Is fame like gold? (Quote from Page 92 of The Biblical Clock)

Discuss the March 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God’s Plan by Daniel Friedmann.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Is fame like gold? (Quote from Page 92 of The Biblical Clock)

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

The following excerpt is from page 92 of my copy of The Biblical Clock:
Daniel Friedmann wrote:To those who valued and sought fame, [Rabbi Rashi's] actions no doubt would have seemed puzzling. However, the rabbi knew that fame was like gold--beautiful to the beholder, useful for relatively few things, coveted far beyond what it merited, and capable of driving people to great folly and sin.

Do you agree? Do you think fame and financial riches both in a parallel ways tend to be overvalued, overcoveted, and folly-inducing?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
LuckyR

Re: Is fame like gold? (Quote from Page 92 of The Biblical Clock)

Post by LuckyR »

Scott wrote: March 6th, 2021, 2:23 pm The following excerpt is from page 92 of my copy of The Biblical Clock:
Daniel Friedmann wrote:To those who valued and sought fame, [Rabbi Rashi's] actions no doubt would have seemed puzzling. However, the rabbi knew that fame was like gold--beautiful to the beholder, useful for relatively few things, coveted far beyond what it merited, and capable of driving people to great folly and sin.

Do you agree? Do you think fame and financial riches both in a parallel ways tend to be overvalued, overcoveted, and folly-inducing?
They do have similarities but also significant differences. The similarities run along the lines you pointed out, that is on folk's attitudes about them. The most important differences lie in their practical uses. Fame is difficult to quantify and to convert into practical actions, whereas wealth is the opposite.
"As usual... it depends."
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Seems to me like an everyday gratuitous platitude.
If you are obsessed with fame then you think it is good.
Some people like fame some people do not. The most important thing about gold is that no matter if you like it or not it has exchange value. Fame is not like that in any sense.
Friedman is wrong about gold, and about fame. Gold's uses are legion. I imagine that these comments reflect his own personal covetousness for fame - not surprising for a man of such narcisism that he self-publishes his own books.
There's really nothing more to say.
Alias
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Post by Alias »

In or order to balance the analogy, I think we need to substitute wealth for gold.
(Gold, like any natural substance, has practical applications that a concept like fame cannot.)
Fame and wealth can both be evil in the means of their acquisition - e.g. Hernán Cortés de Monroy y Pizarro Altamirano
https://www.history.com/topics/explorat ... nan-cortes and how they are used to exploit and oppress other people.
They can also be acquired by honest means and used to benefit others. https://people.com/tag/jane-fonda/
It is not the fame and wealth that corrupt the person; it is bad people that corrupt fame and wealth.

Beware facile aphorism!
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Post by Count Lucanor »

There's an old Latin American saying: "crea fama y acuéstate a dormir". Create fame and go to sleep.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Post by Sushan »

LuckyR wrote: March 7th, 2021, 5:44 am
Scott wrote: March 6th, 2021, 2:23 pm The following excerpt is from page 92 of my copy of The Biblical Clock:

They do have similarities but also significant differences. The similarities run along the lines you pointed out, that is on folk's attitudes about them. The most important differences lie in their practical uses. Fame is difficult to quantify and to convert into practical actions, whereas wealth is the opposite.
One is quantitative and the other one is qualitative. Yet, people have frequently argued what is more important, is it wealth or your honor (let's say 'fame' here). So it seems like the fact of being able to quantify or not has a low value in this comparison. As per my understanding, this comparison is quite accurate.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Alias

Post by Alias »

Sushan wrote: April 18th, 2021, 9:11 am
One is quantitative and the other one is qualitative. Yet, people have frequently argued what is more important, is it wealth or your honor (let's say 'fame' here).
I don't see how you substitute fame for honour. Though neither can be equated to, or compared with wealth, fame and honour are very different. You may acquire both fame and wealth at the cost of your honour, but once you have compromised honour, no amount of fame and wealth will bring it back.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Alias wrote: April 18th, 2021, 11:32 am
Sushan wrote: April 18th, 2021, 9:11 am
One is quantitative and the other one is qualitative. Yet, people have frequently argued what is more important, is it wealth or your honor (let's say 'fame' here).
I don't see how you substitute fame for honour. Though neither can be equated to, or compared with wealth, fame and honour are very different. You may acquire both fame and wealth at the cost of your honour, but once you have compromised honour, no amount of fame and wealth will bring it back.
fame is the state of being known or talked about by many people, especially on account of notable achievements.

honor is high respect; great esteem

So, if the fame has been earned in a good way, then it comes with honor too. So I think the two can be equated in some occasions. And both can be earned using gold.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Sculptor1 wrote: March 7th, 2021, 11:19 am Seems to me like an everyday gratuitous platitude.
Some people like fame some people do not. The most important thing about gold is that no matter if you like it or not it has exchange value. Fame is not like that in any sense.
Friedman is wrong about gold, and about fame. Gold's uses are legion. I imagine that these comments reflect his own personal covetousness for fame - not surprising for a man of such narcisism that he self-publishes his own books.
Quite a strong comment, yet I think that it is true. This author has gone after fame rather than looking for gold, by writing and self-publishing his book. If he wanted any approval for his book and it to be honored by the readers, then he would have gone to an editor or a publisher. But he has skipped that and I think he has simply aimed for fame. Quite a nice way to say it

– William James
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Sushan wrote: April 21st, 2021, 3:22 am
Sculptor1 wrote: March 7th, 2021, 11:19 am Seems to me like an everyday gratuitous platitude.
Quite a strong comment, yet I think that it is true. This author has gone after fame rather than looking for gold, by writing and self-publishing his book. If he wanted any approval for his book and it to be honored by the readers, then he would have gone to an editor or a publisher. But he has skipped that and I think he has simply aimed for fame. Quite a nice way to say it
I would think that it is almost universally true that all people who self publish, be that books, music or other media, have already tried the existing means of publishing and their offerings have been found wanting.
So for some reason the media has either no market, or where such markets exist, for say books, then no publisher thinks that the work in question is worthy of publishing.
From my way of thinking the most basic outline of the book is incoherent, and I would think that publishers felt the same way.

I do not know exactly how these books get chosen for consideration by this Forum, but I find the other choices of much the same calibre. Life is far too short to spend time reading self-published books (or shifting through such dross until you find the rare gem), whilst there are so many great works of philosophy, many of them way past copyright, so may be acquired for pin money.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Sculptor1 wrote: April 21st, 2021, 5:16 am
Sushan wrote: April 21st, 2021, 3:22 am
I would think that it is almost universally true that all people who self publish, be that books, music or other media, have already tried the existing means of publishing and their offerings have been found wanting.
So for some reason the media has either no market, or where such markets exist, for say books, then no publisher thinks that the work in question is worthy of publishing.
From my way of thinking the most basic outline of the book is incoherent, and I would think that publishers felt the same way.

I do not know exactly how these books get chosen for consideration by this Forum, but I find the other choices of much the same calibre. Life is far too short to spend time reading self-published books (or shifting through such dross until you find the rare gem), whilst there are so many great works of philosophy, many of them way past copyright, so may be acquired for pin money.
Me neither have no idea how this forum choose a book to be discussed in a particular month, yet I think that they have to be approved by the moderators and the books that they feel which are worth discussing are getting chosen to this forum. I do not think that they consider the fact the book being self-published because these days most authors choose self-publishing not purely because of their books are rejected by publishers, but for many other practical difficulties when you go to a publisher, and also because of the many options that you get for easy self-publishing these days.

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Count Lucanor wrote: March 7th, 2021, 1:55 pm There's an old Latin American saying: "crea fama y acuéstate a dormir". Create fame and go to sleep.
I have never heard of this quote, so I googled it. Here is what I got as the first search result.
Cría fama, y acuéstate a dormir. Translation: Create fame, and then go to bed, meaning once you have a reputation, you can't do much to change it (good or bad).
I cannot say that I agree with this explanation (if it is correct). As far as I believe it is far more hard to protect your reputation rather than building it for the first time. When you have a good reputation, you have to be careful of each and every of your acts, unless you do not care about your good name.

But from the practical scenarios we see that, if we have a bad reputation, then of course we can go to sleep because even you try hard, it is difficult to change that bad reputation. So it is easy to keep and you have nothing much left to do when you have a bad reputation.

So I think whoever said this wanted to highlight the gravity of having a bad reputation.

– William James
Alias

Post by Alias »

Sushan wrote: April 21st, 2021, 3:14 am fame is the state of being known or talked about by many people, especially on account of notable achievements.

That''s one definition; a superficial, or external one. The more personal aspect of honour is being true and faithful to one's beliefs, affiliations and obligations; being fair in your dealings with others and keeping your promises.
So, if the fame has been earned in a good way, then it comes with honor too.
It might. But nothing about fame itself suggests the manner and means of its acquisition. Think of all the famous names you can remember without effort. How many 'earned' their fame in 'a good way'?
So I think the two can be equated in some occasions.
It's a carefully chosen occasion - not an interchangeable definition.
And both can be earned using gold.
Absolutely not!!!
Buying it has never been a 'good way' to 'earn' fame. And do we know how the gold was acquired?

If you mix definitions, you'll confuse concepts.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Alias wrote: April 21st, 2021, 10:02 am
Sushan wrote: April 21st, 2021, 3:14 am fame is the state of being known or talked about by many people, especially on account of notable achievements.

That''s one definition; a superficial, or external one. The more personal aspect of honour is being true and faithful to one's beliefs, affiliations and obligations; being fair in your dealings with others and keeping your promises.
So, if the fame has been earned in a good way, then it comes with honor too.
It might. But nothing about fame itself suggests the manner and means of its acquisition. Think of all the famous names you can remember without effort. How many 'earned' their fame in 'a good way'?
So I think the two can be equated in some occasions.
It's a carefully chosen occasion - not an interchangeable definition.
And both can be earned using gold.
Absolutely not!!!
Buying it has never been a 'good way' to 'earn' fame. And do we know how the gold was acquired?

If you mix definitions, you'll confuse concepts.
Buying fame and honor may not be a good way to acquire it, yet it is a very much possible way to do that.

I know a person who helps his community spending a lot of money. So the people love and honor him very much and he has earned a good name. But the rumors say that what he has earned has come from drug dealing. But the people in his community does not care about that and I do not see that he has lost any fame or honor. I know that morally what he is doing is wrong. Yet he has quite a fame, honor, and a substantial amount of gold (money), and he is using that gold (money) to earn more fame.

– William James
Alias

Post by Alias »

Sushan wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 1:41 am
Buying fame and honor may not be a good way to acquire it, yet it is a very much possible way to do that.
Fame, yes. Honour, NO.
I know a person who helps his community spending a lot of money. So the people love and honor him very much and he has earned a good name.
That's not his honour; those are 'honors' awarded to him; mere trappings of external validation.
But the rumors say that what he has earned has come from drug dealing. But the people in his community does not care about that and I do not see that he has lost any fame or honor.
He may have gained fame, but he threw away his honour in the very first drug deal. He's trying to buy it back, and that's impossible. However, by doing good, he might begin to make amends and eventually redeem his honour.
But he would have to actually, physically go out and help the victims of his drug traffic - not just throw their money around.

You really don't see the difference between honour - integrity, constancy, fairness, veracity, faithfulness - and kudos?

Return to “The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream