Freedom of speech is objective morality

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: Freedom of speech is objective morality

Post by Terrapin Station »

Do you think it's not possible to discuss counterfactuals or something?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Marvin_Edwards wrote:And I addressed that issue by explaining the paradoxical nature of your requirement....
As far as I can gather, you've been arguing about this one little point since before here:
viewtopic.php?p=358302#p358302

That's two pages of posts. If you'd just said:

"Yes, fair enough, a fact can't both be and not be a true statement about objective reality. So, moving on...."

you could perhaps have spent those pages talking about something more interesting. But these long fruitless attempts to clarify one simple, trivial point of order happen here all the time. I've been involved in them myself sometimes. I think the reason why is possibly a topic in its own right.
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Steve3007 wrote: May 19th, 2020, 2:47 pm
Marvin_Edwards wrote:And I addressed that issue by explaining the paradoxical nature of your requirement....
As far as I can gather, you've been arguing about this one little point since before here:
viewtopic.php?p=358302#p358302

That's two pages of posts. If you'd just said:

"Yes, fair enough, a fact can't both be and not be a true statement about objective reality. So, moving on...."

you could perhaps have spent those pages talking about something more interesting. But these long fruitless attempts to clarify one simple, trivial point of order happen here all the time. I've been involved in them myself sometimes. I think the reason why is possibly a topic in its own right.
So, how is the weather where you are?
GregRogers
New Trial Member

Post by GregRogers »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 19th, 2020, 9:06 am
GregRogers wrote: May 18th, 2020, 7:57 pm Terrapin, your statement that "'good' is an individual assessment' is an assertion; do you have any argument for this? Quite to the contrary; there is a high degree of consensus that vomiting one's guts out or involuntary convulsions, etc, are not 'good'.
It isn't the blackest (or whitest) cases that illustrate the point, it's the ones in the grey area. And, in this case, the grey area is huge, reflecting the non-objective nature of the issue under discussion. There is no real consensus here.
Really? There is no consensus that the world is round? Agreed, there are "flat earthers" but I don't think that is evidence of a lack of consensus. Regarding your "grey area" comment; I disagree when addressing certain topics. If we agree that the shape of the earth is not flat as a matter of objective truth, then we can build upon that agreement.
Terrapin Station

GregRogers wrote: May 18th, 2020, 7:57 pm Terrapin,

Your statement that "'good' is an individual assessment' is an assertion; do you have any argument for this? Quite to the contrary; there is a high degree of consensus that vomiting one's guts out or involuntary convulsions, etc, are not 'good'.

I believe 'good' in matters of truth is an objective reality independent of individual subjective assessment.
I never noticed this post until you requoted it. I often miss posts if I'm not "tagged."

So, I'm skeptical first off that you're dubious that individuals make assessments about what's good. Maybe you are, but that's easily remedied. I'm an individual. I see someone do something--like say that I see someone offer a homeless person food and a place to stay for a few days. I feel, and thus say, "That's a morally good thing to do." So I'm an individual who has made an assessment about whether particular behavior is a good. Maybe you'll have some objection about the claim that I'm an individual who made that assessment in that case, but you'll have to present the specific objection to this part.

Now, by no means am I saying that a thousand people (or a million or billion or whatever) can't contemplate the same scenario where 95% (or however many) of them say the same thing--that it was a morally good thing to do. So then we have a consensus, obviously. However, that consensus is just a bunch of individuals--hundreds or hundreds of thousands of however many--thinking about the scenario and uttering their assessment regarding whether it's good or not. The fact that there's a consensus doesn't make the consensus right or correct or true or anything like that, by the way. To claim that it does is to commit the argumentum ad populum fallacy.

Beyond this, there is zero evidence that whatever-you-want-to-call-'ems such as "This is (morally) good" occur anywhere except in the minds of individuals making such judgments as described above.

So this is the argument for my view.

What is your argument for a contrary view?
Terrapin Station

Frustrating that I don't proofread better here . . . There are a couple small typos above, but hopefully it's pretty obvious what the changes would be.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

GregRogers wrote: May 19th, 2020, 7:42 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 19th, 2020, 9:06 am It isn't the blackest (or whitest) cases that illustrate the point, it's the ones in the grey area. And, in this case, the grey area is huge, reflecting the non-objective nature of the issue under discussion. There is no real consensus here.
Really? There is no consensus that the world is round?
I commented on there being no real consensus as regards moral issues. Please don't move the goalposts. Thanks.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
GregRogers
New Trial Member

Post by GregRogers »

Really? So back in the day when most of the people thought the earth was flat (because that is what the poll would say most people thought), the earth was flat? Then, when people's opinions change, the earth became a sphere.

Or, is it possible, that the majority polled could be wrong sometimes (i.e. truth is not a democratic exercise)?

Interesting philosophy, indeed!
Terrapin Station

GregRogers wrote: May 20th, 2020, 8:00 pm Really? So back in the day when most of the people thought the earth was flat (because that is what the poll would say most people thought), the earth was flat? Then, when people's opinions change, the earth became a sphere.

Or, is it possible, that the majority polled could be wrong sometimes (i.e. truth is not a democratic exercise)?

What are you talking about here?

He pointed out that whether the Earth is flat isn't a moral issue. How is your response a response to what he said?
GregRogers
New Trial Member

Post by GregRogers »

So what do you consider "moral issues"? You don't believe the question, "should you take arsenic to alleviate the common cold"? is a moral question? If you say "yes", I think your eudaimonia will be limited.
Terrapin Station

GregRogers wrote: May 21st, 2020, 7:23 pm So what do you consider "moral issues"? You don't believe the question, "should you take arsenic to alleviate the common cold"? is a moral question? If you say "yes", I think your eudaimonia will be limited.
Morality is focused on normatives about interpersonal behavior that's more significant than etiquette.

So no re the arsenic question.
GregRogers
New Trial Member

Post by GregRogers »

Actually, according to Aristotle, morality is focused on well-being. Well-being would include interpersonal behavior but not be limited to it. I align with Aristotle... morality is more than just learning how to get along; albeit that is an important part of it.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Freedom of speech is objective morality

GregRogers wrote: May 18th, 2020, 7:57 pm [To Terrapin Station] Your statement that "'good' is an individual assessment' is an assertion; do you have any argument for this? Quite to the contrary; there is a high degree of consensus that vomiting one's guts out or involuntary convulsions, etc, are not 'good'. I believe 'good' in matters of truth is an objective reality independent of individual subjective assessment.
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 19th, 2020, 9:06 am It isn't the blackest (or whitest) cases that illustrate the point, it's the ones in the grey area. And, in this case, the grey area is huge, reflecting the non-objective nature of the issue under discussion. There is no real consensus here.
GregRogers wrote: May 19th, 2020, 7:42 pm Really? There is no consensus that the world is round? Agreed, there are "flat earthers" but I don't think that is evidence of a lack of consensus. Regarding your "grey area" comment; I disagree when addressing certain topics. If we agree that the shape of the earth is not flat as a matter of objective truth, then we can build upon that agreement.
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 20th, 2020, 7:50 am I commented on there being no real consensus as regards moral issues. Please don't move the goalposts. Thanks.
GregRogers wrote: May 20th, 2020, 8:00 pm Really? So back in the day when most of the people thought the earth was flat (because that is what the poll would say most people thought), the earth was flat? Then, when people's opinions change, the earth became a sphere.

You have misunderstood. My position is that morality (right and wrong, and the difference between the two) is not objective. Your vomiting example, a black (or white) example, is generally agreed to be not-good, but my response only indicates that the grey area, away from simple and obvious black and white examples, is large, and that no consensus exists specifically in the area of moral judgments.

But neither truth nor objectivity can be created by consensus. This is not disputed between us.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Terrapin Station

GregRogers wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 1:25 pm Actually, according to Aristotle, morality is focused on well-being. Well-being would include interpersonal behavior but not be limited to it. I align with Aristotle... morality is more than just learning how to get along; albeit that is an important part of it.
Are you expecting me to defer to Aristotle's view for some reason?
GregRogers
New Trial Member

Post by GregRogers »

I think it is always helpful to state one's primary assumptions, which usually reduce to certain basic assertions (i.e. when you use the term "moral", what exactly do you mean?). For example, if you are in the realm of "Christian Ethics" then moral means that which is consistent with the will of God; usually as expressed in the Bible.

I am a consequentialist in a general sense (i.e. consequences which impact well-being IS morality by definition); I am not right because I agree with Aristotle... Aristotle was right because he agrees with me :-)

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream