Page 150: "When it comes to your choices, you always get exactly what you want, meaning what you choose."

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Sugar Rush
Premium Member

Re: Page 150: "When it comes to your choices, you always get exactly what you want, meaning what you choose."

Post by Sugar Rush »

There are some predestined or predetermined choices. But I generally agree with the quote. For us to make a choice and to choose among options we deserve what we get however there are some choices that have been made for us which I think we also deserve.
José Cortez
Premium Member

Re: Page 150: "When it comes to your choices, you always get exactly what you want, meaning what you choose."

Post by José Cortez »

I believe that this may not be true in some instances. There are just some situations where things spiral out of our control, and we are left devasted about why and how it did not work out the way we had envisioned. However, I think that this statement covers this too. When we find ourselves in these situations, we still have the liberty to make choices that will affect the future, and if we decide not to do anything, it's still a choice.
Salah bourouba
Premium Member

Post by Salah bourouba »

More or less. Having what u want isnt always related to ur choices I would say having what u deserve is related to ur choices but it's not always what u want
NaghmaQ
Premium Member

Post by NaghmaQ »

I partly agree with this quote without going into the context given in the book. Sometimes people want different things which are contradicting each other. They may be forced to make a choice to make someone else happy, for example. Here what they want is to make someone else happy, which is what they choose, and then the quote is true here. But they would have wanted something else as well that they didn't choose for reasons.
ReviewsByChristine
Premium Member

Post by ReviewsByChristine »

This quote does well out of context. With many decisions in life there is no right or wrong, only a choice. Accepting the choice you made and living with the path life takes as a result is essential for happiness.
Chinemezu Okafor
Premium Member

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

I totally agree with this statement. I also don't think that one really has to read the book before understanding that statement. It literally means that we get what we choose. This is why it's good for people to consider the consequences of their decisions and choices before acting on them.
lec_nemanja
Premium Member

Post by lec_nemanja »

I think it is necessary to look at the context in which the sentence was written in order to fully understand it. I don't agree that when you unconditionally accept what you cannot control, you always get exactly what you want, because it seems to me like a choice of only those options that are left to us.
Sondang Hotmauli
Premium Member

Post by Sondang Hotmauli »

The quote suggests that our choices determine the outcomes we experience in life. It emphasizes personal agency and our ability to shape our realities. The elaboration further explains that accepting what we cannot control leads to attaining what we truly desire. By embracing the present moment and letting go of futile attempts to manipulate external circumstances, we align ourselves with the flow of life. Ultimately, the quote encourages us to cultivate acceptance and surrender, recognizing that our true power lies in choosing how we respond to uncontrollable aspects of life. While the quote carries meaning on its own, the book's philosophy provides a broader context for a deeper understanding.
jesse_voyamba
Premium Member

Post by jesse_voyamba »

I believe the above quote can start independently. The message is direct. Apparently, we have the right to make our choices and this is one attribute that distinguishes us from other animals. Hence, because we have control over our choices, we are responsible for the consequences of our actions - whether good or bad.
Susan Sadiq
Premium Member

Post by Susan Sadiq »

Life is a series of choices. I would have to agree with this statement. Looking at what you cannot control, you make the decision that will come out with what you want. Therefore, you always pick what you want.
Nicky Rita
Premium Member

Post by Nicky Rita »

You always get exactly what you want," not to endorse entitlement, but to highlight the power of conscious choice. Owning our decisions, even unpleasant ones, grants us freedom from victimhood and opens doors to personal responsibility.
Dana Youngblood
Premium Member

Post by Dana Youngblood »

I would have to agree with this statement. You choose what it is that you want in life. Your choices will decide what you get. I don't think you need much context to understand this statement. I am sure the context within the book will give a little more insight, but I feel that we can understand this statement on its own. Our choices lead to many different aspects of our lives. For example, if we want a healthy life, our choices have to follow this feeling. If our choices do not follow living a healthy life, then we will not have a healthy life. Essentially, we choose what we will have in life and we will get whatever it is that we want. We may not realize that our choices are pointing to what we want, but in the end, we cannot deny what is right in front of us from our choices.
Carolyne Ochola
Premium Member

Post by Carolyne Ochola »

Choices shape our experiences, define our paths, and influence our growth. However, not all situations offer genuine choices, as constraints or external factors can limit options. Balancing the understanding of choice with the recognition of external influences is crucial for navigating the complexities of decision-making in life.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream