Today in Violent Big Government Statism

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Re: Today in Violent Big Government Statism

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Steve3007 wrote: May 17th, 2021, 11:05 am So, I guess the purpose of this topic is a bit like a topic about unmarried bachelors in which posters are invited to cite examples of bachelors who are not married?
The purpose of this topic is to share recent news stories that you come across about instances of non-defensive violence committed by governments.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Here is an article I saw last night:

‘I’m scared’: AP obtains video of deadly arrest of Black man
Louisiana state troopers were captured on body camera video stunning, punching and dragging a Black man as he apologized for leading them on a high-speed chase -- footage of the man’s last moments alive that The Associated Press obtained after authorities refused to release it for two years.

“I’m your brother! I’m scared! I’m scared!” Ronald Greene can be heard telling the white troopers as the unarmed man is jolted repeatedly with a stun gun
Louisiana officials have rebuffed repeated calls to release footage and details about what caused the 49-year-old’s death. Troopers initially told Greene’s family he died on impact after crashing into a tree during the chase. Later, State Police released a one-page statement acknowledging only that Greene struggled with troopers and died on his way to the hospital.

Only now in the footage obtained by the AP from one trooper’s body camera can the public see for the first time some of what happened during the arrest.

The 46-minute clip shows one trooper wrestling Greene to the ground, putting him in a chokehold and punching him in the face while another can be heard calling him a “stupid motherf---—.”

Greene wails “I’m sorry!” as another trooper delivers another stun gun shock to his backside

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Robert66

Post by Robert66 »

Scott wrote: April 29th, 2021, 1:13 pm
It's not just for horror stories about police, but any violent actions done by a government or its agents, especially if done legally.
My government wants to jab me in the arm, not once but twice, with needles. And they want my consent for these violent acts. What should I do?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Robert66 wrote: May 22nd, 2021, 2:58 pm
Scott wrote: April 29th, 2021, 1:13 pm
It's not just for horror stories about police, but any violent actions done by a government or its agents, especially if done legally.
My government wants to jab me in the arm, not once but twice, with needles. And they want my consent for these violent acts. What should I do?
If it is voluntary/consensual, then I wouldn't consider it violent or an act of governance/statism, so in this case my suggestion is that you create a new topic on the forums for your question about what you "should" do, whatever that means.

Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

I stumbled upon this article from Forbes last night:

More People Were Arrested For Cannabis Last Year Than For All Violent Crimes Put Together, According To FBI Data

Emily Earlenbaugh of Forbes wrote:The data from the FBI’s report revealed that police arrested 545,602 people for cannabis related crimes in 2019.
Emily Earlenbaugh of Forbes wrote:A recent report from the ACLU looked at data from 2018, and found that black people were 3.6 times more likely to be arrested for cannabis possession than white people. This is despite the fact that both groups use cannabis at similar rates.

Steve3007

Post by Steve3007 »

Robert66 wrote:My government wants to jab me in the arm, not once but twice, with needles. And they want my consent for these violent acts. What should I do?
Where I live at least, the effort to get the population vaccinated is funded by taxation. In that sense, bearing in mind that taxation by big governments is violent robbery, the entire vaccination effort is an instance of non-defensive violence committed by government.

So here's my chosen instance of non-defensive violence committed by government:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/vacc ... 30176.html
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Earlier this week, Uganda's parliament passed an anti-gay legislation that criminalises anyone who identifies as LGBTQ. As per the law, violators may be awarded harsh penalties, including the death penalty for 'aggravated homosexuality' and life imprisonment for gay sex.

While more than 30 African countries, including Uganda, already prohibit same-sex relationships, Human Rights Watch reported that no other country penalises an individual for merely identifying as LGBTQ.

[...]

The 2023 Anti-Homosexuality Bill introduces the "aggravated homosexuality" provision, calling for the death penalty in certain circumstances, including for "serial offenders"...
Read full article
Attachments
364220346.jpg

JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Scott wrote: March 25th, 2023, 1:05 pm
Earlier this week, Uganda's parliament passed an anti-gay legislation that criminalises anyone who identifies as LGBTQ. As per the law, violators may be awarded harsh penalties, including the death penalty for 'aggravated homosexuality' and life imprisonment for gay sex.

While more than 30 African countries, including Uganda, already prohibit same-sex relationships, Human Rights Watch reported that no other country penalises an individual for merely identifying as LGBTQ.

[...]

The 2023 Anti-Homosexuality Bill introduces the "aggravated homosexuality" provision, calling for the death penalty in certain circumstances, including for "serial offenders"...
Read full article
I just read this example of extreme homophobic hatred, having read and wondered about the recent news item on transgender women in female athletics. While I am aware that there are issues of advantages of people who were biological male participating against females, and most transwomen are not athletes, it does seem like a statement of endorsement that transwomen aren't 'real women'.

So, I am left wondering while there are claims by politicians about tolerance and acceptance of people who identify as LGBTIQ+, there is so much opposition to such diversity. This is apparent in so many contexts globally, with so much conflict and the news item which you point to is the extreme end of a trend of backlash which is growing, especially in the area of sexuality.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

This story is from 2011, but it relates to Uganda's Parliament recently passing a new upgraded "Kill the Gays" bill, in which peaceful gay people are legally murdered by the government and its paid enforcers at taxpayer expense.

Zoe Williams wrote:Last Thursday, three men were hanged in Iran for the crime of lavat, sexual intercourse between two men. The case is considered extreme even by Iranian standards, because while the death penalty is in place for homosexuality, it is usually enforced only when there is a charge of assault or rape alongside it; the accusations in these three cases were of consensual sex.

[...]

For lesbian and gay people who live in one of the 82 countries where homosexuality is criminalised, the world is not getting better: it is getting significantly, demonstrably worse.

[Read Full Article]

---
Attachments
Two teenagers are publicly hanged under anti-gay laws in Mashhad, Iran.
Two teenagers are publicly hanged under anti-gay laws in Mashhad, Iran.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Scott wrote: March 29th, 2023, 2:07 pm This story is from 2011, but it relates to Uganda's Parliament recently passing a new upgraded "Kill the Gays" bill, in which peaceful gay people are legally murdered by the government and its paid enforcers at taxpayer expense.

Zoe Williams wrote:Last Thursday, three men were hanged in Iran for the crime of lavat, sexual intercourse between two men. The case is considered extreme even by Iranian standards, because while the death penalty is in place for homosexuality, it is usually enforced only when there is a charge of assault or rape alongside it; the accusations in these three cases were of consensual sex.

[...]

For lesbian and gay people who live in one of the 82 countries where homosexuality is criminalised, the world is not getting better: it is getting significantly, demonstrably worse.

[Read Full Article]

---
Worse? Was homosexuality previously legal in these 82 countries? Somehow I doubt it.
"As usual... it depends."
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

LuckyR wrote: March 29th, 2023, 5:13 pm

[...]

[Read Full Article]
Worse? Was homosexuality previously legal in these 82 countries? Somehow I doubt it.
You can see Zoe's argument and evidence to back up that statement of hers by reading the full article from which that statement is quoted:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/ ... inequality

Whether or not it was true in 2011 for all or most of the 82 countries, and whether or not it is true for the other 81 now, I think we can easily agree it is now utterly true for the gays in Uganda considering the bill that Uganda's Parliament just passed.

Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

A Louisville police officer let his dog attack a 14-year-old Black child who was not resisting

Insider wrote: The officer was leading his dog to search for a person suspected of a home invasion. After searching for several minutes, the officer saw the teenager lying on the ground, face down in the grass," the Justice Department wrote in its report. "Immediately after noticing the teen, the officer deployed his dog off-leash — without giving any warning — and ordered the dog to bite the teen at least seven times.

During the encounter, the teen remained prone and pleaded, "OK! OK! Help! Get the dog, please!" the report stated, as officers continued to stand over him and shout orders for about 30 seconds "while the dog gnawed on his arm."

"At one point, an officer shouted, 'Stop fighting my dog!' despite video showing the teen lying still with one arm behind his back and the other arm in the dog's mouth," according to the report.

The teen suffered severe injuries on his arm and back and was admitted to a children's hospital.

[Read Full Article]

Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

In Iran, it is illegal for women to not wear a hijab.

Two Iranian women arrested for not covering hair after man attacks them with yoghurt
BBC wrote: In the video, which went viral, two female customers are approached by the man, who begins talking to them.

He then takes what appears to be a tub of yoghurt from a shelf and angrily throws it over their heads.

Iran's judiciary said the two women have been detained for showing their hair, which is illegal in Iran.

[...]

Protests spread across the Islamic Republic in September following the death of Mahsa Amini, a 22-year-old woman detained by morality police in Tehran for allegedly wearing her hijab "improperly".

[Read Full Article]

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Scott wrote: March 29th, 2023, 11:45 pm A Louisville police officer let his dog attack a 14-year-old Black child who was not resisting

Insider wrote: The officer was leading his dog to search for a person suspected of a home invasion. After searching for several minutes, the officer saw the teenager lying on the ground, face down in the grass," the Justice Department wrote in its report. "Immediately after noticing the teen, the officer deployed his dog off-leash — without giving any warning — and ordered the dog to bite the teen at least seven times.

During the encounter, the teen remained prone and pleaded, "OK! OK! Help! Get the dog, please!" the report stated, as officers continued to stand over him and shout orders for about 30 seconds "while the dog gnawed on his arm."

"At one point, an officer shouted, 'Stop fighting my dog!' despite video showing the teen lying still with one arm behind his back and the other arm in the dog's mouth," according to the report.

The teen suffered severe injuries on his arm and back and was admitted to a children's hospital.

[Read Full Article]
Just to clarify, the police are representatives of the government when they enforce governmental laws according to governmental guidelines. Rogue cops acting outside of the above are just individuals acting badly (which no job description is immune to, even authors).
"As usual... it depends."
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

The cops chasing down and arresting pacifists for marijuana possession are acting within the law, even if they use dogs to do it. Over 500,000 arrests for cannabis alone are made each year in the USA alone.

The cops and other government agents chasing down and murdering gay people in Uganda are acting within the law.

You can't wage a violent expensive war on drugs or a violent expensive war on gayness without some extra collateral damage too, so I think it's wise and relevant to also mention instances of the allegedly unintended collateral damage that unavoidably occurs along with Uganda's legal war on gays, since you cannot wage something like a legal war gays without such collateral damage, since, as it is correctly said, no job is immune from it. Thus, it is to be considered when considering when ordering a job to be done that otherwise would be done (e.g. violent state-sponsored wars on non-violent consensual crimes like gay sex or marijuana possession).

Return to “Philosophy of Politics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream