To have hate in your heart is to be in hell.

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

To have hate in your heart is to be in hell.

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

This is a discussion forum topic for the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All.

In my earlier topic, Whether you are looking for a savior or someone to save, or both, look into a mirror. In that topic, I write, in part:

Scott wrote: December 9th, 2022, 6:22 pm Many times, people aren't really looking to be happy--meaning to have consistent inner peace--but rather looking for an excuse or scapegoat for their misery.

There's no shortage of unhappy people wanting to give you advice, if not put a literal or metaphorical gun to your head and force you to take their literally miserable advice and live by their literally miserable standards. Many would rule the world because they cannot rule themselves, at least not in a way that lets them be truly happy with inner peace.

[Read Full Post]

The false miserable idea that the world is awful and desperately needs to be saved--by any means necessary no matter how aggressively violent and brutal--is typically a symptom of the violent saver's own persistent deep-rooted misery, meaning their lack of the true happiness that is inner peace and spiritual freedom.

Once we see that, it becomes easier to understand how even the Nazis thought they were the good guys, whose ends justified their means. So too is it surely true of the brutal murderers committing brutal honor killings. The destructive bloody horror of what such a person honestly sees as 'doing good ' reflects the spiritual misery in their own heart and the horrible self-created hell in which they themselves live.

I have hate in my heart for nobody. To have such hate in your heart is be in hell, and we see that miserable hellish hate manifest accordingly in people's actions. They don't just hurt those hate because to hate at all to hate reality itself as a whole; it's to look at the world as a timeless whole and say, "if this (i.e. timeless reality as an eternal unchanging whole) was created by a God, that God did bad job."

In some ways, I can sympathize with the most brutal most of all. I don't wish to be like them, but sometimes I can most easily say of them: Forgive them, for they know what they do. That is because, in a way, they are the most misguided. While it is mostly if not entirely self-created, they are utterly blinded by their own deep hellish suffering and their own lack of spiritual freedom. The miserable dominate the world because they lack self-discipline. The miserable want to dominate and control the world because the lack true self-determination.

In the words of Alan Watts, all the do-gooders are troublemakers.

For those who follow the teachings of my book, whether because they read it or just happen to otherwise, the opposite is the case. We have the consistent true happiness that is inner peace and spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline). Our loving free-spirited inner peace is reflected in our actions, our art, our kindness, and even our eyes. You can see it and feel it when you talk to one of us, or even when you sit in silence nearby. We have heaven in our hearts. Our cups overflow with it. We can't help but spill some of it on you.

With love,
Scott

---
The book is available for purchase from all major book retailers in both ebook and hardcover format.

View on Barnes and Noble | View on Amazon | View on Books-A-Million | View on Bookshelves

My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Damian Keyes
Premium Member

Re: To have hate in your heart is to be in hell.

Post by Damian Keyes »

I agree with your sentiments. In my life, I had to embrace inner peace instead of chaos. To carry around rage because of what someone did to you is only going to hurt you. I can admit that forgiveness has freed my soul from bondage. Now I'm properly able to live my life with that weight off my heart and mind.
Stoppelmann
Premium Member
Favorite Philosopher: Alan Watts

Post by Stoppelmann »

Hate involves an appraisal that a person or group is evil. While hate relates to other negative emotions, it also has some unique features, such as the motivation to eliminate the object of your hate. Revenge is often a part of hate, because the idea behind revenge is to want to hurt the person/group as much as you have been hurt by them. Instead of focusing on hate, it’s better to focus on positive emotions like love and compassion and work towards making the world a better place.

On the other hand, I hate the fact that there are predators in society, who prey on children and women, who exploit people and cause suffering, who react to love and compassion with contempt and more ill-will. I know it can be difficult to deal with these issues and that it’s natural to feel angry or frustrated. So, my hate is directed towards a situation rather than particular people, and wanting to rid society of this situation, rather than picking up the pieces after the damage is done, seems to be more productive than positive emotions.
“Find someone who makes you realise three things:
One, that home is not a place, but a feeling.
Two, that time is not measured by a clock, but by moments.
And three, that heartbeats are not heard, but felt and shared.”
― Abhysheq Shukla
Catalina Isabel
Premium Member

Post by Catalina Isabel »

Hate is such a strong word, and the feeling of hating someone feels like physical pain. It disrups our inner happiness. I think it's impossible to be at peace and still have hate in our heart. I do agree with you here.

We may dislike what someone has said or done, but not feel hate towards them. How other people act is their choice, but how we react is ours.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Catalina Isabel wrote: April 14th, 2023, 9:29 am How other people act is their choice, but how we react is ours.
Wisely said! :D
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Sophia_D_Ajayi
Premium Member

Post by Sophia_D_Ajayi »

This statement just reminded me of something that happened in 2020.
A childhood friend of mine betrayed me so badly. I was hurt. The love I had for her immediately grew into hatred. I hated her so much because I couldn't believe how much she fooled me for 7 years. I started nurturing that hatred. Anyone I met that knew her in some way, I'd immediately warn them about her. It got so bad that I started fantasizing about beating her up.

Unknown to me, I was beginning to turn to a bitter person because of the hate I had for her. It took me a while to finally realize how much damage that hate had caused. I had to start learning how to forgive and move on.

I'm glad I really forgave her and moved on, because I was gradually turning into a mean person.

There's really no positive outcome in holding grudges and nurturing hate. Just try to move on, you'll see how peaceful life can be.
Catalina Isabel
Premium Member

Post by Catalina Isabel »

Sophia_D_Ajayi wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 4:48 pm This statement just reminded me of something that happened in 2020.
A childhood friend of mine betrayed me so badly. I was hurt. The love I had for her immediately grew into hatred. I hated her so much because I couldn't believe how much she fooled me for 7 years. I started nurturing that hatred. Anyone I met that knew her in some way, I'd immediately warn them about her. It got so bad that I started fantasizing about beating her up.

Unknown to me, I was beginning to turn to a bitter person because of the hate I had for her. It took me a while to finally realize how much damage that hate had caused. I had to start learning how to forgive and move on.

I'm glad I really forgave her and moved on, because I was gradually turning into a mean person.

There's really no positive outcome in holding grudges and nurturing hate. Just try to move on, you'll see how peaceful life can be.
Wow, thanks for sharing that. It's great that you realised how negatively it was affceting you, and managed to move on. Very true that hate can hurt you more than it does the other person.
sam_rahman12
Premium Member

Post by sam_rahman12 »

Sophia_D_Ajayi wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 4:48 pm This statement just reminded me of something that happened in 2020.

I have similar experiences in many of my friend groups. Suddenly, I couldn't recognise my own friends or even myself. Hate changes people for the worse and brings out a different kind of negativity that doesn't just go away. Thank you for sharing your experience. It helps me further understand how awful it is to keep hate within you, only to become the worst version of you.
Yasmine M
Premium Member

Post by Yasmine M »

Hate is a strong feeling that doesn't just stay in someone's heart rent free. Hate consumes and nurture itself. People who hate others will find themselves being passionate about it. They will find themselves thinking most of their day about the thing or the person they hate, they will make plans and act on it. It is consuming, it is like an addiction. We must learn to forgive and let go. Indeed having hate in your heart is to be in hell.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
Premium Member

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

I agree with Scott's statement. I was married to someone whose main word was hate. He only saw enemies everywhere, he felt unjustly punished by fate, and he always felt miserable. He hated everyone except me, or maybe he sometimes hated me as well. I managed to keep my serenity against all odds. I kept saying that life is beautiful, that the people are nice and deserve to be loved. For a long while I succeeded in loving him. Then I broke up with him to preserve my inner happiness. There was no place for hate in my heart, there has never been. Hate is too strong a word. I can go on living only if I see the beauty in people, in nature, in everything.
Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder and I choose to see it.
NadiaBoateng
Premium Member

Post by NadiaBoateng »

When you harbor hate, you emanate all kinds of negative vibes like envy, strife, malice etc. All these strong emotions can keep you in stagnancy and backwardness. Hate is a strong emotion, the opposite of love. Love builds, but hate destroys. Let us be more loving in our everyday affairs.
Bright U
Premium Member

Post by Bright U »

Hate is such a terrible feeling. Allowing another person's existence control your emotions that much is such a miserable way to live life. It's probably worse than living in hell.
Sonia Gonzalez
Premium Member

Post by Sonia Gonzalez »

I agree with what you said. A long time ago, I went through some horrible things and I thought I was "over them", and that I was okay, but some events last year made me realize that I was suffering, not because of what I went through, but because of the anger and hatred I still felt.
Anil G
Premium Member

Post by Anil G »

Sonia Gonzalez wrote: May 28th, 2023, 5:36 pm I agree with what you said. A long time ago, I went through some horrible things and I thought I was "over them", and that I was okay, but some events last year made me realize that I was suffering, not because of what I went through, but because of the anger and hatred I still felt.
I hope you find your peace soon over the time and not just over come with the those things but find the inner peace with it, so that whenever you think about it you won't get angry or hatred feelings but genuinely okay feeling.
SEEK FREEDOM!
Anil G
Premium Member

Post by Anil G »

Hate is not just a feeling. Hate has a power to control a person, to do things which the person would not think about. Acceptance of hating is the first step a person can make to get relief from it and being good by working on it.
SEEK FREEDOM!

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream