Magical thinking in science and philosophy

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: Magical thinking in science and philosophy

Post by Terrapin Station »

Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 12:31 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Yes, I read the rest of the comment. But I wanted you to answer my question.

So apparently you didn't answer my question, and I have no idea what "Sure" was in response to. Could you answer my question first?
You are making pretty lame attempts at trolling, don't you think?
Sigh. I'm trying to have a discussion with you. Why does that have to be so difficult?
Atla

Post by Atla »

Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 12:34 pm
Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 12:31 pm
You are making pretty lame attempts at trolling, don't you think?
Sigh. I'm trying to have a discussion with you. Why does that have to be so difficult?
Actually it wasn't that bad, I'll give you a 6/10 :lol:
True philosophy points to the Moon
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

I'm trying to write very plainly/straightforwardly. I asked you a simple question that I was hoping you'd answer. You appeared to answer (since you wrote "Sure"), but apparently, per you above, that wasn't an answer to the question(s) I asked. In a conversation, usually you can ask someone a question and they'll answer it.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Atla wrote: January 10th, 2020, 4:27 pmHere are my 3 favourites (there are more, but these take the prize in my opinion):

1. Strong emergence. We get something out of nothing, for example: we get mind out of matter; we get qualia out of the complexity of matter; we get the Big Bang and the entire universe out of nothing and so on.

People employ the technique of handwaving to demonstrate how something extra emeeeerges out of nothing.
Ontological (strong) emergence is not an emergence ex nihilo, because all emergent properties of a system are grounded or rooted in structural properties of it, i.e. in groups of relations between and properties of the system's elements.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars
Atla

Post by Atla »

Consul wrote: January 11th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Atla wrote: January 10th, 2020, 4:27 pmHere are my 3 favourites (there are more, but these take the prize in my opinion):

1. Strong emergence. We get something out of nothing, for example: we get mind out of matter; we get qualia out of the complexity of matter; we get the Big Bang and the entire universe out of nothing and so on.

People employ the technique of handwaving to demonstrate how something extra emeeeerges out of nothing.
Ontological (strong) emergence is not an emergence ex nihilo, because all emergent properties of a system are grounded or rooted in structural properties of it, i.e. in groups of relations between and properties of the system's elements.
Then aren't you talking about weak emergence?
For example the Big Bang emerging out of 'nothing': what structural properties or relation between its elements or whatever does 'nothing' possess?
True philosophy points to the Moon
creation

Post by creation »

Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:22 am
Terrapin Station wrote: January 11th, 2020, 11:17 am

You're not thinking that the standard model lists every single property of all matter, are you? For example, does it list the properties of how stereo systems produce music from vinyl albums?
Sure, the part of the inside of the human head called human mind is made of 'matter', and stereo systems are made of 'matter' etc., but then everything is a property of matter. I don't think that's a good definition for property.
So, according to you when a human head is cut open then there will be seen particles of 'matter', which you would say is the human "mind"?
Consul

Post by Consul »

Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 4:10 pm
Consul wrote: January 11th, 2020, 4:02 pmOntological (strong) emergence is not an emergence ex nihilo, because all emergent properties of a system are grounded or rooted in structural properties of it, i.e. in groups of relations between and properties of the system's elements.
Then aren't you talking about weak emergence?
No.
Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 4:10 pmFor example the Big Bang emerging out of 'nothing': what structural properties or relation between its elements or whatever does 'nothing' possess?
There's no possible (ontological) emergence out of nothing, because it's part of the very concept of emergence that emergent entities are founded on, grounded or rooted in other entities. Emergent attributes are ontologically irreducible but not ontologically independent.
The_architect

Post by The_architect »

I talked to a man who was run over by a car. At the emergency room he flat lined 3 or 4 times for several seconds, up to a minute or so each time. He said he remembered what it felt like during those moments of death because he had them so frequently. He described it as feeling like "nothing". He said it was the most awesome feeling. He couldn't describe it any other way. He said it was the most peaceful feeling, that his mind didn't think, it was turned off, but he had an awareness of "nothing".

I wasn't the least surprised. My theory on life is that it is fundamentally a creature of polarity. Where there is life, there is death: where there is everything, there is nothing. Light, dark. Good, evil. Prey, predator. Time, no time. The Big Bang is not a problem because the Nothing is still there. It is out of our reach, however. Everything and Nothing co-exist. They are two parallel states. Then there is the 1s and 0s of life that I suggest as so:

1 DNA evolve 0 AND love 1 DNA evolve 0 AND love ...

Note that "love" are the first 4 letter of evolve spelled backwards, as DNA and AND mirror each other. We don't evolve by one lifetime; that doesn't make sense. To evolve as a species with singular DNA within that species, meaning we are actually individual subspecies, you need to regenerate. One lifetime does not regenerate. It is only logical that our individual DNA must regenerate to evolve; hence, more than one liftetime. And, I believe what is evolving is our capacity for love, not the capability of our minds. It is not necessarily a religious thing; it is a survival thing. If we plan to remain a fixture on this planet we will need to grow our capacity for love of humanity to prevent war and annihilation and the cooperative global effort to maintain a healthy environment on Earth.

The magic of science is the incredulity it defines in our universe. It certainly seems to be discovering and defining the divine. In any case, the numbers and facts are so astronomical they are out of our brain's league. That is unquestionable. We have the knowledge but we don't comprehend them so much. We've only been here for two seconds, after all. If God existed since the beginning of time or infinitely, He only created us 2 seconds ago in the age of the universe. Why did He wait so long? Did it take Earth that long to become inhabitable? Why was He dependent on a growth line in the first place? Trial and error?
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Consul wrote: January 12th, 2020, 12:01 pm
Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 4:10 pm Then aren't you talking about weak emergence?
No.
Atla wrote: January 11th, 2020, 4:10 pmFor example the Big Bang emerging out of 'nothing': what structural properties or relation between its elements or whatever does 'nothing' possess?
There's no possible (ontological) emergence out of nothing, because it's part of the very concept of emergence that emergent entities are founded on, grounded or rooted in other entities. Emergent attributes are ontologically irreducible but not ontologically independent.
Since we have only one example of the "big bang", there is no empirical precedent to comment on the possibility or impossibility of this event.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Sculptor1 wrote:Since we have only one example of the "big bang", there is no empirical precedent to comment on the possibility or impossibility of this event.
Very good point. I think this illustrates the way that the concept of probability is often misused. Probability and Statistics go together for a reason. And Statistics is the study of lots of stuff happening. Not just one stuff. Although I don't think that's the official definition of it.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Sculptor1 wrote: January 12th, 2020, 1:22 pm
Consul wrote: January 12th, 2020, 12:01 pmThere's no possible (ontological) emergence out of nothing, because it's part of the very concept of emergence that emergent entities are founded on, grounded or rooted in other entities. Emergent attributes are ontologically irreducible but not ontologically independent.
Since we have only one example of the "big bang", there is no empirical precedent to comment on the possibility or impossibility of this event.
My point is that if the Big Bang is the absolute beginning of the matter-energy-space-time system, then it's not a case of emergence, since emergence from nothing is non-emergence.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Consul wrote:My point is that if the Big Bang is the absolute beginning of the matter-energy-space-time system, then it's not a case of emergence, since emergence from nothing is non-emergence
Also a good point.
h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Post by h_k_s »

Present awareness wrote: January 10th, 2020, 9:15 pm
Atla wrote: January 10th, 2020, 4:27 pm Here are my 3 favourites (there are more, but these take the prize in my opinion):

2. Encoded information. Shannon information is a dimensionless abstract concept created in the last century. So then people employed the technique of the reification fallacy to treat information as a newly discovered thing that exists in addition to matter. So now bits of information are encoded 'in' matter and so on, effectively duplicating the universe.

3. Classical realm vs quantum realm. People employed the technique of shut up and calculate so they could sweep the problems under the carpet.
So if I zoom out and squint this way, it's all 'real' and it's the classical world. If I zoom in and squint that way, none of it is 'real' and it's the quantum world.

I don't get it, why are such fallacies still so mainstream?
Something from nothing is not a logical proposition, so like you say, magic would have to be involved. The three most common ideas on how the universe came to be are:
1. The universe appeared out of nothing with a Big Bang
2. God created the universe
3. The universe was always here

Number 3 seems most logical to me, since the present moment is always here and everything exists in the present. Number 1 doesn’t make much sense and number two has the problem of whom created God?
I must agree with you, Present awareness .

#3 seems the most logical.

The other two result in major self-contradictions, dilemmas, and paradoxes.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

Steve3007 wrote: January 12th, 2020, 2:42 pm
Consul wrote:My point is that if the Big Bang is the absolute beginning of the matter-energy-space-time system, then it's not a case of emergence, since emergence from nothing is non-emergence
Also a good point.
Stop blowing sunshine up his rotunda Steve3007 . It is pure nonsense. See #3 supra. That is the only logical, philosophically sound conclusion.
h_k_s

Post by h_k_s »

The_architect wrote: January 12th, 2020, 1:12 pm I talked to a man who was run over by a car. At the emergency room he flat lined 3 or 4 times for several seconds, up to a minute or so each time. He said he remembered what it felt like during those moments of death because he had them so frequently. He described it as feeling like "nothing". He said it was the most awesome feeling. He couldn't describe it any other way. He said it was the most peaceful feeling, that his mind didn't think, it was turned off, but he had an awareness of "nothing".

I wasn't the least surprised. My theory on life is that it is fundamentally a creature of polarity. Where there is life, there is death: where there is everything, there is nothing. Light, dark. Good, evil. Prey, predator. Time, no time. The Big Bang is not a problem because the Nothing is still there. It is out of our reach, however. Everything and Nothing co-exist. They are two parallel states. Then there is the 1s and 0s of life that I suggest as so:

1 DNA evolve 0 AND love 1 DNA evolve 0 AND love ...

Note that "love" are the first 4 letter of evolve spelled backwards, as DNA and AND mirror each other. We don't evolve by one lifetime; that doesn't make sense. To evolve as a species with singular DNA within that species, meaning we are actually individual subspecies, you need to regenerate. One lifetime does not regenerate. It is only logical that our individual DNA must regenerate to evolve; hence, more than one liftetime. And, I believe what is evolving is our capacity for love, not the capability of our minds. It is not necessarily a religious thing; it is a survival thing. If we plan to remain a fixture on this planet we will need to grow our capacity for love of humanity to prevent war and annihilation and the cooperative global effort to maintain a healthy environment on Earth.

The magic of science is the incredulity it defines in our universe. It certainly seems to be discovering and defining the divine. In any case, the numbers and facts are so astronomical they are out of our brain's league. That is unquestionable. We have the knowledge but we don't comprehend them so much. We've only been here for two seconds, after all. If God existed since the beginning of time or infinitely, He only created us 2 seconds ago in the age of the universe. Why did He wait so long? Did it take Earth that long to become inhabitable? Why was He dependent on a growth line in the first place? Trial and error?
Just because someone gets run over by a car does not necessarily mean they have experienced "death."

That is the fallacy in your story @architect .

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream