Would Flat-Land Four-Eyed Freddy Notice a Difference?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"). Those kind of questions can be asked in the off-topic section.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Would Flat-Land Four-Eyed Freddy Notice a Difference?

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

If objective directional orientation (forward, right, left, etc.) objectively exist in an observer-independent way, then would inverting Flat Land cause Four-Eyed Freddy to notice a difference?

From our external transcendental perspective in our 3D/4D world, the difference between the two below images is merely that they have been inverted horizontally. But that means that all the internal relationships in the 2D world have been preserved.

If Flat Land Four-Eyed Freddy can't notice a difference, does that mean that there is no objective difference, meaning reductio ad absurdum we have proven that objective observer-independent directional orientation does not exist in relativistic physics?

In any case, if you disagree with any of the below statements, please specify which ones are the ones with which you disagree and which ones are the ones with which you agree:

1. Directional orientation (e.g. fowardness, leftness, rightness) is relative.

2. Directional orientation (e.g. fowardness, leftness, rightness) is not absolute.

3. Directional orientation (e.g. fowardness, leftness, rightness) is not observer-independent.

4. Two observers can disagree about directional orientation (e.g. fowardness, leftness, rightness) and neither is more correct than the other.

5. Directional orientation (e.g. fowardness, leftness, rightness) is not objective.

6. Even if we specify the 4-sided box as the reference place, it is impossible to objectively say whether the blue car is on the right or left.

7. Even if we specify the center of the 4-sided box as the reference point, it is impossible to objectively say whether the blue car is on the right or the left.

8. It is impossible to specify which car is on the right or left without creating (i.e. making up) a reference frame.

9. If we put into the image certain kinds of asymmetrical creatures, namely a human, we could infer the reference frame that creature/human would tend to use. For instance, we could infer based on our knowledge of humans that a human would tend to treat itself as the stationary center of the universe and treat its eyes and nose as pointing forward, thereby making up a directional orientation (i.e. reference frame) relative to itself based on its own asymmetries and its own labels for its own body-parts (e.g. what it calls one eye versus the other or one hand versus the other). Thus, if different humans were looking in different directions, they would tend to each disagree about which way was forward because they each tend to make up a reference frame based on the premise of themselves being the center of the universe with their eyes looking forward.
Attachments
four-eyed-freddy-2.png
four-eyed-freddy-1.png
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Count Lucanor
Favorite Philosopher: Umberto Eco

Re: Would Flat-Land Four-Eyed Freddy Notice a Difference?

Post by Count Lucanor »

I can only agree with 1 and 2. Left and right, up and down, are social conventions of spatial relations from a human-centered perspective that apply to all humans. What is at my left or right at s given point in space might be different than what is at your left or right at the same time from your point in space, but our left and right is exactly the same. The orientation template is the same.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Scott wrote: 1. Directional orientation (e.g. fowardness, leftness, rightness) is relative.

2. Directional orientation (e.g. fowardness, leftness, rightness) is not absolute.

3. Directional orientation (e.g. fowardness, leftness, rightness) is not observer-independent.

[Emphasis Added.]
Count Lucanor wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 8:43 am I can only agree with 1 and 2. Left and right, up and down, are social conventions of spatial relations from a human-centered perspective that apply to all humans. What is at my left or right at s given point in space might be different than what is at your left or right at the same time from your point in space, but our left and right is exactly the same. The orientation template is the same.
Hi, Count Lucanor,

It seems the first of the numbered assertions which which you disagree is #3. You mention that even though my left and your left may be different "our left" is exactly the same.

Then may I ask if Mars is on our left or our right?

Since you would say that our left is the same even though my left is different from your left, would you likewise say that our taste in ice cream is the same even if my taste and your taste in ice cream is not the same? Even if my favorite flavor of ice cream and your favorite flavor of ice cream are different, would you say that our favorite flavor is the same? If leftness and rightness are observer-independent, then is ice cream tastiness observer-independent?

Also, regarding the 2D world reflected in the image(s) in the OP, would flat-land four-eyed Freddy notice a difference?

If our entire observable universe exists on a 3D-screen or 4D-screen on a TV-like device being watched by 5-dimensional alien, and the alien was to rotate his TV 90 degrees, or invert the image, or press rewind, would we notice a difference?

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Scott wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 2:51 pm Hi, Count Lucanor,

It seems the first of the numbered assertions which which you disagree is #3. You mention that even though my left and your left may be different "our left" is exactly the same.

Then may I ask if Mars is on our left or our right?
It will depend at which moment in time (since Mars and the Earth are constantly moving in relation to each other) and point in space we're looking to Mars. If we were looking at it from the some point of view at the same time, there would be absolutely no doubt whether it is to our left or to our right, because our orientation template is the same. This template is based on the point of view of any human in an upright position dividing the space in front of our eyes with a virtual vertical line through the middle. The portion of the space where our heart is located in relation to that line is our left hand, the portion of the space where our pancreas is located in relation to that line, is our right hand (of course we don't need to rely on our heart and pancreas to create the convention, that's just an example). That's our universal convention for handedness, which as we can see, is not based on a personal subjective opinion or a capricious desire, but on a fixed, reproducible, repeatable, consistent frame of reference: the human body, a symmetrical natural system that promotes the division of space in two fields, one at each side. As each person moves in space, is also "moving" this template, so things appearing at the left of one person or of an object observed by this person, might appear at the right of the other person or object, but that only shows the relative position of the objects from the observers and from other objects. The orientation system itself is unique.
Scott wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 2:51 pm Since you would say that our left is the same even though my left is different from your left,
I hope the explanation above cleared out any possible misunderstanding about what this means.
Scott wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 2:51 pmwould you likewise say that our taste in ice cream is the same even if my taste and your taste in ice cream is not the same?
If you describe to me the taste template that forms our taste convention for ice cream, in the same way I just described our handedness template, I could consider that possibility.
Scott wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 2:51 pm Even if my favorite flavor of ice cream and your favorite flavor of ice cream are different, would you say that our favorite flavor is the same? If leftness and rightness are observer-independent, then is ice cream tastiness observer-independent?
As far as I remember, taste is based on sensations experienced by the subjects, without any possible way of transmitting that sensation to another subject. It is truly subjective, unlike handedness, which depends on a experience that is common to all humans: the configuration of their bodies.
Scott wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 2:51 pm Also, regarding the 2D world reflected in the image(s) in the OP, would flat-land four-eyed Freddy notice a difference?
Actually, that "2D world" description turns out to be quite misguiding. By definition, a "world" includes the inhabitants, that is, the observers in that world. The image in the OP is not, by any means, a "2d world". It is a flat plane seen from a point of view in the 3d world. In order for the system to be a 2d world, the inhabitants would be flat themselves, and they would not have a point along a 3D axis from which to see the shapes in the 2-dimensional flat plane, they would only see dots and lines. The 2-dimensional shapes in the OP are then still part of a 3d space system where our handedness template can be applied to produce objective descriptions of their relations.
The wise are instructed by reason, average minds by experience, the stupid by necessity and the brute by instinct.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Scott wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 2:51 pmAlso, regarding the 2D world reflected in the image(s) in the OP, would flat-land four-eyed Freddy notice a difference?
Count Lucanor wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 11:02 pmBy definition, a "world" includes the inhabitants, that is, the observers in that world. The image in the OP[...] is a flat plane seen from a point of view in the 3d world. In order for the system to be a 2d world, the inhabitants would be flat themselves, and they would not have a point along a 3D axis from which to see the shapes in the 2-dimensional flat plane, they would only see dots and lines.
You present the above as if it is a point of disagreement between you and I, but actually I agree with all of the quoted sentences above. :)

I assume then we would also agree that not only would Flat-Land Freddy not notice a difference between the would-be two different 2D worlds symbolized by the two pictures, but that actually the two inverted pictures actually represent identical 2D worlds. In other words, there wouldn't even be a different for Flat-Land Freddy to notice, so he couldn't notice a difference.

Surabhi Rani
Premium Member

Post by Surabhi Rani »

All the above statements are correct. The multidimensional nature of the expression of a simple truth of our transcendent existence.
Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Scott wrote: January 18th, 2023, 4:59 pm
Scott wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 2:51 pmAlso, regarding the 2D world reflected in the image(s) in the OP, would flat-land four-eyed Freddy notice a difference?
Count Lucanor wrote: May 3rd, 2021, 11:02 pmBy definition, a "world" includes the inhabitants, that is, the observers in that world. The image in the OP[...] is a flat plane seen from a point of view in the 3d world. In order for the system to be a 2d world, the inhabitants would be flat themselves, and they would not have a point along a 3D axis from which to see the shapes in the 2-dimensional flat plane, they would only see dots and lines.
You present the above as if it is a point of disagreement between you and I, but actually I agree with all of the quoted sentences above. :)

I assume then we would also agree that not only would Flat-Land Freddy not notice a difference between the would-be two different 2D worlds symbolized by the two pictures, but that actually the two inverted pictures actually represent identical 2D worlds. In other words, there wouldn't even be a different for Flat-Land Freddy to notice, so he couldn't notice a difference.
Well yes, Flat-Land Freddy wouldn't be able to notice the pictures themselves, although I'm not sure if the patterns created in the two-dimensional field of view would be noticeable and make any difference.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Scott wrote: January 18th, 2023, 4:59 pm You present the above as if it is a point of disagreement between you and I, but actually I agree with all of the quoted sentences above. :)

Count Lucanor wrote: January 24th, 2023, 1:58 pm Well yes, Flat-Land Freddy wouldn't be able to notice the pictures themselves, although I'm not sure if the patterns created in the two-dimensional field of view would be noticeable and make any difference.
I'm sorry; I don't understand what you mean what you write "the patterns created in the two-dimensional field of view would be noticeable and make any difference". Can you explain that a bit more to me?

In any case, I believe we agree that the two inverted pictures actually represent identical 2D worlds, meaning there is no different notice. Thus, they wouldn't and couldn't notice a difference because there is no difference to notice.

Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Scott wrote: January 24th, 2023, 2:22 pm
I'm sorry; I don't understand what you mean what you write "the patterns created in the two-dimensional field of view would be noticeable and make any difference". Can you explain that a bit more to me?

In any case, I believe we agree that the two inverted pictures actually represent identical 2D worlds, meaning there is no different notice. Thus, they wouldn't and couldn't notice a difference because there is no difference to notice.
What I mean is that you wouldn't see a plane, but a line. However, this line might show different patterns (such as dots, lines and empty spaces between them) created by the flat geometry of the pictures, and since you would be able to rotate your field of view, the patterns in this line would also change. So, it is still possible to see a difference, even though you cannot see the pictures from above.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Count Lucanor wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:12 pm What I mean is that you wouldn't see a plane, but a line. However, this line might show different patterns (such as dots, lines and empty spaces between them) created by the flat geometry of the pictures, and since you would be able to rotate your field of view, the patterns in this line would also change.
Agreed.

Count Lucanor wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:12 pmSo, it is still possible to see a difference, even though you cannot see the pictures from above.
It is not possible to see a difference, because there is no difference to see.

Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Scott wrote: January 24th, 2023, 8:56 pm
Count Lucanor wrote: January 24th, 2023, 3:12 pmSo, it is still possible to see a difference, even though you cannot see the pictures from above.
I'm not sure about that. I mean, from the point of view of Flat-Land Freddy, what we would see is a cross section of the planes. It looks like the cross section of one picture will be different from the cross section of the other, since points of the geometry of the figures still will be represented on the X and Y axis. They will not be seen from above, but will be seen from the side.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Count Lucanor wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:43 pm
I'm not sure about that. I mean, from the point of view of Flat-Land Freddy, what we would see is a cross section of the planes. It looks like the cross section of one picture will be different from the cross section of the other
There is not really two pictures, per se. If you can, please simply print out a copy of the image on one piece of transparent paper, and then flip it over to see it from the inverted perspective, noting that nothing within the world depicted by the image has changed. The only change was your perspective, which doesn't exist in the 2d world depicted by the image.

Better yet, if you can, lay out the printed piece of paper on a glass table and look at it from above and below to see the two different external perspectives without even needed to touch or move the paper.

Count Lucanor

Post by Count Lucanor »

Scott wrote: January 25th, 2023, 12:53 am
Count Lucanor wrote: January 24th, 2023, 10:43 pm
I'm not sure about that. I mean, from the point of view of Flat-Land Freddy, what we would see is a cross section of the planes. It looks like the cross section of one picture will be different from the cross section of the other
There is not really two pictures, per se. If you can, please simply print out a copy of the image on one piece of transparent paper, and then flip it over to see it from the inverted perspective, noting that nothing within the world depicted by the image has changed. The only change was your perspective, which doesn't exist in the 2d world depicted by the image.

Better yet, if you can, lay out the printed piece of paper on a glass table and look at it from above and below to see the two different external perspectives without even needed to touch or move the paper.
But you're talking here about what I CAN SEE from my point of view in a 3D world. The issue was what would Flat-Land Freddy see in a 2D world. In both cases, the viewer can adopt different perspectives to compare the two images. It is likely that in every case, differences will be noticed.
― Marcus Tullius Cicero
Pattern-chaser
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Cratylus

Post by Pattern-chaser »

Scott wrote: May 1st, 2021, 11:34 am If objective directional orientation (forward, right, left, etc.) objectively exist in an observer-independent way, then would inverting Flat Land cause Four-Eyed Freddy to notice a difference?

If directional orientation is not "observer-dependent", it would seem to have no use or purpose. Out there in the spacetime universe, there is no need for, and no such thing as, "directional orientation". Directional orientation is something close to an adjectival phrase, used to describe how an observer observes. It describes a perspective, a literal one: a point of view; a point, and a direction, from which observation occurs.

The universe has no need for directional orientation. Only you (we) seem to have that need, and so you (we) invent "directional orientation".
Pattern-chaser

"Who cares, wins"
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Scott wrote: January 25th, 2023, 12:53 am If you can, please simply print out a copy of the image on one piece of transparent paper, [...]

if you can, lay out the printed piece of paper on a glass table and look at it from above and below to see the two different external perspectives without even needing to touch or move the paper.
Count Lucanor wrote: January 25th, 2023, 11:39 pm But you're talking here about what I CAN SEE from my point of view in a 3D world. The issue was what would Flat-Land Freddy see in a 2D world. In both cases, the viewer can adopt different perspectives to compare the two images. It is likely that in every case, differences will be noticed.

[Emphasis added.]
There is only one image.

I am talking about both your perspective in your world (the one we typically call the real one which is spatially 3D) and Flat-Land Freddy's Perspective in his world, which is an unreal hypothetical world (ex hypothesi), that is spatially 2D.

Your perspective of his 2D world changes when you look at it from different angles.

But there is no difference for Flat-Land Freddy to notice in his 2D world, in part because you don't exist in his world.

When you (or I) change things about yourself (or myself) such as the optical illusions we may be experiencing, it has no affect on Flat-Land Freddy's world because neither us nor our optional illusions or such exist in his world.

The seeming difference between the would-be two is like an optical illusion. There is no difference; and thus there isn't two but just one.

Return to “General Philosophy”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream