Where Did 'God' Come From?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Post Reply
User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 4493
Joined: August 23rd, 2016, 3:00 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine
Location: NYC Man

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Terrapin Station » May 1st, 2020, 6:30 am

evolution wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 7:58 pm
So why even think such an absurdity as you have here, let alone write it out aloud? What would make you assume and say something as so outrageous as this?
Didn't you see that I basically said the same thing as Sculptor above?

The idea of God is the absurdity. It's just inane nonsense.

User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 4493
Joined: August 23rd, 2016, 3:00 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine
Location: NYC Man

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Terrapin Station » May 1st, 2020, 6:34 am

evolution wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 11:46 pm

Every conception cannot preexist a conceiver. But obviously the very thing, which is being conceived can exist prior to a conceiver. Or, do you actually believe that this is not true?

'Universe' is a concept. Can 'it' not preexist you, a conceiver?

Your reading comprehension can't be that bad. Obviously he's saying that God is only a concept, it's only a(n inane) invention.

The universe isn't only a concept.

This isn't the first time in your life that you've encountered atheists, is it?

User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 2999
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Sculptor1 » May 1st, 2020, 4:24 pm

NukeBan wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:16 am
Sculptor1 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 5:34 am
What is the matter with you?
Ah, a good question. I'm suffering from the chronic delusion that such exchanges can ever accomplish anything. Been doing it for decades. Appears to be an incurable disease. A sense of humor seems to come in handy.
God is an invention.
Such a conclusion is typically based upon the almost always unexamined assumption that the rules of human reason are binding upon all of reality, and thus upon any gods that may or may not be contained within.
My statement is based on the empirical evidence of anthropology.
It's a complete no brainer.

evolution
Posts: 618
Joined: April 19th, 2020, 6:20 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by evolution » May 1st, 2020, 5:17 pm

Sculptor1 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 5:34 am
NukeBan wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 7:45 pm


You're just repeating your misunderstanding of the question you are so eager to debunk.

Here it is again, try reading it this time?

What is the matter with you?
God is an invention.
Yes we are well aware that the word 'God' is an invention and creation of a human being. But what does the word 'God' refer to exactly? Was that 'thing' existing before human beings came into existence?

Surely even you could see where you are just trying to distort what is simply just being pointed out to you, correct?

Others can clearly see what you are trying to do here, so surely it is possible for you to see this as well?

Maybe if you just at least just tried to answer the questions posed to you, then you might see and understand what is going on here?

evolution
Posts: 618
Joined: April 19th, 2020, 6:20 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by evolution » May 1st, 2020, 5:30 pm

Sculptor1 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 5:37 am
evolution wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 11:46 pm


Every conception cannot preexist a conceiver. But obviously the very thing, which is being conceived can exist prior to a conceiver. Or, do you actually believe that this is not true?

'Universe' is a concept. Can 'it' not preexist you, a conceiver?



You will have to define what 'it' is before I could agree or not.

For me to be able to agree or disagree with whether 'it' precedes the conception of 'it', then you will have to tell me first what 'it' is that you are conceiving of here.

'A big bang preceded the earth and the earth preceded human beings' is a concept, and some people hold that that occurrence preceded the conception of it. Some people hold the idea that earth preceded human beings, who conceived of that idea. Do you not agree with this?
Define god anyway you want. There are enough examples- just choose one.
For god to exist it would have to be capricious, multifarious, multiplicitous, evil, good, sadistic, kind, a turtle, a man, a woman, a crocodile, lightning... You name it.
Therefore, that is what 'God' is, to you.

Now, obviously some of these things preexisted human beings, which is contrary to what you were trying to argue for before. So, you will either have to start answering the questions posed to you, or you will just continue on as you are now, being self-contradictory.

evolution
Posts: 618
Joined: April 19th, 2020, 6:20 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by evolution » May 1st, 2020, 5:44 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:30 am
evolution wrote:
April 29th, 2020, 7:58 pm
So why even think such an absurdity as you have here, let alone write it out aloud? What would make you assume and say something as so outrageous as this?
Didn't you see that I basically said the same thing as Sculptor above?
No I did not see that you basically said the same thing as sculptor above. Was I meant to?

Do you feel somewhat left out because I replied to sculptor and did not reply to you?

And, if I did see that you basically said the same thing as sculptor above, then so what?

What does that mean?

If you and sculptor basically said the same thing about; let us say, for example, "the earth is flat", then again so what? What would this mean?
Terrapin Station wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:30 am
The idea of God is the absurdity. It's just inane nonsense.
But what is the 'idea' of God?

What is your 'idea of God'?

If your 'idea of God' is an absurdity, then why do you hold such an 'idea'?

It seems a rather ridiculous and absurd idea to hold an idea of some thing that is absurd, so why do you do it?

And, if your 'idea of God' is silly and makes no sense at all, then why even bring it up and talk about 'it'? Why do you want to even mention and discuss such things?

If you felt left out and want to start to have a discussion with me, then there is eleven questions asked, so you could start by answering them.

evolution
Posts: 618
Joined: April 19th, 2020, 6:20 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by evolution » May 1st, 2020, 5:57 pm

Terrapin Station wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:34 am
evolution wrote:
April 30th, 2020, 11:46 pm

Every conception cannot preexist a conceiver. But obviously the very thing, which is being conceived can exist prior to a conceiver. Or, do you actually believe that this is not true?

'Universe' is a concept. Can 'it' not preexist you, a conceiver?

Your reading comprehension can't be that bad.
Can't be as bad as what exactly?

Can you comprehend that the word God sometimes refers to some thing preexisting human beings? Or were you not yet aware of this fact?
Terrapin Station wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:30 am
Obviously he's saying that God is only a concept, it's only a(n inane) invention.
So, if 'God' is a concept only, to you two, then the answer to this topic question is; Human beings, from yours and sculptor's perspective. End of story.

We now know the answer you two give to the topic question, so there is no need for you two to say anymore. Or is there?

By the way what I am saying is also obvious, but you and sculptor do not yet seem to comprehend that.

Also, why do you two seem so interested in discussing an inane invention? Do you show as much interest in discussing all of the other human constructed inane inventions, or just this one?
Terrapin Station wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:30 am
The universe isn't only a concept.
Okay. If you say so.
Terrapin Station wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:30 am
This isn't the first time in your life that you've encountered atheists, is it?
No.

This isn't the first time in your life that you've encountered another perspective than yours, is it?

You're not under some sort of self-constructed illusion that your perspective of things is absolutely and irrefutably true and every thing opposing you is wrong, are you? Or, do you actually believe that this is the case?

User avatar
Mark_Lee
Posts: 24
Joined: November 8th, 2017, 9:42 pm

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Mark_Lee » May 1st, 2020, 6:41 pm

The mystery of God will never be comprehended by the human mind.

It's like the idea of the Noumenon and Phenomenon. The Phenomenon we always experience with our senses, the Noumenon will always be there even if we don't experience it. God is part of the Noumenon.

User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 2999
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Sculptor1 » May 1st, 2020, 7:51 pm

evolution wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 5:30 pm
Sculptor1 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 5:37 am


Define god anyway you want. There are enough examples- just choose one.
For god to exist it would have to be capricious, multifarious, multiplicitous, evil, good, sadistic, kind, a turtle, a man, a woman, a crocodile, lightning... You name it.
Therefore, that is what 'God' is, to you.
Take wild guess

User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 2999
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Sculptor1 » May 1st, 2020, 7:52 pm

Mark_Lee wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:41 pm
The mystery of God will never be comprehended by the human mind.
It's very simple indeed.
There is no mystery

User avatar
Mark_Lee
Posts: 24
Joined: November 8th, 2017, 9:42 pm

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Mark_Lee » May 1st, 2020, 7:57 pm

Sculptor1 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 7:52 pm
Mark_Lee wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:41 pm
The mystery of God will never be comprehended by the human mind.
It's very simple indeed.
There is no mystery
Because you think he doesn't exist?

What's your counterargument?

User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 2999
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Sculptor1 » May 1st, 2020, 8:05 pm

Mark_Lee wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 7:57 pm
Sculptor1 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 7:52 pm


It's very simple indeed.
There is no mystery
Because you think he doesn't exist?

What's your counterargument?
I've yet to see ANY argument. There is simply nothing to counter. Who the **** is "he"?

NukeBan
Posts: 98
Joined: April 20th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by NukeBan » May 1st, 2020, 8:15 pm

Sculptor1 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 4:24 pm
My statement is based on the empirical evidence of anthropology.
Your statement is based on an unwillingness to read to the question you are attempting to reject.

User avatar
Mark_Lee
Posts: 24
Joined: November 8th, 2017, 9:42 pm

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Mark_Lee » May 1st, 2020, 8:22 pm

Sculptor1 wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 8:05 pm
Mark_Lee wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 7:57 pm


Because you think he doesn't exist?

What's your counterargument?
I've yet to see ANY argument. There is simply nothing to counter. Who the **** is "he"?
Oh boy...

Forget the ontological argument. It's stupid.

So far, I think our best ones are the resurrection of Christ, the cosmological argument, and the teleological argument.

Now the teleological argument I don't like because it really makes you bend scripture into accepting theistic evolution. For the resurrection of Christ, there is so much good stuff out there that my inarticulate self will not do it justice. Just look them up. So we are left with my favorite, the cosmological argument. But really, I wanna tackle this in a manner that will amuse me the most for now. Check out this basic syllogism I concocted in a matter of 20 seconds...

Martin Luther King is generally smart for many reasons and believes God exists. People who are smart are generally right in their beliefs. Martin Luther King is generally right in his belief that God exists.

If you give me 4 minutes, I'll produce five more of those.

And if that fails, I'll pull out a documented miracle somewhere that can serve as empirical evidence. And to handicap myself, it wouldn't even be from the Bible.

evolution
Posts: 618
Joined: April 19th, 2020, 6:20 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by evolution » May 1st, 2020, 8:47 pm

Mark_Lee wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:41 pm
The mystery of God will never be comprehended by the human mind.
Is this an unambiguous and irrefutable fact, which will hold true forever more, or more just a case of what you think and/or believe is true?
Mark_Lee wrote:
May 1st, 2020, 6:41 pm
It's like the idea of the Noumenon and Phenomenon. The Phenomenon we always experience with our senses, the Noumenon will always be there even if we don't experience it. God is part of the Noumenon.
Why are you 'trying to' explain 'that' what you say will never be comprehended anyway?

This sounds somewhat like you are trying to convey that you have already comprehended what you say will never be comprehended?

Post Reply