Does ancient Stoicism speak to us today

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Something_Different
New Trial Member

Re: Does ancient Stoicism speak to us today

Post by Something_Different »

rcampb, I may be missing something, but could you be more specific about what part of modern thought would make the ideology of the stoics obsolete?

Since you've mentioned theories of the subconscious, it seems like your argument might be along the lines of:
  1. Subconscious phenomena exist (according to modern psychology)
  2. Therefore the conscious mind is not completely in control of our mental states.
  3. Stoicism requires the conscious mind to exercise complete control over mental states.
  4. Therefore stoicism is not effective.
Though I'm not an expert, I believe that most stoics would admit (2) but deny (3). Haven't there been many people (like chewybrian) who have seen a real improvement in well-being from taking a stoic perspective even though (it might be admitted that) none of us is completely in control of how we feel?
Felix

Post by Felix »

Terrapin Station: I still don't believe that there are any good reasons to buy that there are unconscious mental phenomena, if that's (presumably) what you're positing.
It's a basic tenet of behavioural psychology. What is a memory before you recall it?
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

rcampb wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 6:38 pm The ancient philosophers didn't know about the existence of the unconscious which was discovered only by modern psychology. We know now that the unconscious has a huge influence over our behaviour and it has changed the modern worldview about the human condition. In the light of this do the ancient Stoics speak to us now, why should we turn to them for guidance instead of modern thought.
In a similar way to how Psychology seemed to excavate a new angle on our world view, neurobiology is beginning to do the same.

Now we know about neural correlation, we can think about ''the unconscious'' in more concrete terms, and see it more as a metaphor for the underlying physical processes. Neural processes inter-connect and influence each other, but not all rise to phenomenal consciousness, and our behaviour reflects both. With the thinky voice in our head giving an ongoing commentary which creates a coherent narrative out of it all. The raw material from which meaningful ideas like Stoicism are crafted.

(There's also the issue of focus and attention, so you might 'peripherally' register something without consciously thinking 'I am now noticing those shadows over there move', but react anyway and maybe even later on 'remember' noticing the shadow's move. Or just 'having a feeling' something was off. Like you can instantly like/dislike a person/idea/situation for no conscious reason, but because some unconscious neural connections are firing).

So the unconscious can be thought about as genetic factors and pre-dispositions influencing types of neural development and interaction, combined with experience continuing to do the same. Some phenomenally conscious, some not. Early experience setting and reinforcing neural patterns which might later be triggered by different stimuli. A lot of psychology is about untangling that and trying to set healthier patterns. (Where psychiatry takes a more direct approach in adjusting the chemistry). Philosophies like Stoicism aren't dissimilar to offering cognitive psychological coping methods perhaps. Whatever works for you...
Felix

Post by Felix »

rcampb: Jung said that we need to integrate our "shadow" in the unconscious into consciousness otherwise it will find outlets in unhealthy ways such as addictions, neuroses, etc.
By all accounts, mental illness is far more prevalent in modern society than it ever was in ancient times so why would you presume that modern psychological treatments are more effective? Psychoactive drugs are the only thing we have on them and it's debatable whether that can be considered progress.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

rcampb wrote: June 24th, 2020, 11:45 am There was an error in my previous comment. It should read " the Stoics did not believe in evolution". Some less known Greek thinkers proposed the theory of evolution but it was rejected by the major figures in Greek thought, Aristotle and Plato.
Error 2.
Aristotle was possibly one of the few figures of ancient thought that DID have some idea of evolution. In fact Darwin quotes him in, I think, the second edition of Origin of Species.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

* Aristotle, in his 'Physicæ Auscultationes' (lib. 2, cap. 8, s. 2), after remarking that rain does not fall in order to make the corn grow, any more than it falls to spoil the farmer's corn when threshed out of doors, applies the same argument to organisation; and adds (as translated by Mr. Clair Grece, who first pointed out the passage to me), "So what hinders the different parts [of the body] from having this merely accidental relation in nature? as the teeth, for example, grow by necessity, the front ones sharp, adapted for dividing, and the grinders flat, and serviceable for masticating the food; since they were not made for the sake of this, but it was the result of accident. And in like manner as to the other parts in which there appears to exist an adaptation to an end. Wheresoever, therefore, all things together (that is all the parts of one whole) happened like as if they were made for the sake of something, these were preserved, having been appropriately constituted by an internal spontaneity; and whatsoever things were not thus constituted, perished, and still perish." We here see the principle of natural selection shadowed forth, but how little Aristotle fully comprehended the principle is shown by his remarks on the formation of the teeth.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

Felix wrote: June 26th, 2020, 5:39 am
rcampb: Jung said that we need to integrate our "shadow" in the unconscious into consciousness otherwise it will find outlets in unhealthy ways such as addictions, neuroses, etc.
By all accounts, mental illness is far more prevalent in modern society than it ever was in ancient times so why would you presume that modern psychological treatments are more effective? Psychoactive drugs are the only thing we have on them and it's debatable whether that can be considered progress.
I definitely agree with your sentiment that we are not more 'enlightened' because we have a bit more technology available to us, as I expressed on the prior page. But, I'm not sure we can fairly judge the frequency of mental illness across the ages, for the same reasons we can only guess at the prevalence of homosexuality.

In the past, admitting a mental illness might have caused you to be mocked, ostracized, imprisoned or even killed. Today, you might get empathetic understanding and special accommodations, and the right to pass off some of your crappy decisions as symptoms of your medical condition rather than evidence of your character flaws. In one instance I get chained in a cell; in another I get a service dog. My willingness to own up will certainly be driven by my perception of the likely outcome of my admission, and therefore the reported numbers between these eras will be poorly related to the truth.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

The Stoics had the best psycho-drugs. A fact: The Iatromantis practiced Incubation.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Felix wrote: June 26th, 2020, 5:23 am
Terrapin Station: I still don't believe that there are any good reasons to buy that there are unconscious mental phenomena, if that's (presumably) what you're positing.
It's a basic tenet of behavioural psychology. What is a memory before you recall it?
A disposition to have particular mental phenomena, due to fine-grained structural facts in your brain.
audiopaynt
New Trial Member

Post by audiopaynt »

It depends on the philosopher. Marcus Aurelius was a different man to Plato, much later and in much differing circumstances. Reading Marcus's meditations is an insight into the man that could have everything but made attempts to value having nothing. For me Seneca, is focus on life, time and the ability to recognise 'timeline' is really important for remaining present. Yoga teaches to be present, meditations of all more modern forms also champion being present. Seneca's input for me, adds to that and is a useful aid in furthering my 'swiss army knife' of tools to find presence. Also, first post, big fan.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream