Will racism ever be over?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2021 Philosophy Book of the Month, Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas
GE Morton

Re: Will racism ever be over?

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 11:07 pm This is horrible! I wish I was in a collective, Bun trip! I'm not.
Oh, you may be in several. If you're a member of a jazz band, a football team, a model airplane club, a farmers' coop, or even such organizations as Greenpeace or the NRA or the Kiwanis, you're in a collective. But not by merely being a "member of society."
Ecurb

Post by Ecurb »

I'm not a member of the NRA, despite my recent hunting expedition. Model airplanes bore me, I lack a green thumb, my musical talents are limited, and my many sports-induced injuries have curtailed my ability to play team sports. I am going to Thanksgiving with my son, his wife, his in-laws, and my two grandchildren. Perhaps a family is a collective, and one for which I will gladly give thanks today.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Good_Egg wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 7:30 pm Whereas some whose understanding is collectivist would say that if fewer dark-skinned people have such skills then asking for them is racist because it disadvantages the racial group that is less likely to possess such skills.
Pattern-chaser wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 8:17 am No. If the position requires English language skills, the only racist thing one might do is to assume that a "dark-skinned" applicant does not have these skills. No "collectivist" would say otherwise, I don't think.
Sculptor1 wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 3:39 pm Your comment is completely illogical because you make several assertions that are unfounded.
I wasn't aware of asserting much here. I assert my opinions, as my opinions, but so what? What are the "unfounded assertions" that you have detected, please?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

GE Morton wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 10:35 pm A group of people who happen, by accident of birth, to occupy a common territory do not constitute a collective.
OK, then just call them a "group", as you have here. The sense I intended is unchanged.
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Ecurb wrote: November 24th, 2022, 10:39 am Perhaps a family is a collective, and one for which I will gladly give thanks today.
Yes they are --- well, some of them. Enjoy!
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 24th, 2022, 11:07 am
Good_Egg wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 7:30 pm Whereas some whose understanding is collectivist would say that if fewer dark-skinned people have such skills then asking for them is racist because it disadvantages the racial group that is less likely to possess such skills.
Pattern-chaser wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 8:17 am No. If the position requires English language skills, the only racist thing one might do is to assume that a "dark-skinned" applicant does not have these skills. No "collectivist" would say otherwise, I don't think.
Sculptor1 wrote: November 23rd, 2022, 3:39 pm Your comment is completely illogical because you make several assertions that are unfounded.
I wasn't aware of asserting much here. I assert my opinions, as my opinions, but so what? What are the "unfounded assertions" that you have detected, please?
It an interesting question which you have failed to ask me in respect to my atheism.
But..
I never waste my time with people who are so illogical
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 24th, 2022, 11:07 am What are the "unfounded assertions" that you have detected, please?
Sculptor1 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 12:48 pm I never waste my time with people who are so illogical
🤣🤣🤣

So your comment was BS; I wasn't quite sure.

🤣🤣🤣
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Sculptor1

Post by Sculptor1 »

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 24th, 2022, 1:28 pm
Pattern-chaser wrote: November 24th, 2022, 11:07 am What are the "unfounded assertions" that you have detected, please?
Sculptor1 wrote: November 24th, 2022, 12:48 pm I never waste my time with people who are so illogical

So your comment was BS; I wasn't quite sure.
It would be illogical of you to say that.
Good_Egg

Post by Good_Egg »

I think one can argue that a well-functioning democratic society is a group.

Seems to me that the jazz band and the football team are groups because the members communicate and take collective decisions.

The difference between those groups and the whole nation is partly one of scale, and partly that belonging to society is essentially involuntary. Most of the French people have not chosen to be French, they were just born there.

Can there be an involuntary group ? Yes. The residents of a POW camp may have strong group bonds and attempt collective action.

The contrast is with mere sets of people (such as the set of left-handers) who have no members-only communication and do not act collectively.

(The involuntariness of being subject to a government is an argument for libertarianism, but that's another topic).

A race is not a group.
"Opinions are fiercest.. ..when the evidence to support or refute them is weakest" - Druin Burch
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Good_Egg wrote: November 25th, 2022, 5:17 am I think one can argue that a well-functioning democratic society is a group.

Seems to me that the jazz band and the football team are groups because the members communicate and take collective decisions.

The difference between those groups and the whole nation is partly one of scale, and partly that belonging to society is essentially involuntary. Most of the French people have not chosen to be French, they were just born there.

Can there be an involuntary group ? Yes. The residents of a POW camp may have strong group bonds and attempt collective action.

The contrast is with mere sets of people (such as the set of left-handers) who have no members-only communication and do not act collectively.

(The involuntariness of being subject to a government is an argument for libertarianism, but that's another topic).

A race is not a group.
In general, I agree. But what if brown-skinned people — I won't say "race", as the very existence of 'race' is a myth — employ "members-only communication" and act collectively? They're a group then, aren't they?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Good_Egg wrote: November 25th, 2022, 5:17 am I think one can argue that a well-functioning democratic society is a group.
A society is a group, democratic, well-functioning or not. The question was whether it was a collective.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 25th, 2022, 8:51 am
In general, I agree. But what if brown-skinned people — I won't say "race", as the very existence of 'race' is a myth — employ "members-only communication" and act collectively? They're a group then, aren't they?
But they don't --- not the group as a whole. There will be, of course, many subgroups within that group (or any large group) who act collectively, and thus can be called "collectives."

And you're echoing "progressive" nonsense by claiming race is a "myth." That term is a useful one for describing three broad subpopulations of humans who share "family resemblances" and whose recent evolution occurred in widely separated portions of the planet. It is as valid, and as useful, as distinguishing breeds of dogs, or varieties of roses.
GE Morton

Post by GE Morton »

GE Morton wrote: November 25th, 2022, 12:47 pm
And you're echoing "progressive" nonsense by claiming race is a "myth." That term is a useful one for describing three broad subpopulations of humans who share "family resemblances" and whose recent evolution occurred in widely separated portions of the planet. It is as valid, and as useful, as distinguishing breeds of dogs, or varieties of roses.
The whole business of taxonomy in biology has been thrown into chaos by the advent of DNA analysis. Previously, species membership was determined by whether a male and female from two distinct populations could interbreed and produce viable, fertile offspring. If those two populations displayed consistent and distinct morphological characteristics, then they might be dubbed two subspecies of the same species. Now the classifications are drawn according to differences in DNA, which is even more arbitrary. Many species of small cats can successfully interbreed, and will if their ranges overlap. Yet based on DNA differences they're deemed different species. The morphological differences between them are no greater than those found among domestic cats, which are considered all the same species.

The DNA of every individual of a species differs from that of all other individuals (identical twins excepted). How much difference must there be to justify a species distinction? How much to justify subspecies distinctions?

Classifying organisms into population groups is descriptively useful, but it shouldn't be an excuse to ignore the many individual differences among members of those groups.
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

GE Morton wrote: November 25th, 2022, 12:01 pm A society is a group, democratic, well-functioning or not. The question was whether it was a collective.
Even Merriam-Webster, which I believe to be an American dictionary, lists several meanings, only the second of which is the one you always refer to:
Merriam-Webster wrote: Collective noun
1: a collective body : group E.g. "a social collective".
2: a cooperative unit or organization. Specifically: collective farm
3: a helicopter control system governing lift
I must admit that the helicopter-related meaning is a new one on me! 😃
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Pattern-chaser wrote: November 25th, 2022, 8:51 am In general, I agree. But what if brown-skinned people — I won't say "race", as the very existence of 'race' is a myth — employ "members-only communication" and act collectively? They're a group then, aren't they?
GE Morton wrote: November 25th, 2022, 12:47 pm And you're echoing "progressive" nonsense by claiming race is a "myth." That term is a useful one for describing three broad subpopulations of humans who share "family resemblances" and whose recent evolution occurred in widely separated portions of the planet. It is as valid, and as useful, as distinguishing breeds of dogs, or varieties of roses.
Wikipedia wrote: Race acquired its modern meaning in the field of physical anthropology through scientific racism starting in the 19th century. With the rise of modern genetics, the concept of distinct human races in a biological sense has become obsolete. In 2019, the American Association of Biological Anthropologists stated: "The belief in 'races' as natural aspects of human biology, and the structures of inequality (racism) that emerge from such beliefs, are among the most damaging elements in the human experience both today and in the past."
Quoted text taken from here. I am not an expert in 'racial' genetics, but I am happy to accept what those who have studied the subject believe. Aren't you?
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"

Return to “Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream