A Moral Universe

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Angel Trismegistus
Favorite Philosopher: William James

Re: A Moral Universe

Post by Angel Trismegistus »

Belindi wrote: September 14th, 2020, 11:53 am Angel Trismegistus, life may be the primary value for you but not for some workaholics and creative geniuses for whom power, wealth, and the urge to satisfy curiosity are far more important than life or health.
More's the pity, Belindi. More's the pity.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Belindi wrote: September 11th, 2020, 3:30 am But If "good" were finite it would be linear not circular reasoning.
In what sense an abstract quality could be measured in the abstract?
Belindi wrote: September 11th, 2020, 3:30 am Finite good is therefore one of several definitions of 'God' i.e. God is not only what we tend towards but is also reality.
A god that is finite is by definition not a god. I mean, it could be any mediocre imperfect deity, but what would be the point?
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 14th, 2020, 5:33 pm
Belindi wrote: September 14th, 2020, 11:53 am Angel Trismegistus, life may be the primary value for you but not for some workaholics and creative geniuses for whom power, wealth, and the urge to satisfy curiosity are far more important than life or health.
But if there were no individuals who risked or sacrificed their lives and comfort for some cause greater than their own lives what sort of species would 'we' be? 'We' would not be a wise species, because 'we' would have stopped evolving long before we even became mammals.
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Count Lucanor wrote: September 14th, 2020, 9:44 pm
Belindi wrote: September 11th, 2020, 3:30 am But If "good" were finite it would be linear not circular reasoning.
In what sense an abstract quality could be measured in the abstract?
Belindi wrote: September 11th, 2020, 3:30 am Finite good is therefore one of several definitions of 'God' i.e. God is not only what we tend towards but is also reality.
A god that is finite is by definition not a god. I mean, it could be any mediocre imperfect deity, but what would be the point?
You can't measure any abstract quality until you transpose it on to extended matter. This is the rationale for the incarnation of gods. The rationale for the Incarnation of God in Jesus .

The point of making a god into a finite creature of time is, as I wrote above,so that we can know it. This process of making a tangible symbol from an abstract idea is as old as humanity itself. It's a process that extends beyond incarnation of gods to incarnations of pride, vanity, beauty, sex, capitalism, war, liberty, wisdom, and so forth
Angel Trismegistus

Belindi wrote: September 15th, 2020, 4:03 am
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 14th, 2020, 5:33 pm
But if there were no individuals who risked or sacrificed their lives and comfort for some cause greater than their own lives what sort of species would 'we' be? 'We' would not be a wise species, because 'we' would have stopped evolving long before we even became mammals.
It may well be that we stopped evolving before we began, Belindi. Who knows? As for causes worth dying for, these have become rare over the last half-century, in the course of the last four or five generations, during which moral values have all but disappeared. In any case, I don't merit your "But" -- I essential agree with you.
Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Angel Trismegistus wrote:As for causes worth dying for, these have become rare over the last half-century, ...
On the face of it, if true, that would be a good thing wouldn't it?
...in the course of the last four or five generations, during which moral values have all but disappeared.
According to your idiosyncratic definition of morality, that would mean that the laws of physics have stopped being applicable, yes?
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 15th, 2020, 6:36 am .
Are you going to respond to my last post to you?

"Right. So for example, take this bit: 'Life is the primary value and that value is derived by Man in and through his drive to preserve his own life. Man is a rational animal and over time this value was transfered to others, to mates, family members, tribes.'

For one, how is it transferred to others?"

You don't address how it's transferred to others in that thread, and that has to do with what I'm getting at.
Angel Trismegistus

Terrapin Station wrote: September 15th, 2020, 8:51 am
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 15th, 2020, 6:36 am .
Are you going to respond to my last post to you?

"Right. So for example, take this bit: 'Life is the primary value and that value is derived by Man in and through his drive to preserve his own life. Man is a rational animal and over time this value was transfered to others, to mates, family members, tribes.'

For one, how is it transferred to others?"

You don't address how it's transferred to others in that thread, and that has to do with what I'm getting at.
Possess your soul in patience, TP. Of course I'm going to respond. We're engaged in a good-faith discussion, aren't we? Not in an interrogation. I'll post a reply forthwith.
Angel Trismegistus

Terrapin Station wrote: September 14th, 2020, 2:07 pm
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 14th, 2020, 1:09 pm
I know what "normatives" means in the way you use it. I use it in just that way in my reply to your question. I believe I've answered your question. What makes you say I haven't even "addressed" what you're asking? I wouldn't be surprised if you said you disagree with my account, and I'm pretty certain you don't like my account, but how can you say I haven't addressed your question?
Right. So for example, take this bit: " Life is the primary value and that value is derived by Man in and through his drive to preserve his own life. Man is a rational animal and over time this value was transfered to others, to mates, family members, tribes."

For one, how is it transferred to others?
While I suspect no answer I provide will satisfy you, here is how the transfer likely went down -- by way of sympathy, empathy and other vicarious psychological mechanisms inherent to human beings, as well as social affiliation which developed from family to tribe to village to town and city in the course of ages. Cave man, aware of the value of his own life to himself, naturally, over time, recognized the same value in others by way of the ties that bind in the various stages of his social development. Cave man's fear for his own life encountered the killing of others with disgust, and the natural biological obligation to preserve his own life carried over to the obligation not to take the life of another.
Angel Trismegistus

Steve3007 wrote: September 15th, 2020, 6:58 am
Angel Trismegistus wrote:As for causes worth dying for, these have become rare over the last half-century, ...
On the face of it, if true, that would be a good thing wouldn't it?
Would it?
...in the course of the last four or five generations, during which moral values have all but disappeared.
According to your idiosyncratic definition of morality, that would mean that the laws of physics have stopped being applicable, yes?
[/quote]
No, according to my idiosyncratic definition of morality, man is a special case to begin with, the only morally ambiguous being in the universe, whose nature (i.e., human nature, i.e., rational self-consciousness) places him outside the moral order of the universe where he operates as a free moral agent.
Angel Trismegistus

Gertie wrote: September 14th, 2020, 4:11 pm
So we are discussing "the action-based aspect of morality" with a view to better understand Hume's Is/Ought distinction.

What would you say is the difference between these two different actions: A1 and A2?
Which action demands moral consideration? A1? A2? Both? Neither?
Of course you can't answer this without knowing more, yes?
What would you need to know about A1 and A2 in order to decide whether an Ought applies?
Hume says '' For as this ought, or ought not, expresses some new relation or affirmation,’tis necessary that it shou’d be observ’d and explain’d; ''

We agree, I think, this ''new relation'' relies on the belief that some actions carry an extra burden of obligation or justification which relates to the notion of some actions being morally right and some being morally wrong. (The term ''ought'' is used as a language signifier to identify such actions).

To directly judge whether or not a specific action itself is suitably viewed in terms of right and wrong, brings the Objective v Subjective nature of morality into play. A moral realist would say there are identifiable moral facts about the world which she could presumably refer to and list as The Answer. I'm not a moral realist, and Hume wasn't. I believe my answer, like everybody else, relies on my own specific beliefs about right and wrong. What I would need to know about any action might differ from what you would need to know. Hence I can give My Answer, but that doesn't mean it's The Answer, or there's such a thing as The Answer. My answer -

I would need to know if it positively or negatively affects the wellbeing of conscious beings, because that is the basis for my personal notion of right and wrong.
But this appeal to subjectivism pulls the rug out from under Hume's Is/Ought distinction, doesn't it? Or is Hume merely making a point for moral subjectivists in the gallery? Does Hume's thesis apply to morality per se, or only to a subjectivist morality? There is an important difference between these two statements after all:

1. Because one cannot derive an Ought from an Is, morality is subjective.
2. Because morality is subjective, one cannot derive an Ought from an Is.

#2 is a petitio principii.
#1 is a sound conclusion, but only if it has been shown that one cannot derive an Ought from an Is.

One cannot appeal to subjectivism to justify #1 without begging the question, no?

Gertie wrote: September 14th, 2020, 4:11 pm
And about this:

Was this a Yes or No to the question?
It's a question I have to break down to answer.

We might also ask ourselves whether this pre-linguistic moral thinking is natural to man
- yes
that is to say, is this deeper-than-language moral thought sourced in human nature?
- 'moral intuitions' are, yes. But you'd have to clarify what you mean by ''thinking'' if you're asking about something else.
Or is it conditioned by the very discourse we have supposed it is deeper than?
- yes and no. These natural intuitions are conditioned as specifically ''moral'' intuitions by discourse, in the sense of given particular types of 'right and wrong framing' properties - yes.

But no they aren't the source, they are a particular framing of the intuitive source - Hume's Yuck v Yummy point.
If I read you aright, your answer is a qualified Yes, that moral thought is natural to man, sourced in human nature. The qualification has to do with a distinction you draw between moral intuition on the one hand and moral thought (intuition framed by discourse) on the other. Have I read you correctly? If so, what are these moral intuitions before they are "conditioned" by discursive framing? And whence this discursive moral framing? How do we come by this template?
Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Post by Terrapin Station »

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 15th, 2020, 12:15 pm While I suspect no answer I provide will satisfy you, here is how the transfer likely went down -- by way of sympathy, empathy and other vicarious psychological mechanisms inherent to human beings, as well as social affiliation which developed from family to tribe to village to town and city in the course of ages. Cave man, aware of the value of his own life to himself, naturally, over time, recognized the same value in others by way of the ties that bind in the various stages of his social development. Cave man's fear for his own life encountered the killing of others with disgust, and the natural biological obligation to preserve his own life carried over to the obligation not to take the life of another.
Okay, but you know that as a trivial factual matter, not everyone has the same ethical stances, right?
Angel Trismegistus

Terrapin Station wrote: September 15th, 2020, 2:55 pm
Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 15th, 2020, 12:15 pm While I suspect no answer I provide will satisfy you, here is how the transfer likely went down -- by way of sympathy, empathy and other vicarious psychological mechanisms inherent to human beings, as well as social affiliation which developed from family to tribe to village to town and city in the course of ages. Cave man, aware of the value of his own life to himself, naturally, over time, recognized the same value in others by way of the ties that bind in the various stages of his social development. Cave man's fear for his own life encountered the killing of others with disgust, and the natural biological obligation to preserve his own life carried over to the obligation not to take the life of another.
Okay, but you know that as a trivial factual matter, not everyone has the same ethical stances, right?
As formulated succinctly for you in an earlier post:

Biological normativity over time became moral normativity by way of reasoning on the matter in increasingly social and culturally diverse contexts.

"A trivial factual matter" you say? Well, it is a factual hypothesis, yes; a hypothesis as to facts, yes. But trivial? Only if the moral order of the human world is a triviality to you.

And once again you introduce into the dialogue your second-favorite word (after "normatives"): stances. As pointed out to you once before,. outside the sense of physical posture, the word "stance" is figurative of a mental attitude. So when you speak of "ethical stances" you are referring to moral judgments (rather than moral principle) and yes, to be sure, as you say, "not everyone has the same ethical stances." But the diversity of moral judgments across the human moral world does not belie the principle of morality that grounds all moral judgments however diverse. That argument is made out in the thread "On Morality: a dialogue."
Belindi

Post by Belindi »

Angel Trismegistus wrote: September 16th, 2020, 3:02 am
Terrapin Station wrote: September 15th, 2020, 2:55 pm

As formulated succinctly for you in an earlier post:

Biological normativity over time became moral normativity by way of reasoning on the matter in increasingly social and culturally diverse contexts.

"A trivial factual matter" you say? Well, it is a factual hypothesis, yes; a hypothesis as to facts, yes. But trivial? Only if the moral order of the human world is a triviality to you.

And once again you introduce into the dialogue your second-favorite word (after "normatives"): stances. As pointed out to you once before,. outside the sense of physical posture, the word "stance" is figurative of a mental attitude. So when you speak of "ethical stances" you are referring to moral judgments (rather than moral principle) and yes, to be sure, as you say, "not everyone has the same ethical stances." But the diversity of moral judgments across the human moral world does not belie the principle of morality that grounds all moral judgments however diverse. That argument is made out in the thread "On Morality: a dialogue."
We all know that soldiers and policemen might be brutalised, and soldiers who used bayonets were deliberately brutalised so they were able to use the bayonets to kill.Is every person unable to deliberately kill another person unless they have been brutalised? If so this would fit Angel's idea of what human nature is.

What then of children who murder other smaller children? Were they born brutal, or did their social milieux make them brutal? I think there are factual answers to these questions.
Gertie

Post by Gertie »

Angel

We agree, I think, Hume's ''new relation'' relies on the belief that some actions carry an extra burden of obligation or justification which relates to the notion of some actions being morally right and some being morally wrong. (The term ''ought'' is used as a language signifier to identify such actions).

To directly judge whether or not a specific action itself is suitably viewed in terms of right and wrong, brings the Objective v Subjective nature of morality into play. A moral realist would say there are identifiable moral facts about the world which she could presumably refer to and list as The Answer. I'm not a moral realist, and Hume wasn't. I believe my answer, like everybody else, relies on my own specific beliefs about right and wrong. What I would need to know about any action might differ from what you would need to know. Hence I can give My Answer, but that doesn't mean it's The Answer, or there's such a thing as The Answer. My answer -

I would need to know if it positively or negatively affects the wellbeing of conscious beings, because that is the basis for my personal notion of right and wrong.
But this appeal to subjectivism pulls the rug out from under Hume's Is/Ought distinction, doesn't it? Or is Hume merely making a point for moral subjectivists in the gallery? Does Hume's thesis apply to morality per se, or only to a subjectivist morality?
Not sure I understand your objection? I introduced the term subjective, in the sense that morality isn't an objective fact about the world (we can discover through reason). Hume says moral judgements are rooted in emotional responses. Our contemporary take fills that out in terms of evolved predispositions, honed by contingent environmental factors - Nature + Nurture. So different individuals (eg from different times or cultures) might give different answers to your question. And there is not an objectively correct answer to be discovered by reasoning from facts about the world.

Here's the SEP summary of Hume's positions on morality https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/hume-moral/#io

Hume’s position in ethics, which is based on his empiricist theory of the mind, is best known for asserting four theses: (1) Reason alone cannot be a motive to the will, but rather is the “slave of the passions” (see Section 3) (2) Moral distinctions are not derived from reason (see Section 4). (3) Moral distinctions are derived from the moral sentiments: feelings of approval (esteem, praise) and disapproval (blame) felt by spectators who contemplate a character trait or action (see Section 7). (4) While some virtues and vices are natural (see Section 13), others, including justice, are artificial (see Section 9). There is heated debate about what Hume intends by each of these theses and how he argues for them. He articulates and defends them within the broader context of his metaethics and his ethic of virtue and vice.

There is an important difference between these two statements after all:
1. Because one cannot derive an Ought from an Is, morality is subjective.
2. Because morality is subjective, one cannot derive an Ought from an Is.

#2 is a petitio principii.
#1 is a sound conclusion, but only if it has been shown that one cannot derive an Ought from an Is.

One cannot appeal to subjectivism to justify #1 without begging the question, no?
1. Hume's position would be you can't get Oughts by reasoning from facts about the world (the Ises). I agree, I can't reason my way to Oughts from Ises. (That's why I say philosophy shouldn't worry about that if it wants to rescue morality from our current po-mo, subjective, relativist, pick n mix morass). It's not question begging, it's a claim that it can't be done. The counter is to do it...

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream