Philosophy

Chat about anything your heart desires here, just be civil. Factual or scientific questions about philosophy go here (e.g. "When was Socrates born?"), and so most homework help questions belong here. Note, posts in the off-topic section will not increase new members post counts. This includes the introductions and feedback sections.
Wizard22

Philosophy

Post by Wizard22 »

I pose to you all three "simple" questions:

1. What is the Meaning of Life?

2. Does God Exist (and How)?

3. What is the Nature of Reality?
Wizard22

Re: Philosophy

Post by Wizard22 »

Sy Borg wrote: July 16th, 2022, 11:02 pmMeaning is a justification for life's travails, a sense that the positives outweigh the negatives.

When I was young I remember asking people about the meaning of life. The answer at that time was invariably, to have children. While being to unassertive to openly question this, it never satisfied. So what was the point of the children's' lives? To have more children. At that time I did not know the concept of a Ponzi scheme. It reminded me of the explanation about what came before the Big Bang - nothing, they would say. Hawking famously said that it was like trying to say what's north of the north pole. That postmodern reply didn't satisfy my modernist mind either because what's north of the north pole is spacetime, which certainly does exist, even if we don't much care about it.

I digress. The meaning of life has been a concern of humanity's for millennia. And, as per the above, the notion even occurs to children. It seems odd that you ask about it, as though wondering about the meaning of life was something peculiar.

For the record, I liked Angelo Cannata's comment: 'I think the solution to this is just to admit: admit our limits, our preconceptions, our inability to be pure, free from biases.'

That appears to be the root of postmodernism - to remind modernists that they were no more gatekeepers of The Truth than theists, to seriously consider our limitations. As usual, some got carried away.
I'm going to borrow this reply from the Postmodern thread; I hope you don't mind.

In other iterations of this topic, I tend to get that Redundant type of answer. Aspiring philosophers and thinkers, on these forums, tell me "The Meaning of Life is...Life!" Then I respond, "It's that simple?" They say, "Yes of course". Like Sy Borg, I'm not satisfied. The "Meaning" of a word or thing, is not the same thing. The meaning of a dog is not "dog". The meaning of a cat is not "cat". People need to say and think more. Explain and describe the thing. Dogs are very diverse, different sizes, weights, furs, colors, snouts, ears, functions, behaviors, compulsions, etc. The better the Answer, the more people agree and flock to higher wisdom.

When it comes to the Meaning of Life, the same principle applies. A Greatest Answer is required. A response that stuns, captivates, holds attention, and gravitates all people to it. It needs to be a Masterpiece.

If a person can do that, then to me, that is when we're starting to do Philosophy. That's when we begin to philosophize.
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Wizard22 wrote: July 17th, 2022, 3:29 am
Sy Borg wrote: July 16th, 2022, 11:02 pmMeaning is a justification for life's travails, a sense that the positives outweigh the negatives.

When I was young I remember asking people about the meaning of life. The answer at that time was invariably, to have children. While being to unassertive to openly question this, it never satisfied. So what was the point of the children's' lives? To have more children. At that time I did not know the concept of a Ponzi scheme. It reminded me of the explanation about what came before the Big Bang - nothing, they would say. Hawking famously said that it was like trying to say what's north of the north pole. That postmodern reply didn't satisfy my modernist mind either because what's north of the north pole is spacetime, which certainly does exist, even if we don't much care about it.

I digress. The meaning of life has been a concern of humanity's for millennia. And, as per the above, the notion even occurs to children. It seems odd that you ask about it, as though wondering about the meaning of life was something peculiar.

For the record, I liked Angelo Cannata's comment: 'I think the solution to this is just to admit: admit our limits, our preconceptions, our inability to be pure, free from biases.'

That appears to be the root of postmodernism - to remind modernists that they were no more gatekeepers of The Truth than theists, to seriously consider our limitations. As usual, some got carried away.
I'm going to borrow this reply from the Postmodern thread; I hope you don't mind.

In other iterations of this topic, I tend to get that Redundant type of answer. Aspiring philosophers and thinkers, on these forums, tell me "The Meaning of Life is...Life!" Then I respond, "It's that simple?" They say, "Yes of course". Like Sy Borg, I'm not satisfied. The "Meaning" of a word or thing, is not the same thing. The meaning of a dog is not "dog". The meaning of a cat is not "cat". People need to say and think more. Explain and describe the thing. Dogs are very diverse, different sizes, weights, furs, colors, snouts, ears, functions, behaviors, compulsions, etc. The better the Answer, the more people agree and flock to higher wisdom.

When it comes to the Meaning of Life, the same principle applies. A Greatest Answer is required. A response that stuns, captivates, holds attention, and gravitates all people to it. It needs to be a Masterpiece.

If a person can do that, then to me, that is when we're starting to do Philosophy. That's when we begin to philosophize.
Trouble is, one person's masterpiece is another's hogwash. We agree that self-referential ideas about the meaning of life do not satisfy. (BTW, I know the meaning of dogs - to be awesome!)

Seriously, why should the meaning of life be about what humans do? We are the most mentally sophisticated brings on Earth so far. Thus, it's likely that more mentally sophisticated beings will follow us. Development need not stop with them either. So it's turtles all the way up as well as down.

But the end game doesn't actually concern most people, whether they admit it or not. It's about a sense of meaning now, and in the short/medium term. For me, Camus provides the masterpiece, but some would no doubt think it hogwash :)
I leave Sisyphus at the foot of the mountain. One always finds one's burden again. But Sisyphus teaches the higher fidelity that negates the gods and raises rocks. He too concludes that all is well. This universe henceforth without a master seems to him neither sterile nor futile. Each atom of that stone, each mineral flake of that night-filled mountain, in itself, forms a world. The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Response to Sy Borg (opc forum)

I advocate for an Objective analysis of Meaning of Life. Life is Biological. If a man's life is meaningful, then so too is an animal's, so too is a dog's, an alligator's, a zebra's, a turtle's, etc. Subjectivity is a main problem, addressing this question. A Nihilist believes, "because *MY* life has no meaning, then nobody else's has meaning either" or worse, that "all life has no meaning!!!" So Meaning of Life should not be judged according to the absolute Negative, to Annihilation. Why does the Nihilist make such a big fuss? Because s/he is completely Demoralized, Hopeless, Directionless, without a Goal, without a Purpose, etc.

Yet, Nihilism is important in the sense, that sometimes you need to stare into Darkness, before you seek-out the Light, so-to-speak. After you see the Meaning in nothingness, then you can begin to appreciate the Meaning in everythingness.

The Meaning of Life can be answered more pragmatically too... some great men in human history have led millions of other men, whole nations, to Victory. Sometimes this means war, take it for what you will. Great thinkers, scientists, philosophers...great athletes, these ones are most convincing about a "Meaning of Life", or worthwhile Purpose. Most of humanity aspires to greatness, to Heroes and Legends.

Why is Alexander the Great heralded for so many millenniums beyond his death? How about Jesus Christ? Plato? Take your pick.

In some examples, a Meaningful Life, a Purposeful Life, is more obvious than everybody else who settles for less, not to say that a Common or Average life is without meaning...but certainly lesser, no?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Wizard, if we look at societies in terms of their memetic development over time, then we see that the "greats" are at the leading edge, but their efforts would mean nothing without the minions beneath them (ostensibly leading pointless lives), not to mention the many other organisms that make human life possible.

I think of "staring into the Darkness" as cutting the ego down to size. You hit the wall and no longer care, at which point everything starts getting better, if you let it.

We are ultimately part of a planet's journey from being a volcanic hell to today (so far), which is a mightily impressive achievement. We life forms are part of that, so we can feel pleased with ourselves, having struggled to this level of sophistication from mindless single-celled organisms over a few billion years.

Many of us anonymous types will disappear into the amorphous past soon after death, without the grand funerals, monuments, historical accounts and public mourning over Those That Matter - who are quite often rather ruthless, dishonest and destructive characters that we would not want to emulate.

Given the forum's current fascination with postmodernism, I'll go postmodern on this one and say that average lives are no less meaningful than those of VIPs. The differences between humans are enormously exaggerated due to anthropocentrism. Humans don't judge other humans against the rest of the environment, only against one another. This is efficacious, but primitive, thinking.

Humans have the capacity to see each other (and other life forms) as they really are - extraordinary beings of incredible complexity on an exceptional planet. They are miracles of nature with a one-in-trillions chance of existing. While our relativistic approach is practical (no point rewarding a thief for being an "extraordinary being") it's ontologically wrong. That's why people "get all cosmic" at death - they stop seeing reality in practical terms, because such practicalities are no longer applicable, and start perceiving their reality in a more ontically accurate way.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

I believe the "extraordinary beings of incredible complexity on an exceptional planet" is a Projection of your own beliefs, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But people need to have Realistic expectations of the "little creatures". While, yes, animals are capable of a great deal of achievement, or work, it takes the Shepherd to bring this out of them. The Nurture v. Nature argument, requires a deeper look at the 'Nurturer' himself, the Cultivator, the Gardener, the Farmer, the Collector, etc. This immediately goes to Humanity via Education. Some teachers are greater than others. Some teachers can bring out the fullest 'potential' of students and disciples, while others, most, cannot by comparison. These are the 'exceptional' ones you mention.

Perhaps that is why history separates the wheat from the chaff, and raises them up as "Philosophers" compared to 'regular' Professors, Mentors, Teachers, and Educators. Wisdom does tend to concentrate, exponentially, in some few rare individuals. Perhaps many are overlooked and forgotten, Authors undiscovered by History, but that's another matter really.

When I talk about "Meaning", there is much throughout all other areas, professions, and expertise as well. Whether it be great Athleticism, Scientific Discovery, Space Exploration, etc. it becomes evident, to me, that some lives and pursuits are much more valuable & "meaningful" than others. There is a great deal of Apathy and even Disdain, among the commonplace, to live simple lives in Hedonism and Drug-abuse. While that may not be Meaningful per se, the liberals and hedonists tend to excuse such addictions and vices, consuming as they are, as "meaningful to them", as-if Subjectivity rules-out the option that a Common man or woman, justifies such lives of Apathy and "not trying".

How much of Humanity is "not trying", right now?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

I believe that the "Apathy and even Disdain, among the commonplace, to live simple lives in Hedonism and Drug-abuse" of a projection of your own beliefs. Specifically, the view reflects unquestioning judgement of others and dedication to the "Protestant work ethic", as if high productivity is always good. This approach worked for societies for a long time, helping them remain competitive against others.

Sometimes, however, the best thing a person can do is get out of the way of more driven or skilled people, to let them do what they do well. The difference is that one approach seeks wealth, power and self-aggrandisation, the other seeks harmony and overall effectiveness.

With automation and outsourcing, the services of most people now are simply not required. They are made redundant and removed from the work force. That does not make them objectively lesser than those who have been retained. As stated, many high achievers are destructive and selfish.

Humanity does not need to work harder. It would be more sustainable for people to work less, to settle down, but competition will ensure that won't happen.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

I disagree, Humanity needs to get off the couch, put down the heroine needles, put down the crack rocks, put down the meth, get off its fat butt, and get to work.

We have massive spaceships to build. We have Deep Space to explore. We have foreign Solar Systems to colonize and conquer.

Wasting life, pissing it down the drain, is the entirely wrong attitude to have going forward.

Why waste your life, when you have a new Choice, now?
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Given that a minuscule proportion of people use "heroine needles" *, crack rocks and meth, you appear to be speaking to about 0.01% of the world's population. Will they see yourProtestant work ethic as The Ultimate Truth, or will they realise you are parrotting your preferred media organisations?

No, "we" are not building spaceships. "We" are not exploring deep space. And we certainly won't be getting anywhere near other solar systems.

A few companies and governmental space agencies are doing marvellous work in space, but those achievements are unrelated to us, and even more unrelated to drug use by young people rendered redundant by offshoring, outsourcing and automation.

* Heroine needles - when one aggravates brave female warriors?
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Wizard22 wrote: July 26th, 2022, 4:02 am I disagree, Humanity needs to get off the couch, put down the heroine needles, put down the crack rocks, put down the meth, get off its fat butt, and get to work.

We have massive spaceships to build. We have Deep Space to explore. We have foreign Solar Systems to colonize and conquer.

Wasting life, pissing it down the drain, is the entirely wrong attitude to have going forward.

Why waste your life, when you have a new Choice, now?
I hate to break it to you but if all drug addicts quit tomorrow, the brainpower freed up would get us zero percent closer to space travel.

Or to put it another way, why are there so many homeless encampments when businesses can't get enough minimally skilled workers to keep up with demand?
"As usual... it depends."
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Sy Borg wrote: July 26th, 2022, 9:06 pm Given that a minuscule proportion of people use "heroine needles" *, crack rocks and meth, you appear to be speaking to about 0.01% of the world's population. Will they see yourProtestant work ethic as The Ultimate Truth, or will they realise you are parrotting your preferred media organisations?

No, "we" are not building spaceships. "We" are not exploring deep space. And we certainly won't be getting anywhere near other solar systems.

A few companies and governmental space agencies are doing marvellous work in space, but those achievements are unrelated to us, and even more unrelated to drug use by young people rendered redundant by offshoring, outsourcing and automation.

I disagree fundamentally.

Your defense of drug-addiction is noted. However, they do waste their lives. And they will admit that their lives are "Meaningless". That's their Admission, so you can debate with them why or how that is. But to most people, it's common sense. Hedonism is not enough, for a 'Meaningful' life. There's more to Life than this.

And on the next point, those who get in the way of true, genuine Human progress, will simply be stepped-over. Therefore, we WILL indeed build rocketships and spacecraft, we WILL explore the cosmos, we WILL colonize unknown solar systems.

Ask yourself, why are *you* so against this?? Is it because, by comparison, you fear that your life would come up short to such a Meaning or Purpose?
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

LuckyR wrote: July 27th, 2022, 1:22 pmI hate to break it to you but if all drug addicts quit tomorrow, the brainpower freed up would get us zero percent closer to space travel.

Or to put it another way, why are there so many homeless encampments when businesses can't get enough minimally skilled workers to keep up with demand?
The point is, that they shouldn't waste their lives to begin with...not how meaningful it is to recover and reject that lifestyle, which it is, meaningful to do so.
LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

Wizard22 wrote: July 29th, 2022, 3:42 am
LuckyR wrote: July 27th, 2022, 1:22 pmI hate to break it to you but if all drug addicts quit tomorrow, the brainpower freed up would get us zero percent closer to space travel.

The point is, that they shouldn't waste their lives to begin with...not how meaningful it is to recover and reject that lifestyle, which it is, meaningful to do so.
We're in agreement that drug addiction is a bad thing. My point is that it generally is a symptom not the cause of a wasted life's potential.
"As usual... it depends."
Sy Borg
Site Admin

Post by Sy Borg »

Wizard22 wrote: July 29th, 2022, 3:40 am
Sy Borg wrote: July 26th, 2022, 9:06 pm Given that a minuscule proportion of people use "heroine needles" *, crack rocks and meth, you appear to be speaking to about 0.01% of the world's population. Will they see yourProtestant work ethic as The Ultimate Truth, or will they realise you are parrotting your preferred media organisations?

I disagree fundamentally.

Your defense of drug-addiction is noted. However, they do waste their lives. And they will admit that their lives are "Meaningless". That's their Admission, so you can debate with them why or how that is. But to most people, it's common sense. Hedonism is not enough, for a 'Meaningful' life. There's more to Life than this.

And on the next point, those who get in the way of true, genuine Human progress, will simply be stepped-over. Therefore, we WILL indeed build rocketships and spacecraft, we WILL explore the cosmos, we WILL colonize unknown solar systems.

Ask yourself, why are *you* so against this?? Is it because, by comparison, you fear that your life would come up short to such a Meaning or Purpose?
You are wrong on every count.

To start, I did not defend drug addiction but pointed out that those addicted to heroin, crack and meth are a tiny minority. Simply, your claim that I was defending drug addiction was a lie designed to denigrate me. I expect that on Facebook, but such misrepresentations have no place on philosophy forums.

Throughout history, addiction to dangerous drugs has been rife in almost all societies. Alcohol is perhaps the very most dangerous of common drugs, and its carcinogenic properties are only now starting to be understood. So, throughout history societies have been designed, lead and controlled by drug addicts, usually alcohol. Yet societies have still grown and developed enormously, and that includes space exploration. Many of the great philosophers were addicted to alcohol or cocaine. So, no, a tiny proportion of lost souls numbing their pain with narcotics is not destroying society. Overpopulation, overconsumption, inequality and lack of opportunity are eroding societies.

You are also wrong about space. If "we" are going into space, as you claim, please let me know the date that you personally take off. Have you booked a spot on Mars with Elon? It's a not "we". "They" - not "we" - as in a select few very, very rich people - are going into space (for short periods). "We", on the other hand, are not going anywhere.

Humans are not made for space, only capable of survive on a tiny sliver of a single planet's surface. The rest is off limits, aside from "bubbles" of habitability like the ISS.

Machines will explore various parts of the solar system, but humans are not made for space travel. The idea of sending humans to exoplanets is absurd, pure science fiction. Humans will almost certainly never settle on Mars or elsewhere, aside from (maybe) limited stays on Moon bases. Gravity. Radiation. Water. Toxins. Extreme heat and cold. Space is too hostile to life, but machines can handle the conditions. As they say, the Earth is all we have and there is no Planet B.

Science fiction has a lot to answer for, in raising unrealistic expectations about the future.
Wizard22

Post by Wizard22 »

Sy Borg wrote: July 29th, 2022, 3:57 pmYou are wrong on every count.

To start, I did not defend drug addiction but pointed out that those addicted to heroin, crack and meth are a tiny minority. Simply, your claim that I was defending drug addiction was a lie designed to denigrate me. I expect that on Facebook, but such misrepresentations have no place on philosophy forums.
You said that drug addicts would react to my position as propaganda, "parroting preferred media organizations", or that I am offering some "Ultimate Truth".

It's not *ME* who predominantly claims that a drug-abused and addicted life is meaningless. It's *THEM* who admit such. They've admitted it to me, throughout life. And it's a common sense position. It's a waste of life. They know it. That's why addicts will admit that they are 'Addicted'. That's what 'Addiction' is, and drug "abuse".

Sy Borg wrote: July 29th, 2022, 3:57 pmThroughout history, addiction to dangerous drugs has been rife in almost all societies. Alcohol is perhaps the very most dangerous of common drugs, and its carcinogenic properties are only now starting to be understood. So, throughout history societies have been designed, lead and controlled by drug addicts, usually alcohol. Yet societies have still grown and developed enormously, and that includes space exploration. Many of the great philosophers were addicted to alcohol or cocaine. So, no, a tiny proportion of lost souls numbing their pain with narcotics is not destroying society. Overpopulation, overconsumption, inequality and lack of opportunity are eroding societies.
And so, many societies squander Meaning of Life, by extension from your own analysis.

Sy Borg wrote: July 29th, 2022, 3:57 pmYou are also wrong about space. If "we" are going into space, as you claim, please let me know the date that you personally take off. Have you booked a spot on Mars with Elon? It's a not "we". "They" - not "we" - as in a select few very, very rich people - are going into space (for short periods). "We", on the other hand, are not going anywhere.

Humans are not made for space, only capable of survive on a tiny sliver of a single planet's surface. The rest is off limits, aside from "bubbles" of habitability like the ISS.

Machines will explore various parts of the solar system, but humans are not made for space travel. The idea of sending humans to exoplanets is absurd, pure science fiction. Humans will almost certainly never settle on Mars or elsewhere, aside from (maybe) limited stays on Moon bases. Gravity. Radiation. Water. Toxins. Extreme heat and cold. Space is too hostile to life, but machines can handle the conditions. As they say, the Earth is all we have and there is no Planet B.

Science fiction has a lot to answer for, in raising unrealistic expectations about the future.
I think you underestimate the coming decades and centuries. However, admittedly, a lot of motivation and inspiration is required to strongly push the masses and upcoming generations, toward that end.

This relates to Meaning of Life, because without such goals and ideals, as mentioned, societies and people tend to waste their lives on simple hedonistic pursuits. The masses need to be shaped, because without such leadership, they tend to waste Life completely. In this way, Meaning of Life comes from above, from the upper classes passed down to the middle and lower classes.

Return to “Philosophers' Lounge”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream