The "God exists" paradox

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Prof Bulani

Re: The "God exists" paradox

Post by Prof Bulani »

Pattern-chaser wrote: January 16th, 2020, 10:56 am And how do you, as an atheist (I presume) know what theists think or prefer? Surely it would be better to write what you know best: your own position. As an atheist, you can hardly be expected to present the theist's case sympathetically, can you? 😉
Didn't you just make the point that Spinoza was originally a theist, yet his definition of God had him effectively excommunicated from the Jewish community, and even labeled as a closet atheist? Didn't Spinoza abandon the definition of God as defined in the Jewish religion for a definition of God that, whilst logical, was drastically less ideal than his initial definition of God? I'm not the one speaking for theists, I'm just going by what you just said.
"The purpose of life is to survive and replicate" - Erik von Markovik
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Prof Bulani wrote: January 16th, 2020, 10:56 am Indeterminate means "it is not known". Do not interchange this with "it cannot be known".
It is both, so there is no confusion.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Terrapin Station wrote: January 16th, 2020, 10:58 am But this is about what particular theists would believe.
Once again I ask you: how do you know what theists believe? Watching you setting up and then destroying straw man after straw man, I'm starting to get a little bored. Couldn't you just entertain us with your own beliefs, opinions and ideas?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:16 am
Terrapin Station wrote: January 16th, 2020, 10:58 am But this is about what particular theists would believe.
Once again I ask you: how do you know what theists believe? Watching you setting up and then destroying straw man after straw man, I'm starting to get a little bored. Couldn't you just entertain us with your own beliefs, opinions and ideas?
Ooops! 😊😊😊 I answered Terrapin Station, mistakenly thinking the post was written by Prof Bulani. Apologies for confusing matters!
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Prof Bulani wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:04 am
Pattern-chaser wrote: January 16th, 2020, 10:56 am And how do you, as an atheist (I presume) know what theists think or prefer? Surely it would be better to write what you know best: your own position. As an atheist, you can hardly be expected to present the theist's case sympathetically, can you? 😉
Didn't you just make the point that Spinoza was originally a theist, yet his definition of God had him effectively excommunicated from the Jewish community, and even labeled as a closet atheist? Didn't Spinoza abandon the definition of God as defined in the Jewish religion for a definition of God that, whilst logical, was drastically less ideal than his initial definition of God? I'm not the one speaking for theists, I'm just going by what you just said.
No, that wasn't me. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't read carefully enough! 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Terrapin Station wrote: January 16th, 2020, 10:17 am
Sculptor1 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 10:05 am

So why would any god sustain a system of logic that acts to refute god's existence?
No religious believer would say that logic does this. They'd say that people who think it does either don't understand something about God, or something about logic, or they're making errors, etc.
But it was you that made the point.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

I think that was me, though I think Spinoza was never really a theist in the conventional sense. He was a theist in the sense of wanting to stay alive. Atheism was a burning issue in his time.
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Pattern-chaser wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:13 am
Prof Bulani wrote: January 16th, 2020, 10:56 am Indeterminate means "it is not known". Do not interchange this with "it cannot be known".
It is both, so there is no confusion.
It is not interchangeable. "I don't know" can never mean "nobody can ever possibly know".
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Prof Bulani wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:42 am It is not interchangeable. "I don't know" can never mean "nobody can ever possibly know".
No, of course it can't. But in this case, both may be correctly applied, as both are true for this particular case. I'm sure I made that clear...?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Pattern-chaser wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:19 am No, that wasn't me. I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't read carefully enough! 😉
8) it happens.

Perhaps mentioning that I was a theist for most of my life would be irrelevant to you. The issue here isn't making assumptions about what theists believe, but rather discussing what theists claim. If a theists claims that they believe that God created the universe, I can't know what they believe, neither is it relevant. However, I can address what they claim. If that theist were top subsequently investigate the evidence we have pertaining the universe, and conclude, for example, that God initiated the big bang and let things fall in place naturally, then they've modified their own definition of God, since they are conceding that no creation process took place.

All I'm doing is pointing out that there is always a discrepancy in the definition of God before the proof and after the proof. Again, their beliefs are beyond me, I'm just interested in their claims.
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Pattern-chaser wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:45 am
Prof Bulani wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:42 am It is not interchangeable. "I don't know" can never mean "nobody can ever possibly know".
No, of course it can't. But in this case, both may be correctly applied, as both are true for this particular case. I'm sure I made that clear...?
I'm sorry, but I can't buy your appeal to special pleading here. Your assertion that something cannot be known requires your omniscience, in this case and in any other case.
Prof Bulani

Post by Prof Bulani »

Sculptor1 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:32 am
I think that was me, though I think Spinoza was never really a theist in the conventional sense. He was a theist in the sense of wanting to stay alive. Atheism was a burning issue in his time.
A pattern may be emerging here. Having proven that God exists, Aristotle is now under suspicion of possibly never believing in God to begin with. And it seems as though the same may be true with Spinoza. Do you think we're on to something? Does proving that God exists imply that one believes that God doesn't exist?
creation

Post by creation »

Prof Bulani wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:28 am I want to mention @creation, a participant in this forum that believes God exists, but forgoes the conventional definitions of God, defining God as a duality of the universe (which exists) and the Mind (i.e., the collective of all knowledge that exists in the universe, some of which is captured in the human experience). Since no paradox arises in demonstrating that God, per this definition, actually exists, this may be an exception to the phenomenon this thread is addressing. Of course, this isn't in any way close to the popular definitions of God.
I think that you will find that my definitions of God here are in just about every way as close to the popular definitions of God as you will ever get.

That is if I am ever given the chance and allowed to actually show how my definitions are as close to the popular definitions of God as you will get and can be.

The definitions I provided have come about because of, and from, some of the conventional or popular definitions of God. I did not just make up my definitions for the word 'God' without taking in consideration of some of the other conventional or popular definitions of God.

I also want to make it absolutely 100% CLEAR that I neither believe nor disbelieve God exists. Okay?
Prof Bulani wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:28 am But it's a definition nonetheless, and as such I'll work with it. Not personally, mind you, but as a counterexample to other proofs that God exists.
If you want to use my definition as a "counterexample" to other proofs that God exists, then be forewarned and do not be at all surprised if, and when, I counter your "counterexample" with examples that show and/or prove how just about all of the other conventional and/or popular definitions of God also fit in perfectly with my definition of God, which you admit demonstrates that God does exist.
anonymous66

Post by anonymous66 »

Prof Bulani wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:16 am
anonymous66 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:01 am I read your OP as the assertion: "If God exists then many problems arise- because that means God is limited by the physical". I am merely pointing out that many believe that God is not physical- and those same people make very few claims about God. They believe that all that we can say about God is what God is not.

Not all definitions of God are paradoxical in the way you suggest.
Fair enough. That was neither my assertion nor my implication. And to clarify, I explicitly stated that the problem isn't giving God a non-physical definition. That's not what the paradox is about. It is evident now that I could have been clearer in my op. The paradox doesn't exist in the case of any one single definition, but rather it is the discrepancy among the two definitions that arise when someone attempts to prove that God exists: namely the initial definition, and the logically consistent definition. For the most part, it's unnecessary to define God in a logically consistent way to merely believe that God exists. This is by large the normal way people believe in God. It's only when an individual is challenged to use some form of solid logic to argue that God actually exists, taking as objective an approach as they can, that they must abandon this idealist definition and modify it to something that actually is logically consistent. The paradox occurs within the mind of the one doing the proving, as a God that can be demonstrated with logic to exist in reality is always an unimpressive and often useless God, far removed from the definition they idealized originally.

In my last few comments I expounded on Aristotle's proof of God, and the transition his definition of God underwent. Very likely I'll go into other cases of logical proofs of God as examples of the same paradox occurring.
Assuming for the sake of argument that your narrative of how Aristotle changed his views about God is correct (and I'm not convinced it is)- what do you mean by "unimpressive and useless?" The narrative you use suggests that Aristotle changed his view of God from that of merely accepting what his culture believed, to using logic to determine what God must "really be like". Shouldn't we look to see if Aristotle's later view of God (according to your narrative) is coherent and logical? What do you take Aristotle's later view to be? And what, in your estimation, are the problems with that view?

I'm also curious- if Aristotle had no view of God to begin with, and then attempted to formulate a view of God using logic and reason- Does that change anything for you? What would you make of Aristotle's efforts? (What do you make of people have no preconceived notions of God, and then who go on to formulate a view of God using logic and reason?)
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Pattern-chaser wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:16 am
:-/ :-\ I've not been "destroying" anything. I've actually been arguing in defense of theists that they don't posit a God that they then say can't exist in reality.

The way I know what a lot of theists say is via talking to them, reading what they write, etc. for the past four-plus decades.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream