I have inner peace because I shamelessly know I do only what I want to do, and I don't ever do what I don't want to do.

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

I have inner peace because I shamelessly know I do only what I want to do, and I don't ever do what I don't want to do.

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

This is a discussion forum topic for the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All.

Consistent inner peace (i.e. what some would call "true happiness" or "nirvana") is obtained in large part by the combination of the following two facts:

1. When it comes to your choices, you always get exactly what you want, meaning what you choose.

2. Shamelessly knowing the above is true.

Nightmares don't need to be real to torture us, and--I believe--they never are. While #1 is always true for every conscious being, inner peace is sacrificed by the person who is deceived (typically via denial or self-deception) into not acknowledging its truth.

There is a great inner peace that comes with thinking--and knowing--that we are always getting exactly what we want (i.e. choose). There is a great loving consistent inner peace that comes with being able to honestly and proudly say, "I do only what I want to do, and I don't ever do what I don't want to do."

There is great inner peace in taking full responsibility for our choices by acknowledging our spiritual freedom.

Likewise, there is a loss of inner peace that comes with any illusion we are not getting what we want when it comes to our choices.

Those who have not read the book In It Together will likely misunderstand some of the above. This is because they won't be familiar with the concept of "The Two Yous" from the book.

For those who read the book, you will understand that I am talking about the real me when I say "I do only what I want to do, and I don't ever do what I don't want to do.".

If it is not a choice I--the real me--am making, then it is not something I am doing.

For example, in the sense of the real me, I don't beat my heart. My heart beats, but I am not the one doing it. In the same sense, if uncontrollable thoughts pop in my human brain, then that is not something I am doing. I consciously experience those things, but they aren't (always) something I--the real me--am doing. There is a difference between watching a movie, and making the movie. You are not so much the one who thinks the thoughts, but the one who hears the thoughts. When it comes to your mind's thoughts, you are not so much the speaker but rather the listener.

Whatever it is, if it is not in my control, it is not something I--the real me--am doing.

As another example, my body's feelings (e.g. pain, sensual pleasure, hunger, discomfort, etc.) are typically not something I am choosing and are typically not in my control. Like the verbal thoughts popping up in the brain, they are something I consciously experience, but not something I am doing. I am not my body's feelings. I don't do my feelings.

If the feelings and thoughts are the movie, I am generally one who watches that movie, but usually not the one making that movie. The choice to watch the movie is in some sense a choice you do make and thus is something you are doing; As the philosopher Albert Camus claimed, "There is only one really serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. Deciding whether or not life is worth living is to answer the fundamental question in philosophy."

I think life is worth living, very much so. Call it a proverbial movie or a proverbial roller coaster, but when I consider all the yin-yang-balanced ups and downs (e.g. comfort vs discomfort) that themselves balance out to a net zero, the sum--the yin-yang as a whole--is not zero, and is not less than zero. It is a net positive. It is better than any boring single-colored circle could be. Reality as a singular holistic whole is better than nothing. Nothing is boring. What many falsely imagine as heaven is boring, a boring nothingness where nothing happens, a boring single-colored circle. Reality as a whole, with its yin and its yang together, has a duality-transcending beauty and goodness that is not balanced in a yin-yang way and is not itself dualistic. It is the lovely one hidden behind the two, and made possible by the two, and by the way two play together. So, I repeat, I think life is worth living, very much so.

Choosing to live is something I am doing, and I know it, and I know I only do what I want, and that too brings great inner peace.

Like all of us, the only thing I directly do is make choices. Granted, as a corollary of that, anything that is an intentional intended result of my choices in my present can be described as something I am doing and choosing. Anything that is not a matter of my choice is not something I am doing.

When it comes to my choices, I always get exactly what I want, meaning what I choose. And I know it, and thus I have inner peace.

Imagine you have the choice between A and B. If you choose A, then A it is. If you choose B, then B it is.

Thus, as I use the terms, if you have a choice between A and B, you get exactly what you want, meaning what you choose. If you choose/want B, you get B. If you choose/want A, you get A.

Thus, the fact is that, like me, "you only do what you want to do, and don't ever do what you don't want to do." That fact is always true. But inner peace comes not only from the truth of it but also from proudly and lovingly knowing that it is true. One is given to you whether you like it or not; the other is there for the taking simply via the choice to be honest.

However, as humans, we are very good at generating all sorts of smoke and mirrors. These deceiving smoke and mirrors make the simple seem complex. Those deceiving smoke and mirrors can make the logically undeniable seem counter-intuitive or somehow untrue. Those many deceiving smoke and mirrors can make it seem like we are not getting what we want (i.e. choose) when it comes to our choices, even though we absolutely do. Those kind of deceiving smoke and mirrors can make even the most heavenly heaven seem like a hell.

Miserable self-deceivers lacking inner peace will be miserable even in the most heavenly of heavens.

Inner-peace-stealing illusions can come in many forms, and typically must be a form of self-deception (i.e. dishonesty or denial). The textbook alcoholic might say, "I want to maintain my sobriety, but I need a drink; I have to have a drink." I say that's all nonsense, and that kind of nonsense makes the truly simple seem falsely complex.

Alternatively, he might with terrible inner-peace-stealing shame say, "I ought to not drink", as he lifts the drink to his mouth. I say that's all nonsense, and that kind of nonsense makes the truly simple seem falsely complex.

He might say, "I don't want to take a drink right now, but I am a slave to the alcohol," as he lifts glass to his mouth. To the degree he is right, he lacks what I call spiritual freedom.

He might say, "I don't want to take a comforting drink right now, but I am a prisoner to the comfort zone that for me is alcohol," as he lifts the glass to his mouth. To the degree he is right, then he lacks what I call spiritual freedom.

But, in an important sense, as I explain in the book, such a lack of spiritual freedom is always at some level an illusion, or at least the result of illusion, and typically such illusions are generated by or enabled by dishonesty and lying to oneself. Voltaire said, "Man is free at the moment he chooses to be."

For those who have very loud talkative minds, or who are not practiced in the art of meditation, there may be even more smoke and mirrors to see through, or the smoke and mirrors may in a sense be that much harder to see through.

Regardless, all smoke and mirrors aside, the simple and logically undeniable reality is that when it comes to our choices we always get exactly what we want, meaning what we choose, and with everything, it is what it is. Nothing real is worth resenting. Nothing unchangeable 'ought' to be different than it unchangeably is, so much so that I think of even the word 'ought' itself as meaningless nonsense, just one of many unreal nightmarish smoke and mirrors that can make one miserable in this heavenly beautiful reality in which we find ourselves. It is a heavenly beautiful reality that--for the honest--warrants nothing but unconditional duality-transcending love, appreciation, and inner peace.

In reality, life is so worth living. I am so happy this beautiful eternal reality exists rather than nothing. That happiness is true happiness. And that is inner peace.

---
The book is available for purchase from all major book retailers in both ebook and hardcover format.

View on Barnes and Noble | View on Amazon | View on Books-A-Million | View on Bookshelves

My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Donna Walker 1
Premium Member

Re: I have inner peace because I shamelessly know I do only what I want to do, and I don't ever do what I don't want to

Post by Donna Walker 1 »

For those who read the book, you will understand that I am talking about the real me when I say "I do only what I want to do, and I don't ever do what I don't want to do.".

I've always said, "If it ain't fun, don't do it," and that is how I live my life. I just realised that it is a different way of wording the same thing. Doing only what I want does give me great inner peace.
Donna Walker 1
Premium Member

Re: I have inner peace because I shamelessly know I do only what I want to do, and I don't ever do what I don't want to

Post by Donna Walker 1 »

There is so much to unpack here. I feel like you wrote this directly for me!

"There is only one really serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. Deciding whether or not life is worth living is to answer the fundamental question in philosophy."

I have been there. Being so low that you are contemplating suicide is not a good place to be, but it is also the best place to be at that time. I say this because without that moment in my life, I would not have made the choice to change and seek the help that I needed. 

"Miserable self-deceivers lacking inner peace will be miserable even in the most heavenly of heavens."

I deceived myself about my alcohol problem for many years. I made many choices to stay in my misery. 

He might say, "I don't want to take a drink right now, but I am a slave to the alcohol," as he lifts glass to his mouth. To the degree he is right, he lacks what I call spiritual freedom.

I 100% lacked spiritual freedom. My life was ruled by the next drink. 

"But, in an important sense, as I explain in the book, such a lack of spiritual freedom is always at some level an illusion, or at least the result of illusion, and typically such illusions are generated by or enabled by dishonesty and lying to oneself. Voltaire said, "Man is free at the moment he chooses to be."

Having lied to myself for many years, I finally reconnected with my higher power and broke free from the chains of alcohol, only to discover that alcohol was not my real problem. I was! The biggest issue was a lack of awareness that I can choose to be in control of my life. 
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
Premium Member

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

I cannot say I disagree with you. I choose to go to work to make money in order to pay the bills. I choose to do extra work to get extra money in order to afford a mediocre living. And I choose to read and write and listen to music, making time for my hobbies and my friends.
I have never chosen to look back and wonder what it might have been if...whatever. I am content with what I am and what I have.
But...even if I choose to live as healthy a life as possible, my mind and body sometimes remind me of my age and then my inner peace is shattered.
Pauline Parnell
Premium Member

Post by Pauline Parnell »

You only do what you want to do, is a great adage. But regrettably, not everyone can say that. Every fiber of my being wants to go on from my present situation, yet I am constrained from doing so by others. The explanation is that going through this experience is a turning point toward a higher calling. I have hope that things will get better if I can just hang in there a little bit longer. I'm hoping it comes true. Things are pretty challenging right now. Thus, in reality, I do what I don't want to do for other people's benefit.
Cheryl Erickson
Premium Member

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

It took me a long time to reach this place in life. I was a people pleaser and a "yes" girl. Along the way, I have learned to stop trying so hard to please others by doing what they want and now, I am intentional about doing what is best for me. What do I want to do? It is okay to say no to people. I also learned that when you say no, you don't have to explain why. I was in a bad habit of sharing too much information. I can honestly say that I feel inner peace when I shamelessly do what I want to do and don't do what I don't want to do.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Premium Member

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Scott wrote:When it comes to my choices, I always get exactly what I want, meaning what I choose. And I know it, and thus I have inner peace.
Exactly! Life is a choice. Whatever you choose, that's what you get. For instance, when I chose to work from home, then that's what I've got and I have inner peace because I live what I want to do. I am joyfully live the choices I made.
Chris Alex Powell
Premium Member

Post by Chris Alex Powell »

There is joy that comes with having control over our lives. I have been coerced into making decisions I did not want for myself simply because I felt that I should and not because I could. I didn't want to, but I felt I had to do it. There is a form of peace that comes with having control over our actions, and I have come to realize that. I am on my journey to consciously making decisions and taking my desired actions.
Jack King 2
Premium Member

Post by Jack King 2 »

I find a lot of my inner peace comes from my faith in God. Underpinning what if happening around me have that one certainty in life (and death) brings me peace.
Tosin-Le
Premium Member

Post by Tosin-Le »

Yes, I agree with that statement. My mental health is very important to me. Hence, I only allow things and people with positive energy into my circle. This has made me to have inner peace.
Marina Flisvou
Premium Member

Post by Marina Flisvou »

It's clear from your thoughtful perspective that you've found a deep sense of inner peace and contentment through the realization that you always get what you choose. Embracing this truth and taking responsibility for your choices can indeed lead to a profound sense of happiness. The notion of life's yin and yang balance as a source of beauty and meaning aligns with my belief in the value of embracing the full spectrum of human experience.
Sargam Talreja
Premium Member

Post by Sargam Talreja »

I agree with the notion that our life outcomes are the consequence of our level of awareness and the choices we make. The significance of inner peace is immeasurable. It originates from our capacity to accept and embrace our current circumstances, empowering us to navigate life with a mindful and purposeful approach.
Kutloano Makhuvhela
Premium Member

Post by Kutloano Makhuvhela »

When you make a choice, already you have invested all in that action. So yes, your two points are right. When we are deliberate with our actions, we are going to reap the results of what we have invested, and this starts from our minds, heart, and what we tell ourselves.
Oscar Zereta
Premium Member

Post by Oscar Zereta »

This is actually true. I learnt about this the hard way. The more you stop thinking about what others think about you the more closer you get to achieving peace. Trying being yourself and see how happily you will be. All my life, I have tried to please people so they can see that I'm making and effort but the more I tried, the more I became uncomfortable with it.
Chioma Oz
Premium Member

Post by Chioma Oz »

The less you worry about others' opinions, the closer you come to finding inner peace. Embrace your true self, and you'll discover greater happiness. Shalom!

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream