If you woke up as an alien in a humanless world, would you still be you?

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

If you woke up as an alien in a humanless world, would you still be you?

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

This is a discussion forum topic for the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

If you liked the opening question in my book In It Together, then you may like this question too, which ties into some of the other themes in the book:

Imagine a few minutes from now you suddenly wake up as an alien in a humanless world, realizing that you had only been dreaming you were a human and that humans were merely a fictional creature that you had dreamt up while sleeping. Would you still be you, the real you?
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Mounce574
Premium Member

Re: If you woke up as an alien in a humanless world, would you still be you?

Post by Mounce574 »

I think if you have a broad imagination then it is entirely a possibility. It also gives a stand for wondering if humans are entirely fictional or if they are out there on another planet or universe. I think I would want to find out if humans are real.
"Facts don't care about your feelings." Ben Shapiro
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." NF from Motto
Surabhi Rani
Premium Member

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I would take quite some time to familiarize myself with the new world if I suddenly woke up as an alien in a humanless world. I would contemplate the reasons for my new existence. In that new world, I would compare myself with humans. After a thorough and complete examination of the situation, I think everything would be fine with me. I would try to set everything right with me.
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Post by Sushan »

First, I would like to focus on dreaming. We all are familiar with dreaming as we all have experienced dreaming during our sleeps. We happen to be in entirely new situations in those dreams, and I am sure 'out of body' experiences are not rare among the dreams that people have seen. It is true that when we suddenly wakeup from a dream we happen to feel a bit awkward. But after that we carry on with our normal lives as nothing as happened. So I think this will apply even if we are aliens who are in a deep sleep dreaming a life as a human. When we wakeup, we will be aliens and nothing more.

When I think about the themes that are discussed in the book in relation to this question, I would like to clarify a few things.

1) Do you believe in presence of aliens?

2) Do they have a consciousness?

3) If yes, is it similar to our consciousness and can we think of the shared consciousness including their consciousness?

If all the above are 'Yes", then I think I will sill be I am since there is no relevance of the outer body or appearance to being myself as long as the consciousness remains the same.
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Mounce574 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 3:32 pm I think if you have a broad imagination then it is entirely a possibility. It also gives a stand for wondering if humans are entirely fictional or if they are out there on another planet or universe. I think I would want to find out if humans are real.
You remind me of the movie 'The Matrix', which depicts,
a dystopian future in which humanity is unknowingly trapped inside the Matrix, a simulated reality that intelligent machines have created to distract humans while using their bodies as an energy source.
(Wikipedia)

it is not impossible to such a thing to go on right now without our knowledge, and it is quite a terrifying idea. :shock:
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Surabhi Rani wrote: November 15th, 2022, 9:58 pm I would take quite some time to familiarize myself with the new world if I suddenly woke up as an alien in a humanless world. I would contemplate the reasons for my new existence. In that new world, I would compare myself with humans. After a thorough and complete examination of the situation, I think everything would be fine with me. I would try to set everything right with me.
That is the rational way of acting in such a scenario. But will it be easy to apply practically? Most of us, including myself, are easily panicked when faced with new and uncertain situations. And the situation that is explained in this forum is the quite extreme among uncertain situations.

– William James
Mounce574
Premium Member

Post by Mounce574 »

Sushan wrote: November 16th, 2022, 2:39 am
Surabhi Rani wrote: November 15th, 2022, 9:58 pm I would take quite some time to familiarize myself with the new world if I suddenly woke up as an alien in a humanless world. I would contemplate the reasons for my new existence. In that new world, I would compare myself with humans. After a thorough and complete examination of the situation, I think everything would be fine with me. I would try to set everything right with me.
That is the rational way of acting in such a scenario. But will it be easy to apply practically? Most of us, including myself, are easily panicked when faced with new and uncertain situations. And the situation that is explained in this forum is the quite extreme among uncertain situations.
Morbid curiosity would still have me investigate with caution. I know that is taking a risk but I will never know if I don't. Whatever the result will also allow other people to react appropriately.
Sushan

Post by Sushan »

Mounce574 wrote: November 22nd, 2022, 10:46 pm
Sushan wrote: November 16th, 2022, 2:39 am
Morbid curiosity would still have me investigate with caution. I know that is taking a risk but I will never know if I don't. Whatever the result will also allow other people to react appropriately.
Do you mean that you will be the first to take some risk and give the rest of the people some insight on how to act thereafter? But I think in this scenario you are on your own, and even if you loose a limb or your life due to the morbid curiosity (a nice term 😊), it will serve no one. But yes, curiosity will make any of us to have atleast a peek despite whatever the dangers lie ahead.

– William James
Jennifer Benitez 1
Premium Member

Post by Jennifer Benitez 1 »

You got som imagination thinking 'bout a human(?) world!
Mounce574
Premium Member

Post by Mounce574 »

I recently read Dragon Protocol: The Eden Project which somewhat has the same scenario only humans landed on a planet and didn't know where the inhabitants had gone. When they banished a girl for not following rules that didn't make sense, she discovers the inhabitants went underground because there is a disease that is fatal and airborne. These survivors couldn't communicate except for telepathic touch and the first encounter with them wouldn't have been positive had the girl not taken the initiative to make contact first.
Bertha Jackson
Premium Member

Post by Bertha Jackson »

My answer to this question will be the same as it was to the first question in your book. No matter what shape or form I find myself in, my soul would remain the same.
Alex Reeves
Premium Member

Post by Alex Reeves »

If I woke up as an alien in another universe and realize that my life on earth has only been a dream, I think I'll find it very hard to conform to the ways of my 'real' world. I'll surely act like a human there, and maybe I'll have to be taught how things go on so that I can live like a normal 'alien'. This is because I'm so used to this world, and it'll be very difficult to change my way of life to that of the alien was before I started dreaming about this world.
Kathryn Liang
Premium Member

Post by Kathryn Liang »

I think at your core, you’d still be the real you. It would challenge every belief that you had ever known, however your innermost ideals of right and wrong and morality would probably stay the same. I think that you may have to change and adapt but in your head and soul, it’s still you.
Alex Reeves
Premium Member

Post by Alex Reeves »

I agree with you. It's still going to be me, the human, living and walking around in an alien body because I'm no longer used to being the alien I was before I started dreaming about humanity. It'll take a great deal of time for me to eventually adapt to alien lifestyle, but if this was all a dream, I'm certain that I'll never forget the experience of being a human.
Samantha Barnes 3
Premium Member

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

I would still be me. Everything around me would have changed, but I would still have the memories that shaped me, even if they were only in a dream. With that being said, I would be devastated, and I would have to change to suit my new environment.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream