Human zombies

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Abby Young 2
Premium Member

Re: Human zombies

Post by Abby Young 2 »

I agree with what you're saying. Maybe a good way to start finding your true self if to start loving for today. Don't hold onto a sticker because you don't want to wast it. Don't give someone a rain check when they ask you to go out woth them, one day they won't be able to ask you, all you'll have are countless rain checks. So maybe if you can't find yourself try being less of a zombie.
Cheryl Erickson
Premium Member

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Looking back and obsessing about past mistakes can lead to regret and depression. Concentrating on the "what ifs" of the future and the unknowns of tomorrow will not bring peace. Absently following the decisions of others doesn't necessarily lead to happiness because those may not be the right decisions for your own life. Skip the zombie behavior! I agree that living in the present and focusing on your true self will lead to peace and happiness.
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

Post by Rat de bibliotheque1 »

It is a balancing act between being able to enjoy the present and being able to look back at the past. The past is important as our lives are filled with happy moments. We can also learn from our mistakes. So, we cannot ignore our past and the people who shared our past and have passed away. It is important to remember and celebrate our loved ones. We must try and lead the best life for ourselves and even if we can listen to other people’s advice, I agree with you that it may not be the best advice for us. We are all different and expect different things from life.
Kelsey Roy
Premium Member

Post by Kelsey Roy »

Living in the moment is something I struggle with on a daily basis. I often find myself looking back at even the smallest and most inconsequential actions and questioning my motivations and effectiveness. I also find myself using moralizing language and criticizing my intentions. Since reading this book, I have made a conscious effort to live in the moment and stop telling myself I “should” have done something differently!
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

The author of the book said not to use “should” for ourselves or for others. It can be extremely difficult and something to work on! Life gets complicated. I like looking at past events and looking to the future can be exciting, not just a cause of anxiety.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Premium Member

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

Rat de bibliotheque1 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 5:27 pm In It Together is a book that reminds us that we need to find our true self if we want to reach happiness. It seems increasingly difficult these days to find spirituality. I liked the reference to people resembling human zombies, struggling to find their true self. Living in the present is not an easy thing to do but we should all aim at being in the moment and not worry so much about the future.
To worry, we stop living. In everything, we can find joy/happiness if we chose to. For instance, when you do dishes, what it is that you found it joyful? You can see a rainbow in the bubbles. In other words, there's always good in everything. There are always joyful moments, it is by changing how we see. If we worry, we lose the present moments because we focus on the future, we think what it isn't now. Worries don't help us, it ruins us. So, lets stop worrying, and start living, as Dale Carnegie said.
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

This is very true. Worrying will not help us achieve happiness. However, we can look to the future with hope and excitement. The future is not always a source of worry, it all depends on our outlook on life. It is again, the right balance between enjoying the present in the simple things in life, and looking at the past with fond memories, and finally considering the future with hope and excitement. A fine balancing act!
Nancy004
Premium Member

Post by Nancy004 »

Finding our true selves and living in the present isn't always easy. We're constantly bombarded with distractions and worries about the future. It takes effort to break free from that cycle and embrace the moment. However, it's definitely worth it. When we can let go of all the noise and be fully present, we can experience a deeper sense of happiness and fulfillment.

So, yeah, I agree with the book's message. We need to make a conscious effort to find our true selves, be present, and not get caught up in the worries of the future. It's about living life to the fullest and finding that inner peace.
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

This is the exact message of the book, although reaching inner peace by living in he present and only in the present is a true skill. It is a skill that only can be achieved by practise. I believe meditation is a way to achieve this.
Susan Sadiq
Premium Member

Post by Susan Sadiq »

I agree with you. Looking back causes depression when diving too deep, seeking to fix the unfixable. Looking forward causes anxiety, seeking to control the uncontrollable. Living now is freedom to love yourself and others without a tainted lens of the what was/what if.
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

Yes, living in the present is a good thing. But does it depend on what the present moment is like? It could be a happy moment but equally a sad and painful moment. Finding the right balance between enjoying the present, looking back at happy moments and looking to the future, is the key to a happy life.
brit
Premium Member

Post by brit »

This is very me right now. I am now like a zombie, always doing the same thing every day, the same routines, without any purpose. I feel bored right now and feel empty. I always find a distraction, something that attracts me, something that makes me excited to fill the holes in my mind. I even don't know what makes me happy anymore.
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

It is important to have interests and hobbies in life. New hobbies can be found (such as joining a reading club and writing reviews!), such hobbies can be developed at any stage in life.A hobby shared with other people may be a good idea, as people can make new friends and support each other. It could be an exercise class and people can set themselves a target, something to give you an incentive and make you proud of yourself; the challenge should be within your ability and achievable, so that you can succeed and gain in confidence.
Catherine Radford
Premium Member

Post by Catherine Radford »

Rat de bibliotheque1 wrote: January 25th, 2023, 5:27 pm In It Together is a book that reminds us that we need to find our true self if we want to reach happiness. It seems increasingly difficult these days to find spirituality. I liked the reference to people resembling human zombies, struggling to find their true self. Living in the present is not an easy thing to do but we should all aim at being in the moment and not worry so much about the future.
Whilst being a fan and seeing the obvious advantages of smart phones the increase and use of them social media has definitely contributed to this!
Rat de bibliotheque1
Premium Member

Technology has its drawbacks but the world is becoming increasingly technological, with social media being part of it. Social media is not all bad, we are of course using it for book reviews for instance! But used badly and excessively, social
media can have disastrous effects, especially on young people who tend to be influenced.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream