Do we really choose anything?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
RJG

Do we really choose anything?

Post by RJG »

Do we choose the thoughts that we use in choosing?

1. If no, then do we really choose anything?
2. If yes, then do we choose the thoughts that we use in choosing the thoughts that we use in choosing?

---- 2A. If no, then do we really choose anything?
---- 2B. If yes, then do we choose the thoughts that we use in choosing the thoughts that we use in choosing the thoughts we use in choosing?

-------- 2Ba. If no, then do we really choose anything?
-------- 2Bb. If yes, then...

ANSWER: No, choosing anything is logically impossible.

If free-will is the ability to choose, then free-will is logically impossible.
Last edited by RJG on January 13th, 2022, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sculptor1

Re: Do we really choose anything?

Post by Sculptor1 »

Yes we do, but you have to know who is the "we" and where is it that the volition and desires that lead to choices are made.

Like Peter O'Tool said We can do what we wish but we cannot wish what we wish.
Schoppenhaer : We do as we will, but we cannot will as we will.
Alan Masterman

Post by Alan Masterman »

Once I thought I was wrong. But it turned out I was mistaken.
RJG

Post by RJG »

Alan Masterman wrote: January 13th, 2022, 2:51 pm Once I thought I was wrong. But it turned out I was mistaken.
Lol :D
Thomyum2
Favorite Philosopher: Robert Pirsig + William James

Post by Thomyum2 »

RJG wrote: January 13th, 2022, 8:46 am Do we choose the thoughts that we use in choosing?

2. If yes, then do we choose the thoughts that we use in choosing the thoughts that we use in choosing?

---- 2A. If no, then do we really choose anything?
---- 2B. If yes, then do we choose the thoughts that we use in choosing the thoughts that we use in choosing the thoughts we use in choosing?

-------- 2Ba. If no, then do we really choose anything?
-------- 2Bb. If yes, then...

ANSWER: No, choosing anything is logically impossible.

If free-will is the ability to choose, then free-will is logically impossible.
To make sense out your argument one way or the other, I think I'd need to ask two clarifying questions:

1) How are you defining 'choose', i.e. what exactly is meant by saying that we 'choose' something?
2) What is the difference between 'choosing' something and 'really choosing' something? In practice, how could we distinguish between these two things?
“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
— Epictetus
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:Do we choose the thoughts that we use in choosing? If no, then do we really choose anything?
Thomyum2 wrote:To make sense out your argument one way or the other, I think I'd need to ask two clarifying questions:

1) How are you defining 'choose', i.e. what exactly is meant by saying that we 'choose' something?
2) What is the difference between 'choosing' something and 'really choosing' something? In practice, how could we distinguish between these two things?
1. The meaning of "choose" is the conventional everyday use and understanding of the word.
2. The meaning/question of "really choosing" is to bring awareness on whether the act of choosing actually happens (i.e. is it "real"), or is it merely just an illusion (i.e. "not real") that we humans have been deluded into believing.
Thomyum2

Post by Thomyum2 »

RJG wrote: January 13th, 2022, 4:53 pm
RJG wrote:Do we choose the thoughts that we use in choosing? If no, then do we really choose anything?
Thomyum2 wrote:To make sense out your argument one way or the other, I think I'd need to ask two clarifying questions:

1. The meaning of "choose" is the conventional everyday use and understanding of the word.
2. The meaning/question of "really choosing" is to bring awareness on whether the act of choosing actually happens (i.e. is it "real"), or is it merely just an illusion (i.e. "not real") that we humans have been deluded into believing.
My understanding of the 'conventional everyday use of "choose" is to make a selection from or decide upon one among multiple possible alternatives - is that fair?

But I'm afraid you haven't answered the second question for me. How could we tell if a choice that was made was 'real' or not? If a person tells us they are choosing something, what criteria could we use to determine if they were 'really' choosing or to demonstrate that they were just experiencing the illusion that they were choosing? What would a 'real' act of choosing look like that would differentiate it from a choosing that is just a belief?
“We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.”
— Epictetus
Alan Masterman

Post by Alan Masterman »

Interesting point. Anybody who - like myself - has been divorced, will understand that one of the great culture shocks of divorce comes with realising that you have to start thinking for yourself - the instution of marriage is no longer making your decisions for you.
RJG

Post by RJG »

RJG wrote:1. The meaning of "choose" is the conventional everyday use and understanding of the word.
Thomyum2 wrote:My understanding of the 'conventional everyday use of "choose" is to make a selection from or decide upon one among multiple possible alternatives - is that fair?
Yes, I think that is a fair understanding.

Thomyum2 wrote:But I'm afraid you haven't answered the second question for me. How could we tell if a choice that was made was 'real' or not? If a person tells us they are choosing something, what criteria could we use to determine if they were 'really' choosing or to demonstrate that they were just experiencing the illusion that they were choosing? What would a 'real' act of choosing look like that would differentiate it from a choosing that is just a belief?
The difference is whether we are "given" our choice, or if we truly did as you say "make a selection from or decide upon one among multiple possible alternatives". To select or decide anything requires thought (decision making). And if we can't choose the thoughts that are used in decision making, then did we really decide anything?

For example, if the thoughts in decision making are "given" to us, then we certainly did not really "choose" them, …right? And if we are given the thoughts to select item A as opposed to item B, or item C, then did we "really choose" item A? …or was this choice "given" to us (by the thoughts that we never chose!)?

If we don't choose the thoughts that we use in choosing, then we don't really choose anything!

Alan Masterman wrote:...the institution of marriage is no longer making your decisions for you.
In actuality/reality, none of us can logically make our own decisions. ...they are always "given" to us.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

RJG wrote: January 13th, 2022, 8:46 am If free-will is the ability to choose, then free-will is logically impossible.
...except that we have it. To put it another way, we have the sense impression that we have it.

You can't have it both ways. Information used to build our models of the world seems to come to us through sense impressions (unless maybe you want to consider a truly divine inspiration or some such thing). So, if I have a sense impression that I choose to have coffee instead of beer or milk, why is this impression subject to being labelled an illusion, while the impression that I see cause and effect is carved in stone? Why is the model of free will (that works well within my mind) up for grabs while the model of cause and effect (which seems to work well outside my mind) is unassailable?

It seems clear enough that neither model perfectly matches reality, which includes my mind and whatever else is outside it. It also seems clear that I don't live in a model that people created, but in actual messy reality. It is very unlikely, rounding down to impossible, that finite and imperfect people could create a model that perfectly matched reality. We should prefer to say both models are wrong.
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
Thomyum2

Post by Thomyum2 »

RJG wrote: January 13th, 2022, 6:33 pm
Thomyum2 wrote:But I'm afraid you haven't answered the second question for me. How could we tell if a choice that was made was 'real' or not? If a person tells us they are choosing something, what criteria could we use to determine if they were 'really' choosing or to demonstrate that they were just experiencing the illusion that they were choosing? What would a 'real' act of choosing look like that would differentiate it from a choosing that is just a belief?
The difference is whether we are "given" our choice, or if we truly did as you say "make a selection from or decide upon one among multiple possible alternatives".
Well, you still haven't answered the question for me, you've just substituted new wording here by saying 'we are "given" our choice' for your original wording that a choice is "not real" or is "just an illusion". I'm asking what is the objective difference between these two. Normally we differentiate between something that is real and something that is not real by some concrete means of demonstration. For example, a magician makes a card disappear - we know this is an illusion because we can learn the method by which the magician accomplishes this whereby the card did not actually disappear but just appeared to because of the technique that was used. So how would we determine whether a person who claims to be making a choice is really doing it or not? In what way would a 'real' choice show itself that an 'unreal' choice would not?

RJG wrote: January 13th, 2022, 6:33 pm To select or decide anything requires thought (decision making). And if we can't choose the thoughts that are used in decision making, then did we really decide anything?

For example, if the thoughts in decision making are "given" to us, then we certainly did not really "choose" them, …right? And if we are given the thoughts to select item A as opposed to item B, or item C, then did we "really choose" item A? …or was this choice "given" to us (by the thoughts that we never chose!)?

If we don't choose the thoughts that we use in choosing, then we don't really choose anything!
I don't agree that thoughts are required in order to choose. Thinking and choosing are two different things and neither depends on the other. By the definition that you agreed with, that a choice is a selection made when multiple possible options are available - thoughts aren't any part of this definition. There are certainly examples to be found of people making choices without thought. Animals choose without thoughts. Even inanimate objects incapable of thought can be said to choose: water selects the path of least resistance, even if other paths are available to it, no? What makes these choices not 'real'?
— Epictetus
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

RJG wrote: January 13th, 2022, 6:33 pm
RJG wrote:1. The meaning of "choose" is the conventional everyday use and understanding of the word.
Thomyum2 wrote:My understanding of the 'conventional everyday use of "choose" is to make a selection from or decide upon one among multiple possible alternatives - is that fair?
Yes, I think that is a fair understanding.

The difference is whether we are "given" our choice, or if we truly did as you say "make a selection from or decide upon one among multiple possible alternatives". To select or decide anything requires thought (decision making). And if we can't choose the thoughts that are used in decision making, then did we really decide anything?

Alan Masterman wrote:...the institution of marriage is no longer making your decisions for you.
In actuality/reality, none of us can logically make our own decisions. ...they are always "given" to us.
Given? Given to us by whom? Do you feel your thoughts are given to you?
"As usual... it depends."
stevie

Post by stevie »

RJG wrote: January 13th, 2022, 4:53 pm

Don't know what the "we" stands for but I can express how it appears to me: Some thoughts just pop up and some need activation energy (effort). Of those that pop up I pay attention to some but don't pay attention to others. I don't experience paying attention or not as "choosing" because I am associating "thinking about" with "choosing" and I don't 'think about' a thought before I pay attention or not because the "thinking about" happened long before when generally thinking about thoughts worth to be paid attention to and not worth to be paid attention to.
Of the thoughts that need activation energy (effort) those are not chosen because there is no alternative to them because they are based on intention. So first comes intention to think and then the thought is constructed.

As to "really choosing" (after having stated that I am associating "thinking about" with "choosing"): Since I can neither find grounds for "real" nor grounds for "illusion" I've chosen to suspend judgement as to whether "real" or "illusion".
mankind ... must act and reason and believe; though they are not able, by their most diligent enquiry, to satisfy themselves concerning the foundation of these operations, or to remove the objections, which may be raised against them [Hume]
psyreporter

Post by psyreporter »

Is a thought to be perceived in a retro-perspective that requires a causal origin or is the mere potential of a thought by itself already evidence of free will?

RJG wrote: January 13th, 2022, 8:46 am Do we choose the thoughts that we use in choosing?

ANSWER: the thought as potential in the face of an external world implies that a factor that can be indicated as 'free will' is necessarily applicable. If free will would not be applicable, then what underlays the thought as potential would need to be valued (predetermined), which is absurd.

My footnote provides an argument for why it would be absurd: “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.

I just read the following about William James's perspective on free will. William James is the "father of American psychology" which explains that he has a perspective on free will relative to psychology.

William James developed his two-stage model of free will. In his model, he tries to explain how it is people come to the making of a decision and what factors are involved in it. He firstly defines our basic ability to choose as free will. Then he specifies our two factors as chance and choice. "James's two-stage model effectively separates chance (the in-deterministic free element) from choice (an arguably determinate decision that follows causally from one's character, values, and especially feelings and desires at the moment of decision)."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_James#Free_will

His perspective may be valid and it would imply that a 'choice' can be considered predetermined from a psychology perspective, however, the potential for thought would involve something of which it can be said that it is not deterministic which would add the quality free will to a choice.
PsyReporter.com | “If life were to be good as it was, there would be no reason to exist.”
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

I think the misunderstanding inherent in this question follows from the (spurious?) assumption that "we" are, mentally speaking, solely our conscious mind, and not all of our mind.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “Epistemology and Metaphysics”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream