Where Did 'God' Come From?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Post Reply
evolution
Posts: 442
Joined: April 19th, 2020, 6:20 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by evolution » May 18th, 2020, 12:09 am

Jing or Jang wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 1:52 pm
Sculptor1 wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 4:58 pm
God was invented.
Obviously.
Yes.
evolution wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 10:27 pm
But what is 'God', which was obviously invented.

Obviously the word 'God' was invented, but was what the word God referred to invented also? Or, does that exist and always has?
Not only the word God but the concept as well was invented.
OF COURSE the concept was invented as well, by human beings. This is JUST AS OBVIOUS as the fact that the word God was invented, by human beings.

But, as can be clearly SEEN, my question is asking 'was what thee concept itself IS OF' invented also.

Surely this could not be mistaken and misinterpreted by two of 'you'?

'Concepts', themselves, are a result of human thinking. So, OBVIOUSLY, in a general sense, ALL concepts are, so called, "invented" by human beings.

But whether what the concept, itself, in question refers to here, existed before human beings is what I am asking for.

Surely it is just PLAIN OBVIOUS that the word 'earth' AND the concept of what 'earth' is were invented and/or came about after human beings. And, what is just as OBVIOUS, well to me anyway, is the fact that what the concept of 'earth' refers to, actually existed prior to human beings. Now, do you agree or disagree with this?

If you agree, then does what the concept of the word 'God' REFERS TO exist before or after human beings evolved into creation?
Jing or Jang wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 1:52 pm
"Fate" "Luck" "Karma" "Faith" they were all invented because man wants to believe in a purpose and we don't want to wait to find out what it is.
So what?

And, who cares?

NONE OF THEM have absolutely anything to do with what I am pointing out, through clarifying questions.
Jing or Jang wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 1:52 pm
Jews became Christians because they lacked patience for the arrival of "the Messiah", Catholics and Orthodox Christians became protestants because they couldn't take the responsibility of piety.
Besides the fact that all these so called "things" are just human beings with a particular set of thoughts, what has any of this got to do with what I have actually said and asked here?
Jing or Jang wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 1:52 pm
Each and every one is a diluted result of the previous one but each is even more superstitious as time goes on because science consistently disproves religious fairy tales so new and more outrageous explanations are needed to divert the fear of death.
Okay, now that you have expressed your very strongly held onto beliefs here, and have made them very clear, what it is now that you want me to do with them? What has any of this got to do with the actual very simple clarifying question that I asked?

What does the word 'God' mean to you?

And, did that 'thing' exist prior to human beings?

User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 2194
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Sculptor1 » May 18th, 2020, 6:03 am

Jing or Jang wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 1:52 pm
Sculptor1 wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 4:58 pm
God was invented.
Obviously.
Yes.
evolution wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 10:27 pm
But what is 'God', which was obviously invented.

Obviously the word 'God' was invented, but was what the word God referred to invented also? Or, does that exist and always has?
Not only the word God but the concept as well was invented. "Fate" "Luck" "Karma" "Faith" they were all invented because man wants to believe in a purpose and we don't want to wait to find out what it is. Jews became Christians because they lacked patience for the arrival of "the Messiah", Catholics and Orthodox Christians became protestants because they couldn't take the responsibility of piety. Each and every one is a diluted result of the previous one but each is even more superstitious as time goes on because science consistently disproves religious fairy tales so new and more outrageous explanations are needed to divert the fear of death.
I disagree with your view of Protestantism.
Protestants brought a new sort of zealousness to Xity. Far from trying to avoid piety Luther instigates his 95 theses to reinvigorate the religion and free it from corruption.
At the time the RCC was handing out licenses to sin in exchange for money; and the Vatican had a fully functioning brothel. Their flocks were kept in the dark due to the sermons being given in a dead language few of them could understand, and vernacular translations of the testaments were banned across Europe. Trying to publish one was a burning issue.

User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 2194
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Sculptor1 » May 18th, 2020, 6:06 am

evolution wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 11:45 pm
Sculptor1 wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 1:41 pm


Not until you tell me what claims I am supposed to have made
Were you or were you not making a claim when you wrote: "Once again. "I ALREADY TOLD YOU"."?

Is that a claim you made?
Not much of a claim is it. It was just a reminder.
What was it I told you?
Try to think now. I know you can do it, though you seem to have the memory of a fish. You could always review the thread.
Remember to keep notes lest you forget again!!

evolution
Posts: 442
Joined: April 19th, 2020, 6:20 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by evolution » May 18th, 2020, 7:12 am

Sculptor1 wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 6:06 am
evolution wrote:
May 17th, 2020, 11:45 pm


Were you or were you not making a claim when you wrote: "Once again. "I ALREADY TOLD YOU"."?

Is that a claim you made?
Not much of a claim is it. It was just a reminder.
What was it I told you?
Try to think now. I know you can do it, though you seem to have the memory of a fish. You could always review the thread.
Remember to keep notes lest you forget again!!
Did you forget that I NEVER asked you to tell me anything?

So, now that I have pointed out your claim, which you just admitted you made, and pointed out the fact that I never asked you to tell me anything, then is all this now settled?

User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 2194
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Sculptor1 » May 18th, 2020, 8:18 am

evolution wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 7:12 am
Sculptor1 wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 6:06 am

Not much of a claim is it. It was just a reminder.
What was it I told you?
Try to think now. I know you can do it, though you seem to have the memory of a fish. You could always review the thread.
Remember to keep notes lest you forget again!!
Did you forget that I NEVER asked you to tell me anything?

So, now that I have pointed out your claim, which you just admitted you made, and pointed out the fact that I never asked you to tell me anything, then is all this now settled?
No, I have made no claims in this thread. You just can't hold a thread in you mind.

User avatar
Jing or Jang
Posts: 41
Joined: May 16th, 2020, 7:08 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Jing or Jang » May 18th, 2020, 8:36 am

Sculptor1 wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 6:03 am
I disagree with your view of Protestantism.
Protestants brought a new sort of zealousness to Xity. Far from trying to avoid piety Luther instigates his 95 theses to reinvigorate the religion and free it from corruption.
At the time the RCC was handing out licenses to sin in exchange for money; and the Vatican had a fully functioning brothel. Their flocks were kept in the dark due to the sermons being given in a dead language few of them could understand, and vernacular translations of the testaments were banned across Europe. Trying to publish one was a burning issue.
It isn't my intention to debate the attributes of Protestantism point by point but only to mention that they were dissatisfied and so broke away to enjoy whatever pleasures they were denied by Catholic/Orthodox indoctrination and yet continue professing their devotion to Christ.

evolution
Posts: 442
Joined: April 19th, 2020, 6:20 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by evolution » May 18th, 2020, 6:18 pm

Sculptor1 wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 8:18 am
evolution wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 7:12 am


Did you forget that I NEVER asked you to tell me anything?

So, now that I have pointed out your claim, which you just admitted you made, and pointed out the fact that I never asked you to tell me anything, then is all this now settled?
No, I have made no claims in this thread. You just can't hold a thread in you mind.
You now claim, in this thread, that you have made no claims in this thread. Okay, then it is all settled now, correct?

User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 2194
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Sculptor1 » May 19th, 2020, 6:06 pm

Jing or Jang wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 8:36 am
Sculptor1 wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 6:03 am
I disagree with your view of Protestantism.
Protestants brought a new sort of zealousness to Xity. Far from trying to avoid piety Luther instigates his 95 theses to reinvigorate the religion and free it from corruption.
At the time the RCC was handing out licenses to sin in exchange for money; and the Vatican had a fully functioning brothel. Their flocks were kept in the dark due to the sermons being given in a dead language few of them could understand, and vernacular translations of the testaments were banned across Europe. Trying to publish one was a burning issue.
It isn't my intention to debate the attributes of Protestantism point by point but only to mention that they were dissatisfied and so broke away to enjoy whatever pleasures they were denied by Catholic/Orthodox indoctrination and yet continue professing their devotion to Christ.
No.
You are simply wrong.
You could buy as many pleasures as you like, as long as you paid the priest.
They broke away to be MORE pious, not less.

User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 2194
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Sculptor1 » May 19th, 2020, 6:07 pm

evolution wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 6:18 pm
Sculptor1 wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 8:18 am

No, I have made no claims in this thread. You just can't hold a thread in you mind.
You now claim, in this thread, that you have made no claims in this thread. Okay, then it is all settled now, correct?
If that makes you happy.

User avatar
Jing or Jang
Posts: 41
Joined: May 16th, 2020, 7:08 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Jing or Jang » May 20th, 2020, 12:25 am

Sculptor1 wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 6:06 pm
Jing or Jang wrote:
May 18th, 2020, 8:36 am

It isn't my intention to debate the attributes of Protestantism point by point but only to mention that they were dissatisfied and so broke away to enjoy whatever pleasures they were denied by Catholic/Orthodox indoctrination and yet continue professing their devotion to Christ.
No.
You are simply wrong.
You could buy as many pleasures as you like, as long as you paid the priest.
They broke away to be MORE pious, not less.
They simply renounced the arduous demands of the Catholic/Orthodox Church but pretend to adhere to the fundamental superstition of the Bible, by reform.

User avatar
Terrapin Station
Posts: 3495
Joined: August 23rd, 2016, 3:00 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine
Location: NYC Man

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Terrapin Station » May 20th, 2020, 9:01 am

Jing or Jang wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 12:25 am
Sculptor1 wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 6:06 pm

No.
You are simply wrong.
You could buy as many pleasures as you like, as long as you paid the priest.
They broke away to be MORE pious, not less.
They simply renounced the arduous demands of the Catholic/Orthodox Church but pretend to adhere to the fundamental superstition of the Bible, by reform.
Apologies if you mentioned this earlier, but what are the "arduous demands of the Catholic/Orthodox Church"?

User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 2194
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Sculptor1 » May 20th, 2020, 9:06 am

Jing or Jang wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 12:25 am
Sculptor1 wrote:
May 19th, 2020, 6:06 pm

No.
You are simply wrong.
You could buy as many pleasures as you like, as long as you paid the priest.
They broke away to be MORE pious, not less.
They simply renounced the arduous demands of the Catholic/Orthodox Church but pretend to adhere to the fundamental superstition of the Bible, by reform.
The Protestant movement is a direct result of actually reading the bible, and applying the inductive method to understand it, rather than imposing a Catholic view upon it.
https://www.luther.de/en/95thesen.html

User avatar
Jing or Jang
Posts: 41
Joined: May 16th, 2020, 7:08 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Jing or Jang » May 20th, 2020, 9:31 am

Terrapin Station wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 9:01 am
Jing or Jang wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 12:25 am

They simply renounced the arduous demands of the Catholic/Orthodox Church but pretend to adhere to the fundamental superstition of the Bible, by reform.
Apologies if you mentioned this earlier, but what are the "arduous demands of the Catholic/Orthodox Church"?
You're not a Catholic? If you buy the drinks for the rest of the night I'll tell you all about it. Here's a teaser: Guilt.

User avatar
Jing or Jang
Posts: 41
Joined: May 16th, 2020, 7:08 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Jing or Jang » May 20th, 2020, 9:37 am

Sculptor1 wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 9:06 am
Jing or Jang wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 12:25 am

They simply renounced the arduous demands of the Catholic/Orthodox Church but pretend to adhere to the fundamental superstition of the Bible, by reform.
The Protestant movement is a direct result of actually reading the bible, and applying the inductive method to understand it, rather than imposing a Catholic view upon it.
******************************
I am under the impression that they more or less re-wrote it to suit them.

User avatar
Sculptor1
Posts: 2194
Joined: May 16th, 2019, 5:35 am

Re: Where Did 'God' Come From?

Post by Sculptor1 » May 21st, 2020, 6:12 am

Jing or Jang wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 9:37 am
Sculptor1 wrote:
May 20th, 2020, 9:06 am


The Protestant movement is a direct result of actually reading the bible, and applying the inductive method to understand it, rather than imposing a Catholic view upon it.
******************************
I am under the impression that they more or less re-wrote it to suit them.
Who is "they"?
Who is "them"?
Are you Catholic?

Post Reply