain combination of neurons will be capable of moving objects by themselves, unless there is some muscular tissue attached to it there is no way that is happening.
Gnosis

Post by Gnosis »

Greta wrote: November 11th, 2019, 1:25 am Why favour an unthinking and unfeeling human foetus over intelligent and aware large mammals, who have personalities, relationships and a social place, whom we slaughter without much care?

It's the same reason that a dog pack favours its own members over outsiders. Humans simply tend to favour their own, an evolutionary tendency. There are all manner of non-credible ideas put forward post-hoc by so called "pro-lifers" to justify their inherent biases.

"Pro-life" my fat aunt! How many of these so-called pro-lifers worry similarly about rampant gun murders in the US or the waging of needless warfare in the middle east, or who are concerned for the welfare of Mexican children in camps? A small percentage would be my guess. You can't worry about everyone - the world is full of death and disaster. I personally will favour the interests of an adult over that of a non-viable foetus every day of the week.

It's a simple equation. Is the foetus viable? If not, then abortion is a reasonable option, if need be.
1) Because we are not convinced it is unfeeling. 2) Going by that logic, would you kill a small born child if it was in your interest? 3) If yes this is no longer an abortion discussion but a discussion of basic morality
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Your choices make zero sense.

A baby is viable, an early stage foetus is non viable. As stated above.
Gnosis

Post by Gnosis »

Greta wrote: November 11th, 2019, 7:52 pm Your choices make zero sense.

A baby is viable, an early stage foetus is non viable. As stated above.
What do you mean by viable? Pretty sure if you don't look out for your kids they will die they need constant care. Why is a newborn viable and a fetus not? what is your criteria?
Gnosis

Post by Gnosis »

Furthermore how will you ever manage to place a date? You think a fetus magically turns into a baby at a set date? Embryonic development is a gradual process with no clear cut defined line between human and fetus other than conception itself.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Gnosis wrote: November 11th, 2019, 9:23 pm Furthermore how will you ever manage to place a date? You think a fetus magically turns into a baby at a set date? Embryonic development is a gradual process with no clear cut defined line between human and fetus other than conception itself.
I think you are sticking your nose into issues that are other people's business. Let the mothers and doctors decide for themselves. Alas, I forgot that the masses are apparently bored with living in a democracy that allows personal freedom. Especially freedom for women and dark people.

None of the division between foetus and baby matters because babies don't especially matter. Let's not pretend that they do. They are not sacred.

They don't matter more than the unemployed that we drive to suicide, nor those who are mentally ill and cannot gain treatment, nor those living in refugee camps etc.

Babies are are just undeveloped life forms like any others. That includes lefties, Muslims, blacks, Jews, whites, gays, lesbians, suicide bombers, killers, rapists, thieves, predators, liars ... all of those who are hated and wished dead by millions.

What of dogs, cats, cockroaches, trees and weeds. These are all alive, and not sacred either.

Why do people fret so much over small life forms unrelated to them? Ideology. Full stop. There is no rational reason.

Newborn babies lack any appreciable emotions or mentality, possessing only just a blind drive to survive, with far less capacity to suffer than the cows, chickens and pigs that we happily and routinely torture for our meals. A cow is infinitely more intelligent, aware and emotional than any newborn.

Why do you not care about their suffering and pain? I have never seen you mention it. Why is it okay to drive women to hell, maybe suicide, over the decision to terminate the pregnancy with an unwanted non-sentient being? The loss of the woman is infinitely more of a tragedy than the loss of an unthinking life from.

Babies were once the future. That's why humans and other species are evolved to be obsessive about them. However, babies are no longer the future, they are just more of what the world desperately does not need - more humans.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Gnosis wrote: November 11th, 2019, 5:05 am
LuckyR wrote: November 11th, 2019, 3:57 am

This is only because you consider consciousness to be of a complex nature, a composite of neurons, which makes it nothing special. I highly doubt that is the case, it seems like consciousness is fundamental, that it cannot be divided and is just like all other fundamental particles and laws, I don't see how any neural arrangement could bring consciousness about. When you consider consciousness as fundamental and indivisible the number of neural cells or otherwise associated with it becomes irrelevant,

Your definition of consciousness is a typical materialist definition and many people don't buy it, this is why I said we first need the discussion of what is consciousness. This is a problem of philosophy just as much as it is of science since science is founded on empiricism and empiricism is a school of philosophy that is founded on consciousness. Furthermore, it is imaginable that all our brain functions could occur subconsciously, yet we are conscious for some reason, this difference suggests that there could be something else other than neurons responsible for consciousness. And I don't mean conscious thought, but conscious perception, feelings and emotions rather than complex thoughts. I grant that intelligence is something AI can do, but conscious perception? Impossible, only unconscious perception but not a conscious one, since perception is like an input/output, and neurons are only capable of processing, they cannot see without eyes nor move without muscles. Equally, no combination of unconscious neurons will give rise to conscious perception, the logic just does not follow, it's like trying to claim that a certain combination of neurons will be capable of moving objects by themselves, unless there is some muscular tissue attached to it there is no way that is happening.
Well, nice attempt to have it both ways. Specifically, you're quite comfortable pontificating what consciousness is not (brain activity) yet extremely squishy describing what it's source is, if not brain activity.

Essentially words without meaning.
Gnosis

Post by Gnosis »

LuckyR wrote: November 13th, 2019, 2:30 am
Gnosis wrote: November 11th, 2019, 5:05 am

Well, nice attempt to have it both ways. Specifically, you're quite comfortable pontificating what consciousness is not (brain activity) yet extremely squishy describing what it's source is, if not brain activity.

Not everything has a source, some things are a source, that's why I called it fundamental. It is illogical to ask how something fundamental operates. Go read about infinite regress. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6UW3Imn5b8
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Gnosis wrote: November 14th, 2019, 8:10 am
LuckyR wrote: November 13th, 2019, 2:30 am

Not everything has a source, some things are a source, that's why I called it fundamental. It is illogical to ask how something fundamental operates. Go read about infinite regress. Here is a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6UW3Imn5b8
Do you drawn a distinction between human consciousness and canine consciousness?
amplified cactus

Post by amplified cactus »

For me it's simple: (1) Others have the right to occupy your body only with your explicit consent. (2) You have the right to revoke consent to the occupation of your body for any reason at any time. (3) It's acceptable to use lethal force against somebody occupying your body without your consent.

So abortion is always permssible in my view. If I were king, there wouldn't be any restrictions on abortion at all.
amplified cactus

cynicallyinsane wrote: April 20th, 2007, 6:45 pm Is abortion wrong? Is it okay? Why?
The status of the foetus is totally irrelevant to me. Even if the foetus has enough cognitive sophistication that it's writing papers in quantum physics, abortion is still permissible. The reason why you should have a right to kill it is that, in general, you should have a right to kill people in self-defense when those people are posing severe threats to your bodily autonomy. What counts as a "severe threat to bodily autonomy"? Well, that's obviously vague, but thankfully for this particular discussion, pregnancy is an easy case. I'm inclined to say that nonconsensual sex counts as a severe violation of bodily autonomy, and so it's acceptable to kill rapists in self-defense. Nonconsensual pregnancy is a far greater violation of bodily autonomy than nonconsensual sex: it lasts far longer, the thing inside you is larger, and it produces a host of physiological changes.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

amplified cactus wrote: December 30th, 2019, 3:42 am For me it's simple: (1) Others have the right to occupy your body only with your explicit consent. (2) You have the right to revoke consent to the occupation of your body for any reason at any time. (3) It's acceptable to use lethal force against somebody occupying your body without your consent.

So abortion is always permssible in my view. If I were king, there wouldn't be any restrictions on abortion at all.
So you are cool with infanticide 5 minutes before delivery of an otherwise normal infant?
amplified cactus

LuckyR wrote: December 31st, 2019, 2:46 am
amplified cactus wrote: December 30th, 2019, 3:42 am For me it's simple: (1) Others have the right to occupy your body only with your explicit consent. (2) You have the right to revoke consent to the occupation of your body for any reason at any time. (3) It's acceptable to use lethal force against somebody occupying your body without your consent.

So you are cool with infanticide 5 minutes before delivery of an otherwise normal infant?
Yes, at least in principle. It's difficult to imagine circumstances where a woman would choose to do that. If she has carried the pregnancy to term, and has been happy with it up to that point, it would be odd for her to change her mind at the last minute. We'd need to make sure that she really does want to revoke consent and to use lethal force, and that she's not just saying this as a result of being high on drugs or something like that.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

amplified cactus wrote: December 31st, 2019, 2:53 am
LuckyR wrote: December 31st, 2019, 2:46 am

Yes, at least in principle. It's difficult to imagine circumstances where a woman would choose to do that. If she has carried the pregnancy to term, and has been happy with it up to that point, it would be odd for her to change her mind at the last minute. We'd need to make sure that she really does want to revoke consent and to use lethal force, and that she's not just saying this as a result of being high on drugs or something like that.
Then very few, if any professional medical ethicists agree with you, let alone lay society.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream