The ethics of flogging a dead horse

Discuss morality and ethics in this message board.
Featured Article: Philosophical Analysis of Abortion, The Right to Life, and Murder
Steve3007

The ethics of flogging a dead horse

Post by Steve3007 »

A big story in the British news over the last few days has been the supposed controversy of a person in the horse racing business being photographed sitting on a dead horse. Since the horse is dead, I don't see what harm this could do. There is some talk of violation of the "dignity" of the horse, but this seems to me to be an example of the way that we anthropomorphize non-human animals by projecting our own feelings onto them. Given the way we treat other animals of similar complexity and sentience (cows, pigs, etc) this seems to be another example of the curious attitude we often have to the whole subject of non-human animal welfare.

Any thoughts?

For reference, here's one of the news articles about this story:
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rac ... 09095.html
psyreporter

Re: The ethics of flogging a dead horse

Post by psyreporter »

A horse is a 'noble animal' and has earned a 'dignity'. Such a status can only derive significance by active protection of what the status 'noble animal' entails.

In modern times the horse is no longer a crucial part of human existence but on behalf of cultural heritage, especially considering the status 'noble animal' as a concept by itself, it may still be considered applicable to defend the well-earned dignity of a horse.
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
RJG

Post by RJG »

Those that hold horses sacred, views this as terrible, and as bad as sitting on a dead loved one.
But those that don't hold horses sacred, views this as nothing more significant than sitting on a rock.

Sacred-ness is relative to the viewer.
BobS

Post by BobS »

Steve3007 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 7:10 am Any thoughts?
If I saw a photo of someone sitting on a dead horse, I’d probably have a mildly negative reaction if it suggested an abusive attitude toward animals. But I wouldn’t linger; I’d just go about my day.

The article you linked to doesn’t suggest an abusive attitude on the part of the miscreant, and I wouldn’t care if he ever did it again in the same circumstances. The controversy strikes me as just one more example of people looking for things to be upset about, partly because many have too much time on their hands, partly because (with many notable exceptions -- I’m looking at you, Trump supporters), anyone who counts on the public for his income needs to avoid being seen as un-PC. Especially in these days of the Internet, when large numbers of people are out there just looking for reasons to be aggrieved.

But whatever one’s reaction, I don’t see what anthropomorphizing has to do with it. I’m against needless1 cruelty to animals, and it has nothing to do with thinking that animals are “like me.” It’s enough that they’re alive and can feel pain. Maybe you could characterize this as thinking that animals have “dignity,” but I generally don’t try to formulate precise abstractions to account for my feelings on the subject.

I doubt there’s just one attitude among (or one specific divide between) people on this subject. There’s probably variety of reasons why (some) people draw a distinction between horses and other animals of similar sentience. Many people, I’m sure, are simply accustomed to its being acceptable in their culture to chow down on cows and pigs, but not horses -- the same way that many Westerners are disgusted by the idea of eating snakes or insects. Many, I’m sure, think along the line of horses being part of the group of animals that are our “friends,” maybe not so much as dogs and cats, but still part of that group. Other people undoubtedly have other responses.

1I say “needless”, since we could debate what “cruelty” means. Vegans think it’s cruel to eat animals, even if one kills them in a “humane” manner. For my part, I eat animals, even as I feel bad when I club a fish in order to eat it really fresh. Hey, if God didn’t want me to kill fish that I've caught, he wouldn’t have given me a hand in which to hold a club. :roll:
RJG

Post by RJG »

BobS wrote:The controversy strikes me as just one more example of people looking for things to be upset about, partly because many have too much time on their hands...
A great observation. I agree.

This British news man is spot on in his view about this sort of thing:
https://www.facebook.com/mark.polis.9/v ... 1091561488
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

Steve3007 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 7:10 am A big story in the British news over the last few days has been the supposed controversy of a person in the horse racing business being photographed sitting on a dead horse. Since the horse is dead, I don't see what harm this could do. There is some talk of violation of the "dignity" of the horse, but this seems to me to be an example of the way that we anthropomorphize non-human animals by projecting our own feelings onto them. Given the way we treat other animals of similar complexity and sentience (cows, pigs, etc) this seems to be another example of the curious attitude we often have to the whole subject of non-human animal welfare.

Any thoughts?

Considering the declining state of culture in the UK and USA, I'm not surprised they would get offended by this. It's ridiculous, of course.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Steve3007 wrote: March 5th, 2021, 7:10 am A big story in the British news over the last few days has been the supposed controversy of a person in the horse racing business being photographed sitting on a dead horse. Since the horse is dead, I don't see what harm this could do. There is some talk of violation of the "dignity" of the horse, but this seems to me to be an example of the way that we anthropomorphize non-human animals by projecting our own feelings onto them. Given the way we treat other animals of similar complexity and sentience (cows, pigs, etc) this seems to be another example of the curious attitude we often have to the whole subject of non-human animal welfare.

Any thoughts?

My thoughts are that folks have opinions, so what? No one is arresting the guy, which would be ridiculous. The guy was criticized in the press, what makes a journalist's opinion more important than your opinion? Nothing. He apologized, so I guess the guy himself thought there was a problem with his behavior, who am I to disagree?
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Exactly Steve. Those complaining forget about the cruelties meted out on other intelligent animals out of the public eye.

I personally don't care for people disrespecting the living or dead bodies of other life forms. If one feels compelled to show disrespect, pragmatically, it's better to disrespect the dead than the living.
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

This is nothing to do with the horse.
Gordon Elliott said he sat on the dead horse to nswer his phone, and that he did it "without thinking".
This is a bit like a person driving their car into a pedestrian saying " I did not see him coming".
THis is about Gordon Elliott and the utter disregard with which he treats a dead horse, as this refelcts that attitude that he clearly apprehends all horses under his "care" as a trainer.
If he does not think about the horse as anything more than a seat then you have to ask what the fucc does he care about real lving horses which he trains.
Obviously for him and the industry of the racing world, horses are engines to make money. when they are old they are knackered and rendered into clue and fertilizer.

What I want to know is how did the image make its way onto the pages of social media?????
Was it posted by a rival or by a member of his own stable?

Were they also "not thinking" when they posted it? Did they not also fail to understand that people outside their business think more about horses than they do?
BobS

Post by BobS »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 6th, 2021, 2:56 pm This is a bit like a person driving their car into a pedestrian saying " I did not see him coming".
What, you've never done anything "thoughtlessly" and later regretted it? Just based on what humanity in general is like, I suspect that you have. More than once. And if you have, on each occasion was it "a bit" like running over a pedestrian?

I suggest that your reaction to this story is a bit excessive. Driving a car calls for attention to safety every time, all the time. I don't see how it's anything like attending (or thoughtlessly not immediately attending) to a dead horse.
Sculptor1 wrote: THis is about Gordon Elliott and the utter disregard with which he treats a dead horse, as this refelcts that attitude that he clearly apprehends all horses under his "care" as a trainer.
It might reflect how he treats living horses; it might now. You'd have to know him better to make what I'd consider a reasonable judgement.

But I guess that this current thread illustrates quite well how such a thing became a public controversy in the U.K.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

The example given appears to confusingly mix two individual issues that I believe can more easily be addressed individually.

1. Concerns of non-human animal welfare, such as torturing or non-defensively killing non-human animals.

2. Concerns of the treatment of a dead body, such as sitting on a dead human body while talking on a cell phone.

If any given group of people are in agreement in their opinions about each of the two above issues, then surely they would also be in agreement about their opinion about a situation that represented the combination of the above two issues.

Some people don't have qualms about torturing or non-defensively killing non-human animals, due to various reasons such as but not limited to the allegation that non-humans are not truly conscious (i.e. they are like philosophical zombies).

Some people don't have qualms about sitting on dead human bodies, especially insofar as the dead body is not in some sense the property of some living other human (e.g. family that would be offended) besides the person sitting on the dead human body.

If one has no qualms with either case, then one will presumably have no qualms with the combination.

If one has qualms with both #1 and #2 individually, then one will likely have qualms with the combination.

If one has qualms with only one, one will presumably not have an issue with the combination.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
baker

Post by baker »

Sy Borg wrote: March 6th, 2021, 5:53 amI personally don't care for people disrespecting the living or dead bodies of other life forms.
Really???
baker

Post by baker »

BobS wrote: March 6th, 2021, 4:18 pm
Sculptor1 wrote: March 6th, 2021, 2:56 pm This is a bit like a person driving their car into a pedestrian saying " I did not see him coming".
What, you've never done anything "thoughtlessly" and later regretted it? Just based on what humanity in general is like, I suspect that you have. More than once. And if you have, on each occasion was it "a bit" like running over a pedestrian?

I suggest that your reaction to this story is a bit excessive. Driving a car calls for attention to safety every time, all the time. I don't see how it's anything like attending (or thoughtlessly not immediately attending) to a dead horse.
Sculptor1 wrote: THis is about Gordon Elliott and the utter disregard with which he treats a dead horse, as this refelcts that attitude that he clearly apprehends all horses under his "care" as a trainer.
It might reflect how he treats living horses; it might now.
A defense of thoughtlessness. Wonderful!
baker

Post by baker »

Any thoughts?
If a professional baker would see there are mealworms or mouse droppings in the flour that he is about to use, and he'd use it anyway, what would you make of that?
If a medical nurse would be tending to your wound, dropped a gauze on the floor, then pick it up and put it on your wound, what would you make of that?

For every profession, there are reasonable standards of work ethics and professionalism. If a person violates those standards, there, ideally, are consequences. Which is why the guy in the OP got temporarily suspended.

What is sad about this whole thing with the OP story is that reasonable standards of work ethics and professionalism appear to be alien to so many people.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

baker wrote: March 7th, 2021, 4:05 am
Sy Borg wrote: March 6th, 2021, 5:53 amI personally don't care for people disrespecting the living or dead bodies of other life forms.
Really???
I was not actually talking about trivial forum argy bargy that you appear to be pointedly overplaying for your self-gratification. No, this is about riding someone's corpse level of disrespect. There is a difference.

Return to “Ethics and Morality”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream