So-called evidence of a parallel universe

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

So-called evidence of a parallel universe

Post by Terrapin Station »

. . . and one where "time runs backwards" no less. :roll:

Now this is the sort of conclusion (and subsequently the sort of article) that bugs the crap out of me:

https://nypost.com/2020/05/19/nasa-find ... rd-report/

What they actually detected, but didn't expect to detect, was evidence (just what evidence I don't know--it would have to be some sort of computer readout) of tau neutrinos. And that's it.

There was a conclusion that the tau neutrinos would have had to be coming "up" from the Earth rather than "down from space," which is well enough, although I'd like to know how we supposedly know this (how we supposedly know the directionality). But okay, we'd know that the Earth can produce or it can at least pass tau neutrinos.

And then there was a conclusion that the tau neutrinos, on the assumption that they're passing through the Earth rather than assuming that the Earth produced them, would have had to "change into some other type of particle before changing back again." Why? I have no idea. How would we know this?

And then there's the incoherent nonsense that somehow this implies "time running backwards" and implies a "parallel universe."

Sigh.

How about simply explaining that we detected data that we're interpreting as tau neutrinos when we didn't expect to find such data, and then explaining why we wouldn't expect to find evidence of tau neutrinos?
Faustus5

Re: So-called evidence of a parallel universe

Post by Faustus5 »

Science journalism typically sucks, and this is a perfect example. It popped on on my Twitter feed and I didn't even bother with it. Thanks for confirming what I already suspected!
evolution

Post by evolution »

This 'interpreting' is where most of the fault and flaws lie in most scientific data and findings. What the data shows cannot be disputed, but what people interpret and say the data shows can be so WRONG that it is laughable sometimes.

For example;
There is red shift. Therefore, "this means the Universe is expanding". And, if It is expanding, then it "must of been smaller", and therefore "it must of began", and "popped into existence from nothing".

There is different readings on clocks. Therefore, "this means time dilates".

The 'interpretations', themselves, and thus the therefore consequent so called "conclusion" is NOT as right and correct as most people believe they are. And, if the first conclusion/interpretation is WRONG to begin with, then all the following conclusions/interpretations can be just as WRONG also. Confirmation biases adds on to this tremendously.

When ALL of these 'interpretations' are looked at Honestly and OPENLY, then those that are WRONG can be clearly SEEN, and why they are so WRONG becomes clear also, especially when looked back to the original WRONG one, which caused all the other wrong ones to follow on from.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Terrapin Station wrote:How about simply explaining that we detected data that we're interpreting as tau neutrinos when we didn't expect to find such data, and then explaining why we wouldn't expect to find evidence of tau neutrinos?
Because that would result in fewer people reading the article and therefore lower ad revenues.

From the article:

"but now a cosmic ray detection experiment has found particles that could be from a parallel realm that also was born in the Big Bang, the Daily Star reported."

It cited the Daily Star as a source! The Daily Star is a British tabloid newspaper. It's the kind of tabloid that makes other tabloids (like The Sun) seem balanced, sensible and un-sensationalist. I think the New York Post pitches itself on about the same level as The Sun (both Murdoch papers. Don't get Greta started about that!).

So the first thing I'd want to do is look beyond publications whose main motivation is to create an eye-catching, click-bait headline (in Britain these headlines often have "boffin" in them, as in "Boffins PROVE that the moon is REALLY made of cheese!!!!") and examine what has actually been discovered, what has been said by the discoverers, the sense in which they meant it and, crucially, the expressions on their faces when they said it.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Terrapin Station wrote:There was a conclusion that the tau neutrinos would have had to be coming "up" from the Earth rather than "down from space," which is well enough, although I'd like to know how we supposedly know this (how we supposedly know the directionality). But okay, we'd know that the Earth can produce or it can at least pass tau neutrinos.

And then there was a conclusion that the tau neutrinos, on the assumption that they're passing through the Earth rather than assuming that the Earth produced them, would have had to "change into some other type of particle before changing back again." Why? I have no idea. How would we know this?
You could almost certainly fairly easily find a bit more about why they claim these things (and therefore be better placed to decide whether you agree with their reasoning) by researching a bit further than a story in the New York Post and Daily Star.

Obviously the best thing to do would be to get the story straight from the horse's mouth and look at the Cornell University paper published on the subject by principal ANITA investigator Peter Gorham. But I bet I'd have to pay for that.

The New York Post and Daily Star articles cite an article in New Scientist:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... s-in-time/

That seems like a good start to me. Still the sensational "backwards in time" headline, but maybe more substance to the article? But it's behind a paywall. I guess that means it doesn't have quite the same commercial pressure to create sensational ad-revenue-increasing stories, but it also means that far fewer people are going to read it. One of the classic dilemmas of the "free press" eh?

So I googled "ANITA" (the acronym of the experiment). The first hit there, at first sight, looked like another Daily Star article. But it was actually a company selling lingerie. Wrong Anita.

So I googled "ANITA parallel universe" and hit this:

https://www.sciencealert.com/of-course- ... antarctica

At first glance, that seems to pour a welcome bucket of cold water on all the excitement. I'll have a read.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

(Actually, I'll read it later. First I'll just double-check that lingerie website to make absolutely sure it doesn't mention parallel universes and things going backwards in time and stuff.)
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

I've read the article that came up when I googled "ANITA parallel universe" now.

Here's an extract:
As Gorham, who is the principal investigator of ANITA, told ScienceAlert, "we have encountered a small number of anomalies in our data, and once we have exhausted all of the possible explanations within the Standard Model of physics, only then is it time to consider other ideas that push those boundaries - we are really not there yet, certainly not at the point where parallel universes are necessary!"
Another:
"In this case, one or more journalists have evidently moved ahead with an article which was not verified, and for reasons which are not clear, have ascribed research and papers to us which we never wrote, and theories, such as those involving parallel universes, which neither we nor our collaborators hypothesized about or discussed in any publication before these results were attributed to our experiment," says Gorham.

"This is one of the reasons that scientific advances proceed by a more measured process, through peer review and verification by other investigators."
He says "for reasons which are not clear". I think they're pretty clear.

If I was the editor of a publication which is reliant on ad revenue to survive, I wouldn't run with the headline:

"We have encountered a small number of anomalies..."

I'd run with:

"Boffins PROVE that parallel universes make time run BACKWARDS! And sex!"

And I might add a picture of one of those clocks whose hands go anti-clockwise falling into an artist's representation of a black hole.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Steve3007 wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 4:47 am I've read the article that came up when I googled "ANITA parallel universe" now.

Here's an extract:
As Gorham, who is the principal investigator of ANITA, told ScienceAlert, "we have encountered a small number of anomalies in our data, and once we have exhausted all of the possible explanations within the Standard Model of physics, only then is it time to consider other ideas that push those boundaries - we are really not there yet, certainly not at the point where parallel universes are necessary!"
Another:
"In this case, one or more journalists have evidently moved ahead with an article which was not verified, and for reasons which are not clear, have ascribed research and papers to us which we never wrote, and theories, such as those involving parallel universes, which neither we nor our collaborators hypothesized about or discussed in any publication before these results were attributed to our experiment," says Gorham.

"This is one of the reasons that scientific advances proceed by a more measured process, through peer review and verification by other investigators."
He says "for reasons which are not clear". I think they're pretty clear.

If I was the editor of a publication which is reliant on ad revenue to survive, I wouldn't run with the headline:

"We have encountered a small number of anomalies..."

I'd run with:

"Boffins PROVE that parallel universes make time run BACKWARDS! And sex!"

And I might add a picture of one of those clocks whose hands go anti-clockwise falling into an artist's representation of a black hole.
Don't forget to portray Anita as a half-naked woman. :)
True philosophy points to the Moon
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Steve3007 wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 3:11 am I think the New York Post pitches itself on about the same level as The Sun (both Murdoch papers. Don't get Greta started about that!).
If Greta isn't allowed to rant, perhaps I could rant in her place? 😋 Murdoch and his billionaire cronies are the source of most Bad Things in the world. Time to sharpen the blades on our guillotines, don't you think? 😋
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Steve3007 wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 3:11 am
Terrapin Station wrote:How about simply explaining that we detected data that we're interpreting as tau neutrinos when we didn't expect to find such data, and then explaining why we wouldn't expect to find evidence of tau neutrinos?
Because that would result in fewer people reading the article and therefore lower ad revenues.

From the article:

"but now a cosmic ray detection experiment has found particles that could be from a parallel realm that also was born in the Big Bang, the Daily Star reported."

It cited the Daily Star as a source! The Daily Star is a British tabloid newspaper. It's the kind of tabloid that makes other tabloids (like The Sun) seem balanced, sensible and un-sensationalist. I think the New York Post pitches itself on about the same level as The Sun (both Murdoch papers. Don't get Greta started about that!).

So the first thing I'd want to do is look beyond publications whose main motivation is to create an eye-catching, click-bait headline (in Britain these headlines often have "boffin" in them, as in "Boffins PROVE that the moon is REALLY made of cheese!!!!") and examine what has actually been discovered, what has been said by the discoverers, the sense in which they meant it and, crucially, the expressions on their faces when they said it.
I'm not familiar with the Daily Star, but yeah, definition the NY Post can be sensationalist.

Good reference with the sciencealert.com article in your later post.

I'd be curious, if we know that the tau neutrinos are coming from the Earth rather than from the sky, why couldn't it be that the Earth is producing them, and for some reason, some percentage of them pass through so that they can be detected?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 7:40 am
Steve3007 wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 3:11 am I think the New York Post pitches itself on about the same level as The Sun (both Murdoch papers. Don't get Greta started about that!).
If @Greta isn't allowed to rant, perhaps I could rant in her place? 😋 Murdoch and his billionaire cronies are the source of most Bad Things in the world. Time to sharpen the blades on our guillotines, don't you think? 😋
Certainly his lies have been right on a par with those routinely peddled by the likes of Xi, Trump and Putin. It's bemusing to see the very worst of people rise to the highest positions.
evolution

Post by evolution »

Greta wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 5:07 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 7:40 am

If @Greta isn't allowed to rant, perhaps I could rant in her place? 😋 Murdoch and his billionaire cronies are the source of most Bad Things in the world. Time to sharpen the blades on our guillotines, don't you think? 😋
Certainly his lies have been right on a par with those routinely peddled by the likes of Xi, Trump and Putin. It's bemusing to see the very worst of people rise to the highest positions.
The so called "very worst" only rise to those highest positions because it is 'you' people who lift them up to those positions, and place them there.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

evolution wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 7:11 pm The so called "very worst" only rise to those highest positions because it is 'you' people who lift them up to those positions, and place them there.
When you say "you", you mean "us", right? We, the people, and all that. 🙂
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Papus79

Post by Papus79 »

This reminds me of why I have the impulse, when I want to know the news, to go to a place like Axios that gives it unpolished and unsweetened, in fact almost bland enough to repel people.

Is anyone doing something similar to that with science updates?
Humbly watching Youtube in Universe 25. - Me
evolution

Post by evolution »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 24th, 2020, 7:13 am
evolution wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 7:11 pm The so called "very worst" only rise to those highest positions because it is 'you' people who lift them up to those positions, and place them there.
When you say "you", you mean "us", right? We, the people, and all that. 🙂
At the subjective level I meant those of 'you' who put these people in those highest positions, like by voting them or by just giving them their power. I do neither of these, so I am not one of 'you'.

At the objective level I meant 'you', human beings, give power to some and not to others. The only way one human being can have power over another is by given that one that power. 'you', human beings, do this. I do not do this.

If you want to look at and discuss how only some people rise to those so called "highest" positions first, and come to an agreement on that, then we could successfully move onto the point that you are trying to make about 'you' and 'us', and see if we do come to an agreement on that?

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream