Can Physicalism be defined non-instrumentally?

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Steve3007

Re: Can Physicalism be defined non-instrumentally?

Post by Steve3007 »

To define "the physical" or "matter" without doing it in terms of the patterns in possible observations (or the subjects/activities that involve studying those patterns) I presume people would just say something like "matter is all the stuff that exists". That would mean that physicalism as "the view that everything is physical" (or materialism as "the view everything is matter") boils down to the view that everything that exists is everything that exists. Not very enlightening.

So I haven't yet seen a reason to say "yes" to the title of this topic.
The Beast

Post by The Beast »

Mechanically, there are two kinds of thoughts. The automatic thoughts and reason. If I smell a rose the automatic thought is the smell and all other thoughts are after thoughts absurd or not done by reason. Passive? One can have automatic thoughts about non-physical objects. If this is true, then non-physical objects exist or is this only asserted by the normative reason.
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Consul wrote: June 28th, 2020, 3:49 pm No, what I would say is that nonexistent things are represented as having properties that they don't really have, because they are really nothing in themselves, being nothing but mere Gedankendinge ("thought-things"), intentional objects of thought or imagination.
Right. So what part of any of that would you say is nonphysical?
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Consul wrote:…everything that exists, is real.
If, here, you mean "real" as the antonym of "abstract" then you're saying that everything that exists is extra-mental. I disagree.

When you quoted David Lewis, later in that post, did you do so because you agree with what he said or just because you thought his views were worth airing?
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Steve3007 wrote: June 27th, 2020, 11:34 am Physicalism is the idea that everything supervenes on the physical. But what do we mean by "the physical"?

One way to define the physical is in terms of the patterns in diverse sensations. We can propose that there exists an extra-mental world which causes our sensations. We can then say that the fact that single entities in that world give rise to diverse sensations is what causes those diverse sensations to be related to each other via those patterns. We can then say that those entities, in that world, are "the physical".

But that is an instrumental definition. It defines "the physical", and therefore Physicalism, in terms of its utility for describing and predicting patterns in sensations. Is there another way?

It also means that Physicalism is not necessarily tied to Materialism. Materialism is the idea that everything supervenes on matter. But there is no coherent reason to decide that those entities should only be given the label "matter". Other labels are available. Under this instrumental definition, the label(s) used would depend entirely on what is most useful for describing and predicting the patterns in those sensations.
If I'm understanding you I think what you are pointing to here is that all knowledge is inferred, except directly known experiential states. Thus we build models of an exterior world 'out there' (and call it say Physicalism) based on the content of those experiential states.

I don't think this is controversial, and is a caveat which can be applied to all such models and 'isms' which postulate the existence of anything but experiential states themselves.

The 'other way' is to take a leap of faith and assume the content of your experience refers to something real independant of your conscious experience of it, and try to understand what that real stuff 'out there' is. Materialism for example does that.

You can make a case for stuff existing independantly of a conscious being (you) experiencing it, but you can never have that directly known certainty that anything exists beyond your own experiential states. It's a radical scepticism which is irrefutable imo, but kinda pointless too, because we have to take the leap of faith to get anywhere. Even experientially - my dinner won't come to me on its own however much I imagine it.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Consul
Supervenience may be sufficient for nonreductive physicalism, but it's not sufficient for reductive physicalism. For example, the mental states of immaterial souls might supervene on the physical states of bodies; but if so, they would still be nonphysical, physically irreducible states of nonphysical, physically irreducible things, in which case reductive physicalism is false.
Right. Panpsychism too.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Gertie wrote:If I'm understanding you I think what you are pointing to here is that all knowledge is inferred, except directly known experiential states. Thus we build models of an exterior world 'out there' (and call it say Physicalism) based on the content of those experiential states.

I don't think this is controversial, and is a caveat which can be applied to all such models and 'isms' which postulate the existence of anything but experiential states themselves.

The 'other way' is to take a leap of faith and assume the content of your experience refers to something real independant of your conscious experience of it, and try to understand what that real stuff 'out there' is. Materialism for example does that.
The distinction that you appear to make between Physicalism and Materialism in the above passage (bold added for emphasis) is not a distinction that I would make.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Gertie wrote:The 'other way' is to take a leap of faith and assume the content of your experience refers to something real independant of your conscious experience of it
This appears to be a counterpoint to your earlier part, which begins with "If I'm understanding you...". My point in the OP was not to posit that the exterior world only exists as mental models; it was not about Idealism. Therefore, I might have to say no, I don't think you are understanding me.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Steve3007 wrote: June 29th, 2020, 5:59 am
Gertie wrote:The 'other way' is to take a leap of faith and assume the content of your experience refers to something real independant of your conscious experience of it
This appears to be a counterpoint to your earlier part, which begins with "If I'm understanding you...". My point in the OP was not to posit that the exterior world only exists as mental models; it was not about Idealism. Therefore, I might have to say no, I don't think you are understanding me.
I wasn't suggesting that your claim was the exterior world only exists as mental models, rather that the instrumentalist aspect of physicalism you're pointing lies in the act of creating models based on the content of our experience, because the mental experience itself is all you can be certain exists. That's the underlying premise implied. Is that wrong?

If that's a correct reading, we can tackle the underlying problem by taking the leap of faith to by-pass the fact that all knowledge is based in mental experience, and just assume that the content of our mental experience is referencing something real 'out there'. Like material stuff and forces. You could call that a cheat hack, but if you want to talk about things like materialist monism for example, it's one you're forced to make I think.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Gertie wrote:I wasn't suggesting that your claim was the exterior world only exists as mental models, rather that the instrumentalist aspect of physicalism you're pointing lies in the act of creating models based on the content of our experience, because the mental experience itself is all you can be certain exists. That's the underlying premise implied. Is that wrong?
Okay, yes, that is broadly correct. The only slight caveat I would add is that I don't see a need to emphasize that "mental experience itself is all you can be certain exists". That is true, but I wouldn't want it to be seen as implying some kind of need for certainty. Some people do seem to have that need, with the result that they often retreat to some form of Idealism, with the vain hope of performing a Cartesian-style exercise of re-building an edifice of certain knowledge. (Exemplar here: RJG).

My point is a simple (and perhaps obvious) one: that we can't define "matter" or "the physical" in any way other than by referencing patterns in our observations. Of course, if anybody wants to propose a definition of those terms that doesn't need those references, and which doesn't reduce Physicalism and Materialism to empty tautologies, I'd be happy to hear it.
If that's a correct reading, we can tackle the underlying problem by taking the leap of faith to by-pass the fact that all knowledge is based in mental experience, and just assume that the content of our mental experience is referencing something real 'out there'. Like material stuff and forces. You could call that a cheat hack, but if you want to talk about things like materialist monism for example, it's one you're forced to make I think.
I wouldn't refer to it either as a leap of faith or a cheat hack. The theory that there exists a real world is based on the evidence of the patterns in diverse sensations. Not being certain doesn't, in my view, make it a leap of faith. I wouldn't divide the world into certainties and leaps of faith with nothing in between.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Steve3007 wrote: June 29th, 2020, 8:07 am
Gertie wrote:I wasn't suggesting that your claim was the exterior world only exists as mental models, rather that the instrumentalist aspect of physicalism you're pointing lies in the act of creating models based on the content of our experience, because the mental experience itself is all you can be certain exists. That's the underlying premise implied. Is that wrong?
Okay, yes, that is broadly correct. The only slight caveat I would add is that I don't see a need to emphasize that "mental experience itself is all you can be certain exists". That is true, but I wouldn't want it to be seen as implying some kind of need for certainty. Some people do seem to have that need, with the result that they often retreat to some form of Idealism, with the vain hope of performing a Cartesian-style exercise of re-building an edifice of certain knowledge. (Exemplar here: RJG).

My point is a simple (and perhaps obvious) one: that we can't define "matter" or "the physical" in any way other than by referencing patterns in our observations.
Indeed we can't. ... Which is just emphasising the bit you don't really "see a need to emphasize", isn't it? 🤔😉
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Terrapin Station

Gertie wrote: June 29th, 2020, 6:37 am . . . the act of creating models based on the content of our experience, because the mental experience itself is all you can be certain exists.
A problem with this that's never acknowledged is that we can be no more certain of mental experience being mental experience when it comes to most things. It's common to act like it's a default that all phenomena are at least mental experience (to a person, at least), but that's not clearly the case at all. A large portion of "the phenomenal stream" is simply objects (a) with no attendant ''this is a mental experience'' phenomena attached, and (b) even if the phenomenal stream always had "this is a mental experience" phenomena attached, those "this is a mental experience" phenomena are different than the object phenomena in the phenomenal stream.

What am I saying here?

I'm an avid hiker, so I like to use trees as an example. When you're hiking, there are a lot of trees in the phenomenal stream (well, at least if you're hiking someplace like the Eastern U.S.). Trees appear all over the place, obviously. For most of those, there's no attendant "this is a mental experience of a tree" present. There's just a phenomenal tree. (I'm using "phenomenal" in the sense of simply "appearing.") To get from that to "this is a mental experience of a tree" we have to do something theoretical, and that theoretical move is something we can't at all be certain of.
Noit U Love
New Trial Member

Post by Noit U Love »

Pattern-chaser wrote:Indeed we can't. ... Which is just emphasising the bit you don't really "see a need to emphasize", isn't it?
I see your point but, no, I don't think it is emphasizing that. I'm saying we can't define "matter" without reference to patterns in our observations. That's not the same as saying that we can't be sure that matter exists or that "mental experience itself is all you can be certain exists". My main theme in the topic is meaningful definitions of Physicalism.
Terrapin Station

I think what typically happens, by the way, is that people think of themselves as humans situated in the world, with bodies, brains, etc., and then they think about the fact that the only way they know anything about the world is via information entering their senses, processed by their brains, etc., where they realize "I can't know anything otherwise, so what I'm really knowing in this situation is something my brain is doing."

However, we can't get to conclusions like that if we don't accept that we're bodies with brains, situated in a world that doesn't consist only of our minds, etc. so "we can only be certain of our minds" declarations, arrived at in the above way, couldn't be more dubious, because we can't get to the conclusion without assuming the standard realist picture of things.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Steve3007 wrote: June 28th, 2020, 4:23 pmI'm still none the wiser as to how you would define "the physical". It may be be as I did in the OP. But I'm not sure.
Okay, let's try this one:

x is a physical entity =def x is part of the subject matter of physics (the basic science of matter-energy-space-time [MEST]), or x is causally-compositionally (mechanico-mereologically) realized by (complexes of) entities belonging to the subject matter of physics.
"We may philosophize well or ill, but we must philosophize." – Wilfrid Sellars

Return to “Philosophy of Science”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream