Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
mrlefty0706
Premium Member

Re: Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

Post by mrlefty0706 »

I do believe there is a problem of evil in the world today. The killing of innocent Ukrainians by the Russians and the senseless killing of innocent people in America in mass shootings are definitely evil personified. This evil needs to be removed from society permanently.
Kirsten Schuder
Premium Member

Post by Kirsten Schuder »

That's a loaded question. Are there people who pursue evil things, entertain evil thoughts, do evil things to others? Yes, I believe there are people who embrace "the dark side" and do their best to bring harm to other people. In my mind, I think this is evil. However, if we look at those evildoers through the eyes of love, we realize that these people do not act evilly for no reason, just because they want to. Instead, they grow up in a condition of abuse, neglect, and more abuse, which influences them to act the way they do. What, then, is truly evil? Maybe it is simply some acting in absence of love, or acting the way they have been taught to behave. It could be that evil is a word that stereotypes the people who behave in a way that goes against society.
Sophia_D_Ajayi
Premium Member

Post by Sophia_D_Ajayi »

Evil is more predominant on earth than good. Saying there is no problem in evil is like agreeing to b be killed for no reason. There is evil in this world. And we as good people should always remember that and try to do as much good as we can.
Meghan Soderholm
Premium Member

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Scott wrote: February 16th, 2023, 10:39 pm
Meghan Soderholm wrote: February 6th, 2023, 12:19 pm As a Christian, I do agree that there is evil, and it does exist thanks to Satan. However, evil can be conquered and in certain areas of life not so strong and abundant. Evil does exist, there is no problem, and most importantly it does not have to be powerful.
Hi, Meghan Soderholm,

Thank you for your reply. :)

I love learning about different perspectives. I have a few questions for you, and I would love to receive and get to read your answers:

1. How do you define 'evil'?

2. Are the things you think are evil things that are in your control or things that are not in your control?

3. Are the things you think are evil things that you can change or things you cannot change?

In any case, I invite you to also reply in my topic, There is no "Is-Ought Problem" because there is no 'ought'. To me, it's the same concept, just in slightly different words.
To me, evil means anything that creates negative energy. This can mean anything from words, events, and actions that will negatively affect others and ourselves.

Some evil things are in your control, and some are not. YOUR words, actions, and events are in your control (i.e., social media posts on YOUR account, your reactions and responses to current events, and words others say). Actions, words, and events caused by others are not in your control (i.e., current events, scandals, and posts on social media by others).

Some you can change, and some you can't. Anything coming from you can be changed if you let it. You will never change other people unless they choose to change. There are also laws and rules made by others that are not always changeable, but you can voice concern for at least consideration, but change is not always guaranteed.

However, the number one way to potentially start change is to pray and leave it to God.

Thanks, Scott, for your questions! They had me thinking.
Surabhi Rani
Premium Member

Post by Surabhi Rani »

I agree with the fact that everything is fair and justified in this world as per the laws of karma or nature. I have heard the idea that everything happens in this grand scheme of creation with a purpose, and there is no anarchy in this universe. So, I agree with the thought that there is no problem of evil because there is no evil.
Thera reads
Premium Member

Post by Thera reads »

This is a philosophical and theological issue that questions how the existence of evil and suffering can be reconciled with the existence of a benevolent and all-powerful God.
Sargam Talreja
Premium Member

Post by Sargam Talreja »

I do agree that there is no problem of evil. Good and evil are human constructs that originate from within individuals. They are created and shaped by our perceptions, actions, and intentions. We have the capacity to make choices that lead to both good and evil outcomes. Concepts of good and evil are not attributed to divine creation.
Favour Ozone
Premium Member

Post by Favour Ozone »

In my perspective, there is no problem with evil. The power that an individual bestows on evil determines how it operates. If evil is viewed in a natural and good way, it is not a problem.
Chioma Oz
Premium Member

Post by Chioma Oz »

While I found agreement with certain aspects, there were also points of disagreement. Specifically, I don't share the belief that evil doesn't exist, as I see evidence of its presence in our shared world. Although we may contribute to its existence, it's undeniably present, regardless of its origins.
Rendell Vosson
Premium Member

Post by Rendell Vosson »

This is a complex question because we all have our definitions of evil. What may be evil to one may be good to another person.
Paavni Jain
Premium Member

Post by Paavni Jain »

The problem of evil, a philosophical dilemma, questions the coexistence of omnipotent, omnibenevolent deities with the existence of evil. From a philosophical standpoint, diverse perspectives exist. Some argue that evil is a necessary part of free will and moral development, while others question the compatibility of an all-powerful, benevolent deity with the existence of suffering. The debate remains complex and subjective, intertwining theology, ethics, and metaphysics. My lack of personal beliefs means I don't agree or disagree, but the ongoing philosophical discourse reflects the nuanced exploration of fundamental questions about the nature of existence and morality.
Mara Valentina
Premium Member

Post by Mara Valentina »

The existence of evil is a complex and philosophical question that has been debated for centuries. I believe that the problem of evil is a real and important problem. It is something that we cannot ignore, and it is something that we must continue to wrestle with.
Okoth Omondi
Premium Member

Post by Okoth Omondi »

Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: December 15th, 2022, 6:33 pm This is a discussion forum topic for the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All.

I politely request that you only reply to this forum topic and question if you already read the whole book, since the book both explains what is meant by the claim "there is no problem of evil", and more importantly the book provides my reasoning and argument for the conclusion that there is no problem of evil.

In fact, the book contains an entire chapter titled, "There Is No Problem of Evil".

Among other important things, the text in that chapter states, "there is no problem of evil because there is no evil".

After reading the book, do you agree with that? Do you agree that there is no problem of evil?

---
The book is available for purchase from all major book retailers in both ebook and hardcover format.
One unique perspective on the problem of evil is the idea that challenges and hardships contribute to the growth and development of individuals and societies. From this viewpoint, evil or suffering is not solely a negative force but can serve as a catalyst for positive change and personal or collective improvement. This perspective suggests that overcoming adversity is an integral part of the human experience, shaping character and fostering resilience.
Vane Manyenga
Premium Member

Post by Vane Manyenga »

Some philosophers and theologians propose theodicies, which are explanations aimed at reconciling the coexistence of God and evil. These theodicies may emphasize human free will, the greater good that can arise from suffering, or the limitations of human understanding in comprehending the divine plan.

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream