The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of...

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of...

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of having inner peace and happiness in the present, right here right now.

The vice versa is also true: sacrificing inner peace now for the sake of the imagined future tends to lead to an unhappy future too.

You are always in the present, meaning the here and now. It is only ever here and it is only ever now. Thus, if you build a habit of valuing the future over the now, and thereby choose to lack inner peace in the now, you always lack the happiness of inner peace because you always be in the now.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Re: The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of...

Post by Sushan »

Happiness is relative. One may see happiness as having a peaceful life while another seeing happiness as having a lot of money. One can be happy with what he/she has already have in the present, and can develop the habit of being happy while eexperiencing inner peace. But someone else will decide to work hard today to be happy tomorrow. Maybe he/she will be unhappy forever in his/her present. But someday he/she will reach that future, and it will be the present, which is the happiness and inner peace for him/her. So the habit should be decided depending on one's definition on inner peace and happiness.
If you find love and your true loving nature in a temple, then please keep going to the temple. If you find it volunteering at a food pantry, then please keep volunteering at that food pantry. If you find it by fostering kittens, then please keep fostering kittens. If you find it on the dance floor, then please keep dancing. If you find it on the canvas with a brush in your hand, then please keep painting.
Page 97
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
meadowsem
Premium Member

Re: The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of...

Post by meadowsem »

The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of... gratitude. I believe we can program our brains to see the positive instead of the negative through a daily practice of affirmations around gratitude.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Scott wrote: November 8th, 2022, 5:04 pmThe most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of having inner peace and happiness in the present, right here right now.
meadowsem wrote: January 25th, 2023, 4:23 pm The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of... gratitude.
I agree insofar as you would also say that the most effective way to get to enjoy the true happiness of inner peace in the present is to practice the habit of gratitude in the present.

That is because if you are treating inner peace and gratitude as mutual corollaries of each other, such that one cannot be gracious without having inner peace and vice versa, then you and are saying the same thing that I am with different words. I do not disagree and cannot disagree if we are saying the same exact thing.

In contrast, choosing gratitude in the present over inner peace in the present (a.k.a. 'true happiness' in the present) as a means to hopefully have inner peace (i.e. true happiness) later in the future is not something that I would endorse, and is something the book talks about in detail in terms of future idolization and being in a toxic and/or abusive relationship with the future self.

Thank you for your reply and for sharing your thoughts! :)
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Samantha Barnes 3
Premium Member

Post by Samantha Barnes 3 »

The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of accepting what is. When someone accepts their reality and lives in the moment, they stop stressing about what could have been and what will be. When they stop stressing about these things, then they will find inner peace.
Surabhi Rani
Premium Member

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I think building the habit of having inner peace and happiness in the present is the outcome of the experience of one's true self at a certain phase of his or her evolution. It is possible in the right atmosphere when the right time comes. Even the right opportunity plays a role in discovering our true sense of being. Sacrificing inner peace now for the sake of the imagined future is the result of an ambitious and over-dynamic personality.
Pauline Parnell
Premium Member

Post by Pauline Parnell »

True happiness can only comes from within as persons are happy with various things. What makes you happy may be be different from what makes me happy. Gratitude is the end result of happiness. When you are happy then you can be truly grateful to others around you and to God himself.
Aditi Mehta 1
Premium Member

Post by Aditi Mehta 1 »

The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of being grateful towards everything you have in life. Only then you can feel satisfied with your life. The feeling of satisfaction ultimately leads to a happy life.
Bertha Jackson
Premium Member

Post by Bertha Jackson »

Scott wrote: November 8th, 2022, 5:04 pm The most effective way to get to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future is to build the habit of having inner peace and happiness in the present, right here right now.

The vice versa is also true: sacrificing inner peace now for the sake of the imagined future tends to lead to an unhappy future too.

You are always in the present, meaning the here and now. It is only ever here and it is only ever now. Thus, if you build a habit of valuing the future over the now, and thereby choose to lack inner peace in the now, you always lack the happiness of inner peace because you always be in the now.
After reading your book, I realized I needed to focus more on my life today rather than the past or the future. I cannot change the past, and the future has not happened yet. Sounds simple, but sometimes this can be difficult. I know I am content with my life today, but as prices increase, I worry about the future. I should not do this because most things always work out over time. I have lost count of the number of times I have read your Suggestion Nine (Let go of future idolization. Embrace the present.) because it puts me back on track.
Meghan Soderholm
Premium Member

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Happiness is all about perception and gratitude. I learned this the hard way when working in my pervious job where my co-workers always complained, had nasty tones, and were using their negative energies on situations they could not control. When toning them out does not work, I always have a plan B in place therefore, the job will get done giving everyone else the environment to move on and calm down. When you are calm, it brings you closer to inner-peace no matter how everyone else is reacting around you.
OTrain M
Premium Member

Post by OTrain M »

You couldn't be more accurate. We spend a lot of time remembering our past, musing over our future, both of these which are not here. So we waste up present-day's time because of something that has happened and that hasn't happened. That is not happiness. Once we take this day in and appreciate it all, remembering that what happened can't be changed, we can be happy. But of course we should be mindful how our happiness now doesn't taint our future.
Mounce574
Premium Member

Post by Mounce574 »

I know I cannot change the past, and I am not promised tomorrow because tomorrow will never be felt today. Living in the moment and appreciating what I feel right now is the best that I can do. It lowered my anxiety level and helped with my depression by doing this. Dwelling on my past, I seemed to focus on the bad things that happened; thinking of the future without having a broad goal had me worrying about what I should do the next day. The worry wasted my time because I would sit and my mind would spin in circles for hours. I am a person who used to write lists for everything. If I planned my day down to the minute, I never accomplished anything.
"Facts don't care about your feelings." Ben Shapiro
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." NF from Motto
Amarachi Nzeakor
Premium Member

Post by Amarachi Nzeakor »

We see this happen in everyday situations. For instance, more than 90 percent of people in medical college get in because of the money. To gather future wealth, the fail to enjoy the process, the here and now. In the end, what the system gets are grossly unhappy, worn out and sometimes improperly trained doctors.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Premium Member

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

For me, developing the habit of expressing gratitude is the most effective way to enjoy true happiness and inner peace in the future. I believe that by practicing gratitude affirmations on a daily basis, we can train our brains to see the positive rather than the negative.
abstactlemon
Premium Member

Post by abstactlemon »

Being present is a habit that I've had to consciously build, but now that I have, I'm able the appreciate and see a lot more good than I would have before. It's the exact thing I talked about with chosen optimism in the thread about already being in heaven.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream