Eckhart Aurelius Hughes AMA (Ask Me Anything)

Discuss the November 2022 Philosophy Book of the Month, In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes.

To post in this forum, you must buy and read the book. After buying the book, please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Forum rules
This forum is for discussing the book In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All. Anyone can view the forum and read the post, but only people who purchased the book can post in the forum.

If your purchase has not already been verified (i.e. if you don't already have access to post in this forum), then please upload a screenshot of your receipt or proof or purchase via OnlineBookClub. Once the moderators approve your purchase at OnlineBookClub, you will then also automatically be given access to post in this forum.
Davy Ifedigbo
Premium Member

Re: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes AMA (Ask Me Anything)

Post by Davy Ifedigbo »

As this section allows us to inquire about various topics, I am keen to learn more about you. Which university did you attend, and which course did you pursue there? Additionally, could you please provide the year of your graduation?

My primary inquiry centers around your motivation for establishing an online book club. As a young adult, I am eager to uncover the responses to these inquiries.
Surabhi Rani
Premium Member

Post by Surabhi Rani »

What is the name of the next book you are going to write? What are your upcoming writing projects? Do you have any plans for the future and strategies to accomplish those goals?
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

Hi, Davy Ifedigbo,

Thank you for your questions! :)

Davy Ifedigbo wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 10:12 am As this section allows us to inquire about various topics, I am keen to learn more about you. Which university did you attend, and which course did you pursue there? Additionally, could you please provide the year of your graduation?
Great question! Here's the answer: I never attended college at all, not even a single course or semester.

Davy Ifedigbo wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 10:12 am My primary inquiry centers around your motivation for establishing an online book club. As a young adult, I am eager to uncover the responses to these inquiries.
I wanted to be able to chat about books I had read recently with other people who had read the same book. This was back before iPhone or Kindle had been released. Nowadays it's common for one to hop online and chat with a niche community about interest.

In real life, if I just read a book, the odds that any random person would have read it recently, or even at all, was low. So there was nobody to talk about it with. But with the internet, and especially my idea of OnlineBookClub, I could easily hop online and instantly be connected with other people who read that exact book and chat about it with them.

Nowadays, if you want to chat with people about something very specific (e.g. a certain book you read, a certain motorcycle you might want to buy, a certain video game, etc.) is easy and common to do. But at the time it I was slightly ahead of the curve in creating OnlineBookClub.

For example, I created OnlineBookClub before Goodreads was created.

Thank you,
Scott
a.k.a. Eckhart Aurelius
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Surabhi Rani wrote: May 24th, 2023, 1:19 am What is the name of the next book you are going to write?
In It Together might be last

However, I am going to release a slightly updated edition soon, and then an audiobook. I also want to create translated versions of In It Together in several other languages.

I did also propose an idea to write a book with a title like Time is Not Real: An Easily Understood But Rigorous Scientific Explanation, and put it up to vote via retweet on Twitter, but so far it only has 8 retweets, so I don't think I'll do it, unless it gets a lot more retweets. 1,000 retweets, and I will probably do it. Anything less, probably not.

Surabhi Rani wrote: May 24th, 2023, 1:19 am What are your upcoming writing projects?
Other than what I've mentioned above, I mostly only journal now, both prose and poetry. If anything is good enough to share, I just post it online using either (1) social media, (2) the In It Together Discussion Forum at OnlinePhilosophyClub, and/or (3) the the Creative Original Works: Poetry Forum at OnlineBookClub.

To partly answer your next question, I don't have a goal to journal or write, so I also don't have or need a strategy to accomplish it. It happens on its own, much more like a burp or sneeze. In fact, a sneeze is a great analogy because I can kind of hold it in if I choose to, but there's just a great relief when I let it out.

A big reason I like to write and journal is simply to get the words out of my head so my head can be emptier and my mind can be clearer. This goes even things like to-do lists and my calendar. I do not try to remember my to-do list or events calendar. If anything, I actively do my best to forget them when I write them down, and I write things on my to-do list or calendar precisely so I don't have to walk around having my head crowded with all sorts of repeated thoughts like, "Today I want to do X, and also Y, and also Z, and I have deadline for A coming tomorrow to worry about, and oh yeah I need to pick my dry cleaning, etc. etc. etc.".

With my pen, I delegate my thoughts to the page, so I don't have to deal with them.

Surabhi Rani wrote: May 24th, 2023, 1:19 am Do you have any plans for the future and strategies to accomplish those goals?
Well, as preface, my favorite fiction book Of Mice and Men, the title of which is taken from a poem that includes the line, "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

I do set goals and plan out strategies, but I don't get attached to the plans. That's, for many reasons, but one is so that I can stay nimble and adapt as needed, so to speak.

With that said, I do still have a goal to fulfill my promise to do my book tour. My goal is to have that fully planned out by July 15th, and then fully complete the whole tour within a year or so at most. To get there, I do want to first release the aforementioned 3rd Edition and audiobook.

There's many steps on my plan for that but one is that I want to either hire one overall tour manager to mange the tour, or hire a person at each and every to manage the book tour in that spot. I can choose dates and buy plane tickets and get myself to the airport and then attend and do whatever it is author's do on a book tour, but I can't do all that and then also play the role of tour manager and planner, especially since I'm not familiar with the locations I will be attending.

I am also working on some software for my mentoring program that will be scalable and ideally serve as an all-in-one productivity app for all sorts of people and purposes, not just to facilitate mentor/mentee relationships.

Finally, I have a goal to use my mentoring program to also partner with 12 people over the next year to start 12 different companies. I cannot be a CEO of 12 different companies, but I can mentor and partner with 12 individuals who can each be the CEO of their own company, and so that's my goal. :)

Thank you,
Scott
a.k.a. Eckhart Aurelius

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Melissa Jane
Premium Member

Post by Melissa Jane »

Eckhart Aurelius Hughes wrote: May 25th, 2023, 2:03 pm Hi, Davy Ifedigbo,

Davy Ifedigbo wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 10:12 am As this section allows us to inquire about various topics, I am keen to learn more about you. Which university did you attend, and which course did you pursue there? Additionally, could you please provide the year of your graduation?
Great question! Here's the answer: I never attended college at all, not even a single course or semester.

Davy Ifedigbo wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 10:12 am My primary inquiry centers around your motivation for establishing an online book club. As a young adult, I am eager to uncover the responses to these inquiries.
I wanted to be able to chat about books I had read recently with other people who had read the same book. This was back before iPhone or Kindle had been released. Nowadays it's common for one to hop online and chat with a niche community about interest.

In real life, if I just read a book, the odds that any random person would have read it recently, or even at all, was low. So there was nobody to talk about it with. But with the internet, and especially my idea of OnlineBookClub, I could easily hop online and instantly be connected with other people who read that exact book and chat about it with them.

Nowadays, if you want to chat with people about something very specific (e.g. a certain book you read, a certain motorcycle you might want to buy, a certain video game, etc.) is easy and common to do. But at the time it I was slightly ahead of the curve in creating OnlineBookClub.

For example, I created OnlineBookClub before Goodreads was created.

Thank you,
Scott
a.k.a. Eckhart Aurelius
Hi,

Thank you for sharing this. Since you're answering personal questions, I also have a few: I read that you created OnlineBookClub at 19. Did you learn web programming in school or was it self-taught? I also read that so many people, including Mark Zuckerberg, had initial startups that didn't do very well before Facebook. Are there any startups that you created before or after OnlineBookClub that didn't do as well as you expected?

Have you ever done an author interview on Onlinebookclub? If so, can you share a link?

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Hi, Melissa Jane,

Melissa Jane wrote: May 25th, 2023, 3:14 pm I read that you created OnlineBookClub at 19. Did you learn web programming in school or was it self-taught?
It was self-taught.

Around the same time, I would even have some people I knew in real life sometimes offer to pay me small amounts of money to jazz up their MySpace page.

Melissa Jane wrote: May 25th, 2023, 3:14 pm I also read that so many people, including Mark Zuckerberg, had initial startups that didn't do very well before Facebook. Are there any startups that you created before or after OnlineBookClub that didn't do as well as you expected?
Not formally. In other words, I've never run a company that had to declare bankruptcy or even be sold off (at all, let alone for a loss).

I never took any outside investments or loans, but rather bootstrapped the whole thing. So even if OnlineBookClub had failed in the first 8 years, it probably wouldn't have caused me any long-term damage, let alone leave investors or loaners hung out to dry.

But, to this day, I start plenty of projects that flop or fail. I don't register them as formal companies or such. They fail too quickly to ever get off the ground.

For example, one time I started a blogger review program at OnlineBookClub. It never really worked well and eventually I to just shut it down.

To really answer your question, though, almost every project including all of my books and OnlineBookClub itself as a whole and any subventures within it never do as well as I hoped or anticipated. I may have never hit the moon, and likely and perhaps luckily never will, but in a way I'm always aiming there. In some ways, if I don't think I'll hit the moon, I don't even take the shot. Any time I go forward with a book or business or idea, at first I typically think it's the next big thing and will do thousands of times better than it ultimately does. :lol:

It may look like I was aim for the top of the fence and succeed, but I aim only for the moon. What some other people might consider success might be my worst case scenario, so to speak.

There's a wise expression: Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst.

Personally, I don't think much in terms of 'hope' at all because I see hope as synonymous with fear, so for me we could rephrase it as: Incorrectly anticipate the best, and prepare for the worst. That's kind of the story of my life. :lol:

My physical actions might often indicate a person who is conservatively strategic enough to know to not walk too far out on the ledge, but in my heart I still believe I can fly.

Melissa Jane wrote: May 25th, 2023, 3:14 pm Have you ever done an author interview on Onlinebookclub? If so, can you share a link?
Yes, here is the link:

https://forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=217356

:)

Thank you,
Scott
a.k.a. Eckhart Aurelius

Surabhi Rani
Premium Member

Post by Surabhi Rani »

Thank you, Sir, for all your initiatives! It was very informative and enriching to learn about your ideas and projects for the future. I appreciate your idea of translating your book, 'In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All.' Your idea of a book tour was greatly inspiring and knowledgeable. Also, I wish you all the best for the new app you are going to create for people from all walks of life. It feels really great to learn about such a platform being created for keen readers!
Alex Reeves
Premium Member

Post by Alex Reeves »

Hello Scott. Please I know this forum is for a completely different topic, but it would be my greatest pleasure if you could help me with something regarding my OBC account. I’m trying to change my PayPal. Can you help me with this? It would be great if you could sir.
Kathy Pierce 7
Premium Member

Post by Kathy Pierce 7 »

Hello, I did like your book and some of the Question too because it makes you wonder about that in today's world. Because in today's world, we have challenges about racists, but you could say Freedom and the left condemning you about it. You have started a very great book keep it up.
Marie Chalupova
Premium Member

Post by Marie Chalupova »

Hello,
I saw you recommend a lot of philosophical or self-help books, but is there any fiction book you would recommend? Maybe even some SFF book?
Kathy Pierce 7
Premium Member

Post by Kathy Pierce 7 »

Yes, James Patterson any of his books are good. I read his books too. I have read about History that is true events.
Kathy Pierce 7
Premium Member

Post by Kathy Pierce 7 »

Yes, a shot down is a history that is based on true events.
Limpho Mojakisane
Premium Member

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

How did you know you wanted to become an author? I don't know if I am asking this right..but what inspired your journey to write? Also, what advice would you give to someone who is thinking of venturing in the writing industry to also become a best selling author?
Kathy Pierce 7
Premium Member

Post by Kathy Pierce 7 »

I think when you become or thinking to write you have to be passionate about it when you write.
Stephen Christopher 1
Premium Member

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Hi Scott, in your book, you refer to 'enabling' as always being a bad thing. I've used it in the past as being a good and an evil act. I'm wondering though, if 'empower' is a better word to use when giving someone the ability to improve their life or do good. Is this your preferred word or is there a better one, and am I best to only use 'enable' in its negative form?

Return to “Discuss "In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All" by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream