Where Do Rights Come From?

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Marvin_Edwards
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Re: Where Do Rights Come From?

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

gad-fly wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 11:31 pm
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 8:21 pm
But isn't being fair and maintaining orderly peace a benefit and reduction of harm?
Not appropriate. Benefit and harm is utilitarian. Plus or minus. Right is about balance. Give and take. Being fair to self and all. Benefit and harm is out of the picture.
From Pragmatism I naturally tend to look at the utility of things. What things "mean" in terms of what they "do", the consequences. The question I ask myself (and others) is what is the "point" of something. Or, "what is it good for?". So, benefit and harm for me are always in the picture. To me that's the key to understanding morality. Morality seeks the best good and least harm for everyone.

On the other hand, ironically, I really hate Utilitarianism. To me, the Utilitarians chose the WRONG utility! They chose pleasure and pain as the utility of their morality. Achieving the best pleasure and the least pain are NOT reliable guides to what is right and wrong, or what is good and bad. There are too many things that "feel" good but which are objectively bad for us, like heroin or gluttony or all the other bad habits we can get into. And there are some very important things that are very painful, like childbirth, or getting our childhood vaccinations, that are clearly good for us.

So, morality should be about what is actually good or bad for us, rather than what merely feels good or feels bad to us. And feelings are malleable. So the correct order of things is to first discover what is good for us, and second to choose to feel good about it.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 21st, 2020, 10:33 pm When Jefferson speaks of men being “endowed by their Creator” with certain rights, he is speaking rhetorically.
Is he? Could it not be that he is making the sort of literal statement that a religious person would make? I think he is saying that humans have rights, and that those rights were given to them by God. Don't you agree?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

GregRogers wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 6:58 pm I don't understand what the relevance "majority opinion" is as to whether gay marriage is acceptable. So, if the majority believes in slavery... is slavery ethical?
In practice, I think we must conclude that it is. There are no objective laws of morality. And there is no morality in the natural world, outside of human society. The morals and laws and rights that we observe are made only by us humans, and they're made (more or less) according to consensus (general agreement). So if the majority assert that slavery is ethical ... then they are.

Of course, to those of us who consider slavery to be (morally) wrong, this will seem ridiculous. But what alternative is there? Our moral views don't come from God, or from Nature or the universe, they come from us. We invent them. Only we are aware of them, and only we abide by them. So the moral consensus of any society defines what is right and wrong. How else could it be?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Ecurb wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 9:37 pm One thing is certain: the "right to life" cannot be "unalienable" in nations that allow capital punishment; the right to liberty cannot be unalienable in nations that imprison criminals. The case for the "pursuit of happiness" is, perhaps, less clear.
👍🙂🙂🙂

Moral matters are rarely consistent or logical. They reflect human values, after all. 😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 6:38 am From Pragmatism I naturally tend to look at the utility of things.

[...]

On the other hand, ironically, I really hate Utilitarianism.
Do you really find it worthwhile to frame your philosophy in terms of schools of philosophy? I find it difficult. I don't like having to accept the baggage that can accompany a good idea, if I have to accept all of the ideas of the school of philosophy from which the idea emerges. I appreciate the freedom of being able to adopt just one of (say) your ideas, and to reject the rest. Don't we all think and work that way? So is the whole idea of schools of philosophy counter-productive, in the sense that I have described here? 🤔
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 7:13 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 21st, 2020, 10:33 pm When Jefferson speaks of men being “endowed by their Creator” with certain rights, he is speaking rhetorically.
Is he? Could it not be that he is making the sort of literal statement that a religious person would make? I think he is saying that humans have rights, and that those rights were given to them by God. Don't you agree?
There was a drive-by shooting outside. A stray bullet went through the window and killed a baby in her crib. The child's right to life was alienated from her, and the Creator did not step in to prevent it.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 7:34 am
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 6:38 am From Pragmatism I naturally tend to look at the utility of things.

[...]

On the other hand, ironically, I really hate Utilitarianism.
Do you really find it worthwhile to frame your philosophy in terms of schools of philosophy? I find it difficult. I don't like having to accept the baggage that can accompany a good idea, if I have to accept all of the ideas of the school of philosophy from which the idea emerges. I appreciate the freedom of being able to adopt just one of (say) your ideas, and to reject the rest. Don't we all think and work that way? So is the whole idea of schools of philosophy counter-productive, in the sense that I have described here? 🤔
Interesting question, but not one I wish to explore in this conversation.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 7:13 am Is he? Could it not be that he is making the sort of literal statement that a religious person would make? I think he is saying that humans have rights, and that those rights were given to them by God. Don't you agree?
Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 11:25 am There was a drive-by shooting outside. A stray bullet went through the window and killed a baby in her crib. The child's right to life was alienated from her, and the Creator did not step in to prevent it.
I'm not arguing for or against God. I'm simply wondering what Jefferson meant when he wrote what he wrote. You stated he's "speaking rhetorically", and I think he may be speaking (as a believer) quite literally. What do you think?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 11:27 am Interesting question, but not one I wish to explore in this conversation.
Fair enough. So let's continue this conversation without diverting into schools of philosophy, as you did (and which I commented on). What do you say?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Marvin_Edwards wrote: May 22nd, 2020, 7:49 pm Well, our brains work with both reason and emotion. And sometimes one brain comes up with a different set of rights than another.
Yes, that happens often.
Pantagruel
Favorite Philosopher: George Herbert Mead

Post by Pantagruel »

I believe Mill says that obligations of perfect create duties which give rise to corresponding rights in assignable persons. That has always worked for me.
Pantagruel

Post by Pantagruel »

Sorry. I should have read more carefully. I forgot about the no-edit thing.

I believe Mill says that obligations of perfect justice create duties which give rise to corresponding rights in assignable persons. That has always worked for me.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Pantagruel wrote: May 23rd, 2020, 7:34 pm Sorry. I should have read more carefully. I forgot about the no-edit thing.

I believe Mill says that obligations of perfect justice create duties which give rise to corresponding rights in assignable persons. That has always worked for me.
Can you describe or give an example of how that works?
Pantagruel

Post by Pantagruel »

Well, I found a summary online better than anything I could come up with in short order:

http://web.mnstate.edu/gracyk/courses/p ... rights.htm

I thought it a little long to post.
Marvin_Edwards

Post by Marvin_Edwards »

Pantagruel wrote: May 24th, 2020, 6:03 am Well, I found a summary online better than anything I could come up with in short order:

http://web.mnstate.edu/gracyk/courses/p ... rights.htm

I thought it a little long to post.
It sounds like Mill is using "perfect" duty to refer to ethical duty (arising from an existing agreement, e.g., law), and "imperfect duty" to refer to moral duty (arising out of a good will, e.g., love, a desire to benefit others or reduce their harm).

Using "perfect" and "imperfect" seems to be less explanatory to me (they carry less utility 🙂).

The notion of utility is "what is something good for" or "how can we use it". Morality is good for goodness. Ethics is good for rightness. Morality does not serve happiness. Rather, happiness should serve goodness. We should feel good about being good and doing good.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream