When was the last time you changed your mind about something?

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Shillah Andeso
Premium Member

Re: When was the last time you changed your mind about something?

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I am excited to contribute to this question because I want to talk to someone about this. The last time I changed my mind about something was this week. For a long time, I thought that hanging many decorations in my house meant it would look beautiful. I, however, realized that the art of minimalism was better for me. I had to abandon the thought of buying more things for my house. I think this is the best decision I've made.
Sheilaread
Premium Member

Post by Sheilaread »

Since losing my 12 year teaching job to Covid and at that time being 60, I’ve changed my mind on lots of things and plans that were/are not working out as I thought/hoped they would. First of all, no one is hiring a 60 plus female!! So I have attempted to start several at home/virtual/brick and mortar businesses, all to have to change my mind and rethink things and go in other directions when none of them were going anywhere or doing any good.

Since I’m not a quitter at anything, I just start the next business project and keep trying, hoping something will work.

I also have several serious health issues, but that too, does not stop me. I’ve lost and gained 25-30 pounds at least 3 times in 3 years!! I’m now on my 4th time of losing weight again!! Lost 9 pounds so far this round!! I will find a successful business to run!

I’m also trying to write a book! Another thing I changed my mind about. I always said. Nooo way!! But was begged by several to do it now at 63!!
Hubre De Klerk
Premium Member

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Mine is a mindset change. One was being more avtive and eating more healthy. I joined a support group, changed my eatings habits, but I still didn't get more active which is a major thing to me for my weight, being more healthy, being able to play with my son and also as it helps with my mental wellness. My 2nd thing was to shake off the negativity that is our work atmosphere daily after the work day is finished as I have noticed that I am very irritable when I get home and short tempered with my son which is completely unfair towards him as he can't wait to get home after work and spend time with me.

I know this and I need to change this asap. It is hard as I really struggle to get out of that negative loop at the end of the day, but I do believe getting active again, going directly to gym after work and kind of sweating that irritability out of my system is my answer to becoming more active, changing to a more healthy lifestyle and being more patient and calm with my son.

My mindset change is finally where it should be and I will be back in the gym from this coming Monday.
Anna Hernandez 2
Premium Member

Post by Anna Hernandez 2 »

I know this can be hugely controversial but, nonetheless, my significant other made a good point. When it comes to recognizing and separating people from the whole community it holds us in the past and keeps us from moving forward, as a community, stronger and better than before.My significant other believes Native Americans should not continue to receive special financial or political allowances. (I know, I know just let me finish). He understands the invaders of North America (aka pale faces) obliterated these people, forced them to give up literally everything, simply because the Native Americans were an inconvenience and 'different'.

BUT, we are not the past. We, in the present, understand these actions were horribly wrong and inhumane, so why should we keep recognizing a failure three generations, or more, later. By giving repayments, we allow a type of hatred to remain with the belief they are owed compensation for something they were never a physical part of. From this point-of-view every descendant of a slave should receive compensation, right? Look around the U.S., there are numerous communities, korean, brazilian, saudi, japanese, mexican, chinese, etc., all practicing and keeping their beliefs, holidays, and traditions alive without any special allowances. I feel the only exception toward tribes should be the opportunity to do their traditional hunts on sea animals, that is otherwise prohibited to the general public.

Told you controversial, but he made a good point. Don't let yourself be stuck in the past, create the brighter future our ancestors would have wanted with the cards we were dealt. We are global, touching all corners of the earth, this idea of segregation everywhere is slowing down our jettison into the future.
Pauline Parnell
Premium Member

Post by Pauline Parnell »

The last time I changed my mind about something significant was quite recently, when I decided I wanted to contribute more to society and decided I needed to change my job. I have been quite comfortable being in the same job for over a decade and did not want the hassle of looking for another. However, the more I learn, the more I feel capable of contributing to society. Reading all those wonderful BOTDs makes me feel empowered to do so.
Leasa Ana Maria
Premium Member

Post by Leasa Ana Maria »

The last major aspect of which I changed my opinion or mind was recent, about half a year or so ago, and involved my belief in God, or better said, what I perceived God to be. Several books made me reconsider what I thought I knew and how I perceived the world around me.
Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa
Premium Member

Post by Wilkister Inzai Avagalwa »

I changed my mind about so many things this new year. The most significant one was about my peace of mind. Previously, I tolerated so many people who clearly tortured me psychologically. I kept them around because I feared losing them at the expense of my peace of mind. So, one of my resolutions this new year was to do away with anyone or anything that will deny me peace of mind.
Tori_J
Premium Member

Post by Tori_J »

To answer your questions. Before 2020, I was a very religious person. I was a devout Christian. I went to church. I loved and still love singing so I joined the choir. However, at some point in 2020, I became agnostic. So I changed my mind and became an agnostic.

For your third question, it just stopped making sense to me. If I were to give all the reasons, I'll probably type an entire book. But it simply stopped making sense to me. I came to realize that my beliefs were mostly due to my indoctrination from childhood, and there have been many flaws in my religion that I chose to turn a blind eye to. When I continued exploring this path I came to realize that I could not prove that my belief is anything different from any other scientific theory about the creation of the world. So, I stopped believing but kept a open mind that maybe one day, I may find enough evidence that would clarify where the universe came from.
Tara D Morgan
Premium Member

Post by Tara D Morgan »

I am renowned for always being able to see both sides of the story and so never being able to make my mind up. But the last time I changed my mind about something was this morning. I pulled back the curtains to see a crisp, cold, frosty morning, but the sun was shining, and I decided it would be a beautiful day for a walk over the Downs near my house and then around the quarry. I heated up the soup and put it in a flask for a lunch stop off, got the dog leads on, tied my walking boots, grabbed my coat, hat, gloves and scarf ( oh and my husband... I nearly forgot about him:? ) and off we went. The walk was as beautiful as I had hoped until we were halfway around, and the heavens opened. The path became slippery, and we were all soaked, the humans right the way down to the skin! We got more and more despondent. We are about to walk past the ancient coaching pub near us an hour later. They were advertising mulled cider, and we knew the fires would be lit in the huge old fireplaces. I looked at my husband, who said, "let's" the pub was all I hoped it would be and more. The walk was all I hoped it wouldn't be and more. So I have now changed my mind about walking in the winter when the weather appears to be good. Instead, I will cut out the middle man and head straight for the pub :lol:
Aditi Mehta 1
Premium Member

Post by Aditi Mehta 1 »

This is an amazing question. The last time I changed my mind about something significant was when I completed my high school. I used to think about my career all the time and forgot to live in the present moment. Now that I am in college, I focus on enjoying my college life and not think too much about my further career decisions.
Surabhi Rani
Premium Member

Post by Surabhi Rani »

One week ago, I was thinking about applying for a second job. After giving a good deal of thought to this question, I decided that I was already working hard on my current projects and needed to give enough time to the possibilities open to me. So I made the right decision to work on my older projects rather than seeking to add a new one to my list.
Tabitha Hennagan
Premium Member

Post by Tabitha Hennagan »

I changed my mind last month about reasons to leave a marriage. I have always felt that adultery was a definite reason to leave and divorce. I recently changed my mind as I have spoken to couples that have experienced cheating and stayed together because of their extensive history together. I learned that giving up on 10, 20, and 30 year relationships is harder than most people care to understand. After that extensive time together, sometimes it's better to stick with what you know and forgive versus leave and attempt to rejoin the single community.
Hager Salem
Premium Member

Post by Hager Salem »

I'm always open to new ideas, and if you talk to me in reason you can convince me easily. I'm currently reading a book that discusses the idea of civilization and how we are living a life that's subjected to many rules what we didn't agree to in the first place. This got me thinking.
Shondranika Ford
Premium Member

Post by Shondranika Ford »

Scott wrote: December 6th, 2022, 5:16 pm This is a discussion forum topic for the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together is a book that celebrates and encourages diversity, freedom, and open-mindedness.

In that vein, I have three questions for you:

1. When was the last time you changed your mind about something very significant or noteworthy?
September 2022

2. What was it?
Decided to leave hospital and go into government pharmacy.

3. What caused you to change your mind?
Pay, of course, but peace of mind with less stress, moving out of state, better opportunities.

These are not rhetorical questions. I am genuinely curious to know your answers.

AkshiP
Premium Member

Post by AkshiP »

I wanted to go study abroad for college, I had even gotten accepted to a few, but I had to change my mind because it would have been too expensive and my parents were worried for me.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream