Proof that Time Dilation does not effect time.

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: Proof that Time Dilation does not effect time.

Post by Terrapin Station »

gater wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 5:56 pm
Steve3007 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 5:32 pm

What do you use to measure a "constant, eternal, universal now"? Can you buy one from the supermarket?
Time doesn't need a clock to be time.
Right, but there needs to be motion or change in some particulars (relative to others).
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

gater wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 5:54 pm The center of the earth is younger than the surface? - Wrong The core of the earth is older than the surface, I know this because when the earth was formed the core was already there, and since then matter has fallen to the earth, and the atmosphere came when the earth started to cool. - All of the gold that has been found on earth came after the earth started to cool, because if the gold were here when earth formed it would have sunk to become part of the core.
It was not a question of the time the layers of the earth were formed. Due to the effects of gravity, from the time the earth was fully formed until now, time passed slower in the middle than on the outside, by about 2+1/2 years total. It is telling us about the passage of time at a certain location. The matter that was in the middle might have since risen to the top, or vice versa.
Steve3007 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 11:56 am So it's complicated. The general approach that physics takes to manage complexity: assume the horse is spherical.
The earth is about 25 miles more narrow at the poles than at the equator. Sea level in various places is actually miles nearer to or further from the center of the earth. People in Alaska are miles nearer to the center of the earth than those in Hawaii, so some fraction of that 2+1/2 years applies to those locations in comparison.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
gater

Post by gater »

chewybrian wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 7:29 pm
gater wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 5:54 pm The center of the earth is younger than the surface? - Wrong The core of the earth is older than the surface, I know this because when the earth was formed the core was already there, and since then matter has fallen to the earth, and the atmosphere came when the earth started to cool. - All of the gold that has been found on earth came after the earth started to cool, because if the gold were here when earth formed it would have sunk to become part of the core.
It was not a question of the time the layers of the earth were formed. Due to the effects of gravity, from the time the earth was fully formed until now, time passed slower in the middle than on the outside, by about 2+1/2 years total. It is telling us about the passage of time at a certain location. The matter that was in the middle might have since risen to the top, or vice versa.

Time passes slower in the middle than on the outside? - this is false. Time passes at the same rate everywhere in the Universe.
gater

Post by gater »

Steve3007 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 3:42 am
gater wrote:If Time Dilation actually effected Time - wouldn't there be spots on earth that are second slower or faster than the rest of the planet?
What you're asking here is this: "What observable phenomenon does the theory predict?" How might you find an answer to that question?

I have a wild and crazy idea: you could actually read what the theory predicts. If you do that, do you find anybody proposing a theory which predicts that "spots on earth are second slower or faster than the rest of the planet"? If so, please quote it. If not, who and what exactly are you disagreeing with?
The moronic Scientific Community that thinks Time Dilation effects time.
gater

Post by gater »

h_k_s wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:26 am
gater wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 5:28 pm I have argued that Time Dilation is the effect that gravity has on devices that measure time, but it has no effect on Time itself.
In the past 50 - 75 years, man has learned to accurately measure time. Everywhere on earth has exactly the same time, of course we have time zones, so it might be 12:05:03 in Los Angeles and 8:05:03 in London. Always the same - everywhere on earth.
If Time Dilation actually effected Time - wouldn't there be spots on earth that are second slower or faster than the rest of the planet?
But there has NEVER been any evidence that time is not a constant. I submit that this is proof that Time is a constant.
There has never been any evidence that "time" even exists.

I don't think they could get 5 million for a 30 second Superbowl add if time didn't exist
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

gater wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 7:59 pm Time passes slower in the middle than on the outside? - this is false. Time passes at the same rate everywhere in the Universe.
I am not the best source on this, but I am pretty sure I got this right. Here is an easier source if you want to check it out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitati ... e_dilation
This has been demonstrated by noting that atomic clocks at differing altitudes (and thus different gravitational potential) will eventually show different times. The effects detected in such Earth-bound experiments are extremely small, with differences being measured in nanoseconds. Relative to Earth's age in billions of years, Earth's core is effectively 2.5 years younger than its surface.[2] Demonstrating larger effects would require greater distances from the Earth or a larger gravitational source.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

gater wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 8:02 pm
Steve3007 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 3:42 am

What you're asking here is this: "What observable phenomenon does the theory predict?" How might you find an answer to that question?

I have a wild and crazy idea: you could actually read what the theory predicts. If you do that, do you find anybody proposing a theory which predicts that "spots on earth are second slower or faster than the rest of the planet"? If so, please quote it. If not, who and what exactly are you disagreeing with?
The moronic Scientific Community that thinks Time Dilation effects time.
Should I lock the thread? I'm not seeing much of interest going on. Is the premise that time dilation locally doesn't change the time of a star across the other side of the galaxy?

Is the premise that space cannot be bent so as to change the course of light or the pace of entropy?
RJG

Post by RJG »

LuckyR wrote:...time only has meaning when measured by clocks.
So if there were no clocks (or measuring devices), then there would be no time?

Terrapin Station wrote:Time is simply motion or changes.
Since we need time for motion/change to "occur", time therefore cannot be motion/change.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

However, there can be no time in a changeless universe.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

gater wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 5:28 pm
LuckyR wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 5:17 pm

OK, please describe this "time" thing you are going on about, in the absence of time measuring equipment.
Time is the measurement of the constant, eternal, universal now. There was no beginning of time.
Measurement? I said in the absence of time measuring equipment.

Try again.
"As usual... it depends."
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

RJG wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 11:55 pm
Pretty much yeah. Though the day/night cycle is a time measuring device (to measure a day), for example.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

LuckyR wrote: January 24th, 2020, 1:52 am
Pretty much yeah. Though the day/night cycle is a time measuring device (to measure a day), for example.
I would think there was time in the life cycles of stars and planets as they go through their various stages.

A timeless universe would effectively either be completely chaotic or completely ordered. Total chaos lacks structure and differentiation while total order lacks change. So the dance of order and chaos is needed for time to be, for almost everything to exist, really.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Steve3007 wrote:I have a wild and crazy idea: you could actually read what the theory predicts.
gater wrote:The moronic Scientific Community that thinks Time Dilation effects time.
Yes, those morons. Start with the moron called Galileo, work forward through morons such as Kepler, Newton, Faraday and Maxwell, until you reach such morons as Einstein and Lorentz. To find out what they think or thought, can you think of a method? (Clue: I mentioned the method in the quote from my post, above.)

(Words are defined by usage, so I'm assuming from the context that word "moron" means "person".)
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Steve3007 wrote:assume the horse is spherical
chewybrian wrote:The earth is about 25 miles more narrow at the poles than at the equator.
I shouldn't make obscure unexplained references. Sorry. Ignore that part of my post.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Terrapin Station wrote:Time is simply motion or changes.
Since we need time for motion/change to "occur", time therefore cannot be motion/change.
This is a good example for Greta re something scientists often say to me a la not disagreeing with me.

And they say it because they don't understand what I'm claiming, where they have a difficult time thinking outside of the well-worn grooves that have been made by being familiar with the usual language of the sciences.

Time is motion or change occurring. The two sides of the "is" in that previous sentence are ontologically identical. Motion/change aren't ontologically dependent on something else (you'd need to present a plausible account of ontological dependence to argue this--what are the criteria of ontological dependence and why are those the criteria). And re how motion is defined in physics, it's simply defined relative to other motions/changes. For example, the motion of A is defined as the change in position of A relative to the motion or change in a device like a clock, and relative to the positions of other objects.

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream