The "Business" of Healthcare & Reproductive Rights

Use this forum to discuss the June 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Samavis89700
New Trial Member

The "Business" of Healthcare & Reproductive Rights

Post by Samavis89700 »

Although Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C did not discuss reproductive healthcare in her book, one question I thought of while reading her book was this: is for-profit healthcare conducive or detrimental to reproductive justice/rights, and why?
Nick_A

Re: The "Business" of Healthcare & Reproductive Rights

Post by Nick_A »

Samavis89700 wrote: June 6th, 2021, 8:27 pm Although Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C did not discuss reproductive healthcare in her book, one question I thought of while reading her book was this: is for-profit healthcare conducive or detrimental to reproductive justice/rights, and why?
Good point. Socialized medicine could force people to pay for baby killing. Keeping the government out would respect the choice to pay for baby killing.

Of course since your government knows best it is important to support the freedom to kill babies and have everyone pay for it as a public good. Just remember that your government supports the public good so who can be against it?
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
ReaderAisha2020

Post by ReaderAisha2020 »

The problem is that when money becomes the main goal it seems that people forget about morality, human rights and life. Do rights and justice go together with capitalism? I think they are opposites opposed
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

ReaderAisha2020 wrote: June 7th, 2021, 4:35 pm The problem is that when money becomes the main goal it seems that people forget about morality, human rights and life. Do rights and justice go together with capitalism? I think they are opposites opposed
First it was agreed that God is dead and now it is agreed that philosophy as the love of wisdom is dead. Money is all that is left to supply the need for "meaning." The manipulation of health care is a great source of money and far more important than who lives or dies.
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion . . . Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams
Rights and justice only become opposed when both God as the source of meaning and philosophy as the love of wisdom for society as a whole have died. Idolatry replaces God and indoctrination replaces wisdom. The problem isn't capitalism but human nature without the religious and philosophical influences. The result must be a form of statist slavery proving Man as a whole has become incapable of freedom so invites psychological and political slavery.
Man would like to be an egoist and cannot. This is the most striking characteristic of his wretchedness and the source of his greatness." Simone Weil....Gravity and Grace
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Nick_A wrote: June 7th, 2021, 11:32 am
Samavis89700 wrote: June 6th, 2021, 8:27 pm Although Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C did not discuss reproductive healthcare in her book, one question I thought of while reading her book was this: is for-profit healthcare conducive or detrimental to reproductive justice/rights, and why?
Good point. Socialized medicine could force people to pay for baby killing. Keeping the government out would respect the choice to pay for baby killing.

Of course since your government knows best it is important to support the freedom to kill babies and have everyone pay for it as a public good. Just remember that your government supports the public good so who can be against it?
What are your thoughts on paying for birth control, I assume you are all for it, since it reduces baby killing, right?
"As usual... it depends."
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

LuckyR wrote: June 8th, 2021, 2:56 am

What are your thoughts on paying for birth control, I assume you are all for it, since it reduces baby killing, right?
Since men and women are both responsible for making babies and it hasn't been decided if these unfortunates should be loved or killed, it makes sense to avoid the problem to begin with and have both sexes pay for birth control.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The same holds true with birth control.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Nick_A wrote: June 8th, 2021, 8:37 am

Since men and women are both responsible for making babies and it hasn't been decided if these unfortunates should be loved or killed, it makes sense to avoid the problem to begin with and have both sexes pay for birth control.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The same holds true with birth control.
Sounds logical to me, though rare among pro-lifers.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

LuckyR wrote: June 8th, 2021, 1:49 pm

I don't know what you mean by a pro-lifer I am a pro-lifer. This means that I respect life as a universal necessity and it is up to individuals to respect life and the balance of life from conception to death. Pro-choice in contrast believes that people are free to kill or cure depending on which way the wind is blowing. They avoid any serious contemplation on the universal purpose of life by leaving it up to government by laws to decide who lives or dies. They call this freedom pro-choice. Abortion and genocide follow the same pattern of avoiding the essential question of the meaning and purpose of life including human life and pass the buck to a government which understands even less so we end up with abortions and genocides justified by convenience and the old fashioned western slogan: "they deserved killing."

Be honest now: If humanity as a whole has lost the capacity for objective conscience and to feel respect for life, how can health care be anything but a business?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Nick_A wrote: June 8th, 2021, 3:38 pm
LuckyR wrote: June 8th, 2021, 1:49 pm

I don't know what you mean by a pro-lifer I am a pro-lifer. This means that I respect life as a universal necessity and it is up to individuals to respect life and the balance of life from conception to death. Pro-choice in contrast believes that people are free to kill or cure depending on which way the wind is blowing. They avoid any serious contemplation on the universal purpose of life by leaving it up to government by laws to decide who lives or dies. They call this freedom pro-choice. Abortion and genocide follow the same pattern of avoiding the essential question of the meaning and purpose of life including human life and pass the buck to a government which understands even less so we end up with abortions and genocides justified by convenience and the old fashioned western slogan: "they deserved killing."

Be honest now: If humanity as a whole has lost the capacity for objective conscience and to feel respect for life, how can health care be anything but a business?
Actually you don't have the power to define the thought processes of anyone other than yourself. Sorry.

What were you saying again?
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Post by Sushan »

Whether you have to pay or not for abortions (I would not just call it as baby killing because a fetus is not a baby), I believe that the mother has a right to decide whether to carry on with her pregnancy or not. Why should a mother be forced to bear an uunwanted pregnancy. One will argue that such an opinion will induce irresponsible behaviour. But that is something else that is to be discussed in a separate discussion.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Seemingly you suggest the point of having or not having money will be a good factor to control abortions (it is not the only birth control method). But then what about the females who are left with unwanted pregnancies simply because they do not have money? What if they are victims of sexual assaults? Is it fair to force them to carry the baby of the assailant?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
mystery
Favorite Philosopher: Mike Tyson

Post by mystery »

The cause of unwanted pregnancies is that sex is wanted (except in forced sex, and that is a very small percentage).

How it works is that a woman might get pregnant if she accepts sex with a man and does not ensure safety. She can and should reject if she does not want to be pregnant or has not ensured safety(birth control).

Instead, we have an abortion and emergency contraceptives. This together with classic birth control causes an untold amount of social damage.

- many sex partners and ladies may not be able to pair bond with a final mate if she wants to. The genetic material of each partner is imprinted, at some point pair bonding is no longer possible. This leads to a weaker partnership.

- lady can pick the best genetic partner without concern for a man's ability or willingness to provide. She knows she can abort or be funded by the government. This leads to a smaller number of men being shared by many women (the best men according to woman's biological choices) Leaving many men rejected until later in life when a lady is looking for a provider. (this really happens I know men in both groups).

Should free (tax-funded) health care pay for birth control. No, this is one of a small number of root issues of everything. No, instead the woman should reject until she is ready for a family and has secured a man she respects, admires, and will commit to her.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Sushan wrote: June 15th, 2021, 5:23 am

Seemingly you suggest the point of having or not having money will be a good factor to control abortions (it is not the only birth control method). But then what about the females who are left with unwanted pregnancies simply because they do not have money? What if they are victims of sexual assaults? Is it fair to force them to carry the baby of the assailant?
Good luck using the fairness argument discussing reproductive rights issues with a guy.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

LuckyR wrote: June 15th, 2021, 12:54 pm
Sushan wrote: June 15th, 2021, 5:23 am

Good luck using the fairness argument discussing reproductive rights issues with a guy.
Once the government recognizes baby killing for convenience as a legalized public good, money cannot be an obstacle. Who can deny a public good? Fork over the dough.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

ReaderAisha2020 wrote: June 7th, 2021, 4:35 pm The problem is that when money becomes the main goal it seems that people forget about morality, human rights and life. Do rights and justice go together with capitalism? I think they are opposites opposed
You bring up a crucial point about the potential conflict between capitalist motives and fundamental human rights and justice. The tension you've highlighted is at the heart of many contemporary debates.

When we consider reproductive rights, they are intrinsically linked with personal autonomy, gender equality, and access to healthcare. If healthcare becomes primarily a profit-driven endeavor, there's a genuine concern that access to crucial reproductive health services might be determined more by one's financial situation than by their actual medical needs. This could further exacerbate existing inequalities and disproportionately affect marginalized communities.

However, it's also worth considering the other side of the coin. Capitalism and free market competition, when appropriately regulated, can drive innovation, increase efficiency, and potentially reduce costs, benefiting the consumer. The challenge lies in striking a balance where profit motives don't override the essential human right to healthcare, especially concerning reproductive rights.

The broader question remains: how can we ensure that a capitalist healthcare system respects and upholds reproductive rights and justice? Can regulations, public awareness, and community advocacy make a difference in achieving this balance?

– William James

Return to “Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream