What Makes Art Therapy?

Use this forum to have philosophical discussions about aesthetics and art. What is art? What is beauty? What makes art good? You can also use this forum to discuss philosophy in the arts, namely to discuss the philosophical points in any particular movie, TV show, book or story.
JackDaydream

What Makes Art Therapy?

Post by JackDaydream »

This thread is intended for any who are interested in the therapeutic value of visual art, music and all other forms of artistic expression. It can also be asked, can writing about philosophy be therapeutic?

My own angle is that art and English were always my favourite subjects at school, as a means of expression. I do continue to make art as an adult and many don't do any art beyond adolescence. I did begin art therapy training, and, unfortunately, due to personal circumstances, did not finish the course. Art therapy is a profession, but therapeutic use of art can be experienced by all. It can be done alone, in a group, or in the presence of a facilitator or therapist.

One of the biggest difficulties which I find in participation in art therapy activities is that I do still care about the quality of the art which I am making. This goes beyond the process of artistic expression, and it is complex, because art is about aesthetics. Also, use of the arts can be about enjoying others' creative work. For example, I don't make music but find listening to music to be essential in my emotional life. What role do you feel that the arts have in your emotional life? Does art have transformational power?
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Re: What Makes Art Therapy?

Post by Pattern-chaser »

JackDaydream wrote: September 21st, 2022, 8:21 am This thread is intended for any who are interested in the therapeutic value of visual art, music and all other forms of artistic expression. It can also be asked, can writing about philosophy be therapeutic?
Almost anything can or could be therapeutic, depending on the needs of the person receiving the therapy, and their reasons for needing that therapy. So I'm sure that writing about philosophy could be appropriate — in extreme cases only, of course. 😉 Perhaps the practice of science, or mathematics, could be therapeutic too? (Almost) anything is possible.

More interesting to me: is therapy beneficial or valuable? In what way? Is it necessary, or might we be better off without it? And, in the vein of your OP, how might art or music achieve a therapeutic end?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Pattern-chaser wrote: September 21st, 2022, 9:05 am
JackDaydream wrote: September 21st, 2022, 8:21 am This thread is intended for any who are interested in the therapeutic value of visual art, music and all other forms of artistic expression. It can also be asked, can writing about philosophy be therapeutic?
Almost anything can or could be therapeutic, depending on the needs of the person receiving the therapy, and their reasons for needing that therapy. So I'm sure that writing about philosophy could be appropriate — in extreme cases only, of course. 😉 Perhaps the practice of science, or mathematics, could be therapeutic too? (Almost) anything is possible.

More interesting to me: is therapy beneficial or valuable? In what way? Is it necessary, or might we be better off without it? And, in the vein of your OP, how might art or music achieve a therapeutic end?
It is true that many hobbies or interests can be a form of therapy. Some find being with animals to be therapeutic emotionally and I have read of a correlation between having a pet and some aspects of physical health and wellbeing. Some of it may come down to enjoyment, which is variable and, in this respect, science may be therapeutic. I think that I find Maths to be antitherapeutic. From about the age of 10 I dreaded Maths periods, especially when on Thursdays I had double Maths in the morning and sports all afternoon. Sports often give people a form of release but I am not interested in sports, playing them or even watching them.

As for the specifics of art therapy, there are various models. The one which I was being trained in was art psychotherapy. It was based on the psychodynamic approach and theory. Apart from the art making the relationship between the client and therapist was considered as being extremely important. This was based on the idea of the transference, in which the the essential relationship between a child and parent is considered as important. The relationship between the therapist and client is seen as a working space to work with in therapy. It is believed to involve basic processing of experience, even at a biochemistry level potentially. In art therapy, the use of images is also seen as important in expressing aspects of emotional experiences which may be difficult to articulate through words.

The question of whether art therapy or psychotherapy works is extremely important. One belied which some people have is that sometimes things have to get worse before they get better. I do wonder about this though, because what if they simply get worse and don't get better? Part of the difficulty with assessing how therapy works is the difficulty of finding clear evidence quantitatively. There is qualitative evidence based on personal testimony. There may be growing aspects of quantitative and qualitative research because when I was training it was considered an important area for development in relation to whether art therapy works, based on evidence based research.

LuckyR

Post by LuckyR »

What we find important is typically the source of stress when they go wrong, or might go wrong. So things that aren't relatively important can play the distraction role.
"As usual... it depends."
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

LuckyR wrote: September 21st, 2022, 2:47 pm What we find important is typically the source of stress when they go wrong, or might go wrong. So things that aren't relatively important can play the distraction role.
It can be a matter of juggling and I definitely have a lot of things going completely upside down. That is probably why I have such a wide range of music, because I have searched for it as an antidote. I can remember one time, after a difficult meeting walking around HMV music and the man working there asked me why I was walking round and round. Eventually, I found a disc to buy and some of my favourite music was found to ease stress and it has worked as a coping mechanism.

The other side to this is whether stress and distress can be a doorway to creativity. I find that if I am too stressed it often depletes me of creativity. For example, if I try to make art in my room and have too many worries it often just doesn't seem to come out as I would like it to. However, sometimes, on a longer basis I find that forms of suffering can lead to creativity, as if the experience and, the journey through it, facilitates a new, or deeper, level of perception.
chewybrian
Favorite Philosopher: Epictetus

Post by chewybrian »

JackDaydream wrote: September 21st, 2022, 3:02 pm
LuckyR wrote: September 21st, 2022, 2:47 pm What we find important is typically the source of stress when they go wrong, or might go wrong. So things that aren't relatively important can play the distraction role.
It can be a matter of juggling and I definitely have a lot of things going completely upside down. That is probably why I have such a wide range of music, because I have searched for it as an antidote. I can remember one time, after a difficult meeting walking around HMV music and the man working there asked me why I was walking round and round. Eventually, I found a disc to buy and some of my favourite music was found to ease stress and it has worked as a coping mechanism.

The other side to this is whether stress and distress can be a doorway to creativity. I find that if I am too stressed it often depletes me of creativity. For example, if I try to make art in my room and have too many worries it often just doesn't seem to come out as I would like it to. However, sometimes, on a longer basis I find that forms of suffering can lead to creativity, as if the experience and, the journey through it, facilitates a new, or deeper, level of perception.
I relate to what you said here. I enjoy writing or painting for fun, but not if I am tired or very stressed. I think art is therapeutic in relation to everyday stress. It isn't going to help against ptsd or relieve the tension when bombs are falling on your position! However, it helps you get past the urge to retreat from yourself in unhealthy ways in response to everyday existential anxiety. This guy expressed the idea well in his books, and here is a decent short version:
"If determinism holds, then past events have conspired to cause me to hold this view--it is out of my control. Either I am right about free will, or it is not my fault that I am wrong."
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

chewybrian wrote: September 21st, 2022, 4:14 pm
JackDaydream wrote: September 21st, 2022, 3:02 pm

I relate to what you said here. I enjoy writing or painting for fun, but not if I am tired or very stressed. I think art is therapeutic in relation to everyday stress. It isn't going to help against ptsd or relieve the tension when bombs are falling on your position! However, it helps you get past the urge to retreat from yourself in unhealthy ways in response to everyday existential anxiety. This guy expressed the idea well in his books, and here is a decent short version:
Thanks for your reply, and I did read a book by Rollo May at one point. Getting to the state of mind to make art and do writing can be difficult. Funnily enough, even if I am anxious I still write on this site, but this kind of writing may be different from some other kinds of writing because it is about rational thinking. With visual art, I often feel as if my perception itself is affected by stress. I even found it hard to have to make art in exam conditions for this right. Some people seem to do better in exam conditions than others. I also struggle to focus if I am feeling low in mood.

On the art therapy course which I was doing there were a lot of experimental workshops and I can remember people being very emotionally dramatic in expressing sadness and anger, shouting, crying or throwing paint around. I used to prefer working in a corner quietly and showing art at the end and looking at those of other people. I do like doing art in groups and used to run creative art groups regularly in my job in my nursing job.

When running the groups I did find that some very stressed patients who were on an acute admissions ward used to come and see the group as an outlet for ventilating their emotions, and talking about their life experiences. I was not working as a therapist, but was influenced by art therapy, but also saw the group as a chance for people to enjoy themselves, especially as I used to do it on Sunday afternoons.

In regard to your mention of PTSD, I have known people who have spent time in art therapy for this and found it to be extremely helpful. Also, while I have never worked with children, art therapy is often an option for children who have emotional difficulties, including those who have been through traumatic experiences. The role of the therapist is probably very important here, which makes being a therapist a fairly hard role, because it often involves working with painful emotions.

Roby112
New Trial Member

Post by Roby112 »

Art therapy is a distinct discipline that incorporates creative methods of expression through visual art media. Art therapy, as a creative arts therapy profession, originated in the fields of art and psychotherapy and may vary in definition. There are three main ways that art therapy is employed. If you want to enjoy Art services And many other services you can visit.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Roby112 wrote: September 22nd, 2022, 3:14 am Art therapy is a distinct discipline that incorporates creative methods of expression through visual art media. Art therapy, as a creative arts therapy profession, originated in the fields of art and psychotherapy and may vary in definition. There are three main ways that art therapy is employed. If you want to enjoy Art services And many other services you can visit.
It is definitely important to remember that art therapy is a discipline and a clinical practice. People who call themselves art therapists but who are not qualified and registered can be in trouble just as those who call themselves doctors. That is why when I have run groups I have never called them art therapy but creative art groups. I have come across people don't understand the distinction, especially as the phrase art therapy is used so casually, such as when so many colouring books are called art therapy. The history of art therapy comes from various strands including art in mental health care. Work made in hospitals, and the Outsider, or folk art, were important. Altogether, it developed from various disciplines, including psychotherapy and people from art backgrounds, who trained and established practice.
Invisibilis
New Trial Member

Post by Invisibilis »

Art is an expression.
Art therapy is awakening to the truth behind our expressions.
JackDaydream

Post by JackDaydream »

Invisibilis wrote: November 3rd, 2022, 7:22 pm Art is an expression.
Art therapy is awakening to the truth behind our expressions.
Some find art as an expression of emotions and as a form of catharsis. In understanding the truth behind expressions the art therapist may play a vital role in the interpretative process in addition to the potential of the art itself.
d3r31nz1g3

Post by d3r31nz1g3 »

Well I think the question in the thread title's answer is pretty self-evident. Asking me what makes art therapy is pretty close to describing a rock.

I am a massive consumer of the arts as are many people in this modern era. I don't mean the fine arts, either. Underground and popular music, modern and contemporary varieties, Hollywood films, independent films, etc.

As far as producing art I do very little. I tried my hands at writing a few times but I can't bare to make myself "work" on any sort of intentional "project". I express myself vicariously through living and interaction. I think that's artistic even if it isn't a direct pursuit.

Considering we live in an age of mass media, I'd say art is all-encompassing in my own existence.
whateverist
Favorite Philosopher: McGilchrist

Post by whateverist »

If you believe there is more going on inside than what you can arbitrarily decide or even completely articulate in any exhaustive way even if you had the time to investigate thoroughly, then perhaps part of who you are is a mystery to you. If you believe that learning more about who you are would be of value, then what you produce in a creative state might bring to the surface something about who you are in a deeper sense, in the same way dreams can. What you do creatively for therapy's sake isn't likely to be high art, but it can be highly therapeutic depending on what your therapeutic goals may be.

Return to “Philosophy of the Arts and Philosophy in the Arts”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream