Does Humpty-Dumpty say that we see our true selves only when we are broke?

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Sushan
Book of the Month Discussion Leader

Does Humpty-Dumpty say that we see our true selves only when we are broke?

Post by Sushan »

This topic is about the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Humpty Dumpty doesn’t need a surgeon. He simply needs to find himself.
(page 56 - Kindle version)

We have discussed about how to see one's true self by stripping him/her of his/her physical possessions, ego, and everything else.

But have Humpty-Dumpty been saying all this time to let ourselves to be broken and then we will see the true remainder of us; the true Self? Has that 'silly nursery rhyme' never been a silly nursery rhyme, but an opening to a great philosophical discussion? Does it become more easy to see our real selves when we are literally broke?
“There is only one thing a philosopher can be relied upon to do, and that is to contradict other philosophers”

– William James
Surabhi Rani
Premium Member

Re: Does Humpty-Dumpty say that we see our true selves only when we are broke?

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I like the point in the poem that 'All the king's horses, And all the king's men, Could not put Humpty Dumpty together again.' It portrays the state of utter helplessness that one is faced with when he or she feels broken on the spiritual path of his or her life. All the glory and magnificence of the world could not replenish Humpty Dumpty's state of existence when he fell off the wall. It is at this point of sheer hopelessness in our cycle of evolution that the secrets of the spiritual world are revealed to us.
Amlilui
Premium Member

Post by Amlilui »

This reminds me of the beautiful picture book After the Fall (How Humpty Dumpty Got Back Up Again) by Dan Santat. The nursery rhyme definitely leaves interpretation to the listener. I'd never heard anyone wax philosophical about it until I saw Dan's book, which echoes Scott's sentiment from In It Together. Humanity's desire for self-actualization cannot be accomplished in the trappings of ego; our hard, fragile shell. It is only in the transformation that comes from being shattered and realizing there's no going back that one might find salvation.
Knitkat
Premium Member

Post by Knitkat »

I don't think we have to be completely broken in order to see our true selves. I think there are ways to peel back the layers without falling apart, though I do think that when we have broken to pick up the pieces we need to find ourselves or there's no way to heal that is meaningful.
Tara D Morgan
Premium Member

Post by Tara D Morgan »

I don't understand this question and how it fits with Humpty Dumpty. The rhyme dates back to England in 1797 and is believed to have started as a riddle - What once broken can't be put back together again? - An egg!
Julie Gebrosky
Premium Member

Post by Julie Gebrosky »

Tara D Morgan wrote: January 29th, 2023, 10:26 am I don't understand this question and how it fits with Humpty Dumpty. The rhyme dates back to England in 1797 and is believed to have started as a riddle - What once broken can't be put back together again? - An egg!
I agree with you completely! I think you’re right. Otherwise it wouldn’t make sense because nowhere in the nursery rhyme is Humpy Dumpty identified as an egg. I remember reading somewhere a while ago about people speculating where we even got the notion that he was an egg. After all, doesn’t it seem odd that we would have an egg sitting on a wall that all the king’s horses and men would want to piece back together in the first place? Of course, he’s always depicted as an egg in drawings for some reason.
Amy Luman
Premium Member

Post by Amy Luman »

If you are talking about the fairy tale then I don’t really know what you mean. Humpty Dumpty is a fictional character with no real insight. However, if this is a comparison then I do think that people only see what is real about themselves when things don’t go according to plan. It’s easy to be content when everything is “as it should be.”
Sheilaread
Premium Member

Post by Sheilaread »

This is a very interesting concept of this rhythm. I’ve never thought of it this way before.

We do know that it’s often very true that we can’t begin to heal our brokenness until we reach a very low point. Usually there’s no one that can begin that healing process but us. We must reach up and out for help first. Then we find resources to help get the pieces put together and get us back on track.

This whole idea shows us that even if we seem to be failing at something, we must find ways to seek help. Not just stay in our sad and broken place.
Hubre De Klerk
Premium Member

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

I think this saying goes two ways - yes we do see ourselves more clearly once all the blinds are off from our eyes, but then we also see who are the true people in our lives. I do think it is sad that we need this "nakedness" to see ourselves more clearly, but in today's lives, we get so many "fake" people that try to follow the norm and what is popular out there, and they are too afraid of being themselves because of their impression they will create.
Shondranika Ford
Premium Member

Post by Shondranika Ford »

I love this section in the book because we are pretty much shells, masks, and any covering you can think of. Once we get rid of the outer self, we can broadcast our inner self - the REAL you.
book+lover-people
Premium Member

Post by book+lover-people »

When you are broken and at your absolute lowest point in life, that is the moment you realize what you're truly made of. Whether you choose to wallow in self-pity and focus on all the things that went wrong or you shrug and say that didn't work out, pick yourself up, put yourself back together, and try again. It is at this critical moment that you realize your potential.

You can have a million people offering to help you (literally all the king's horses and all the king's men), and yet none of it will help or mean anything if you are unwilling to help yourself.
Knitkat
Premium Member

Post by Knitkat »

Hubre De Klerk wrote: January 31st, 2023, 8:22 am I think this saying goes two ways - yes we do see ourselves more clearly once all the blinds are off from our eyes, but then we also see who are the true people in our lives. I do think it is sad that we need this "nakedness" to see ourselves more clearly, but in today's lives, we get so many "fake" people that try to follow the norm and what is popular out there, and they are too afraid of being themselves because of their impression they will create.

I think part of this is because when things are going well then they don't think about themselves or their true self. When things are going badly we tend to self reflect more.
BriahRay
Premium Member

Post by BriahRay »

I absolutely enjoyed this section of the book. I loved the idea of undressing ourselves. We love to categorize ourselves in these boxes and often have things that we have worked hard for that we are proud of. However, they do not define us and are not good explanations are to who we actually are when regarding our "true selves". For example, I went to school and graduated with my Bachelor of Science in Psychology, but that is more of a material achievement made by my "false self". Once taking off the material clothes of our souls (body, cars, degrees, money, etc), you are faced with the one true, non-superficial/material thing, which is your soul. I found it very true and believe that everyone should take time to focus outside of the worldly factors to become more intune with Self and understanding that we all have such a higher purpose than just working a 9-5 and becoming a slave to society.
Anna Hernandez 2
Premium Member

Post by Anna Hernandez 2 »

The concept of "true self" is complex and influenced by various factors such as personal experiences, cultural background, relationships, and more, so individual circumstances and experiences will influence the outcome. But, I do believe a majority of individuals feel that emotional distress and vulnerability can bring out their most authentic selves. Because your 'image' is broken, or breaking, and you need to once again figure out who you are and what defines you. From the time we are born to the time our bodies expire, we are constantly redefining ourselves as our personal experiences, cultural background, relationships, and more grow and evolve.
Sushan Ekanayake
Premium Member

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Maybe the Humpty Dumpty had said so. But most importantly, others see who we are when we are broke. Not only when we are broke, but we get back up the others judge us and label us.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters

Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
by Howard Wolk
July 2024

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side

Quest: Finding Freddie: Reflections from the Other Side
by Thomas Richard Spradlin
June 2024

Neither Safe Nor Effective

Neither Safe Nor Effective
by Dr. Colleen Huber
May 2024

Now or Never

Now or Never
by Mary Wasche
April 2024

Meditations

Meditations
by Marcus Aurelius
March 2024

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

The In-Between: Life in the Micro

The In-Between: Life in the Micro
by Christian Espinosa
January 2024

2023 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream