Nominate books to be a philosophy book of the month

A forum for old votes and nomination threads
Wowbagger
Favorite Philosopher: Peter Singer _ David Pearce

Post by Wowbagger »

If you want to read more on the myth (yup) of the noble savage, I recommend 'The Third Chimpanzee' by Jared Diamond. But depending on how good and comprehensive Pinker's book is, some of it might be redundant..

If you have any questions regarding certain issues, just start a new thread and ask. I haven't read the book yet, but I have read a lot of similar books and I love sociobiology.
Hgfmh

List

Post by Hgfmh »

Thanks :). I will add it to my own personal book list. It's already quite long :). I remember taking a sociobiology class years ago, but the focus was on animal behavior. I recall asking what sort of studies had been done to determine genetic influences on human behavior. I don't remember the content of the vague response, but reading Pinker has brought to mind the smile with which it was delivered. I tried to look the professor up and ask some questions, but he is no longer living.

One question that has come to mind is really more of an anthropological/logistics question. It does not change the validity of Pinker's argument against the myth of the noble savage, but deals with the vagueness of the argument that some might use, poorly, to dismiss his point. He has a graph (p. 57) based on data taken from other sources comparing percentage of male death rates caused by warfare in order to illustrate that hunter/gatherer societies are not as peaceful as the myth suggests (according to the graph, the deaths are far higher for hunter/gather societies than the data he includes for US and Europe in the 20th century). However, he does not give the time period he is including for the hunter/gather societies, which could influence the numbers if it encompasses a small time period that contained an unusual historical event for a particular group, nor does he acknowledge (I think, I should re-read, though, to be sure) that modern medicine not accessible to hunter/gatherers could improve the survival of fighters in US and European modern battles. I do not at all argue his point that hunter/gatherer societies are just as violent as any societies that have existed. [I remember meeting a Navajo (Dine) elder some years ago that told me (translated by his grandson) that he got very tired of white people romanticizing his culture into one-dimension and not recognizing Native American were just as human and multi-faceted and flawed as any other group of human.] I just wonder if there's a better way to present the evidence or if I am not reading it correctly. I am in the process of trying to locate Pinker's original source for the graph.

It really is a fun book :).
Wowbagger
Favorite Philosopher: Peter Singer _ David Pearce

Post by Wowbagger »

If the data is statistically significant, as it should be if it's published, then the 'chance events' even out. That means enough hunter gatherer societies would have been analysed so the odds of the graph being distorted are reasonably low. Furthermore, in a short period of time, the graph may as well be too low if the period was comparatively peaceful.

Regarding modern medcine, that's of course true it did save a lot of lives. On the other hand, hunter gatherers don't have machine guns or atomic bombs to kill each other, so it kinda evens out. I think the technology is deliberately omitted, the death rates speak for themselves.
Ashesfrom420

Post by Ashesfrom420 »

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and this is my first post.. And with that being said if anyone could help me in anyway with the site and how it works that would be great..

As for my book recommendation where does one begin? I have so many books flying threw my brain begging to be chosen.. lol.. Well, I have to chose My Ismael By Daniel Quinn as it is truly one of my favorites. However, My favorite author is Thact Nicht Hanh anything you read of his is sure to inspire and enlighten you.

Thanks
BubbaD0g

Post by BubbaD0g »

Is this still a going concern? If so, where might I find the current list of books for discussion? Also, if the book club is still in existence, I would like to recommend The Feeling of What Happens: Body and Emotion in the Making of Consciousness, by Antonio Damasio. While I've not yet read it, I have read some of his other writings, and I find him highly accessible and probably one of the clearest voices in contemporary cognitive science. Also, it's a bit hefty at 335 pages plus endnotes (hardback edition), but he's not a difficult read, and quite engrossing.
ApsaraKamalli

Post by ApsaraKamalli »

Recently, self-published author, Ego Diabolus, released updated edition of “The Baphomet Codex.” For those of you interested in metaphysical philosophy, left-hand path, Satanism, Baphomet, the Fourth Way, and more, it is worth checking out!

Apsara Kamalli
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

The August book of the month will be Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do? by Michael J. Sandel.

BookCloseOuts has marked this down 68% and it is selling like crazy. I want to see what all the fuss is about.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Fekarp

Public domain classics

Post by Fekarp »

I think no philosophy book are more interesting than public domain classic philosophical works, which have changed the flow or history and by reading them, we can see what happened why.

I'm not a philosopher by profession, so I've not read Aristotle's Ethics & Politics
(these are originally one work),
so I'm going to read that soon. I think this is the most important philosophical book to read until I write my Ethics & Politics (of course, with another title :D ).

I'm sorry that Aristotle supported slavery; maybe if he could write his Ethics & Politics better, Christianity would not be so widespread now. By the way, I think feudalism was an inventition after Aristotle's Ethics & Politics.

So if you are interested in philosophical books, I suggest Project Gutenberg where you may find some classics.
athena
Premium Member

Post by athena »

If we did Aristotle, I would rather read Wheelwright's Aristotle, because this would give us a better bases for all other discussions, including discussions of God. Aristotle's Natural Sciences builds upon Pythagoras and Democritus and others. He gives clear form to the logic used for arguments. For darn sure, we stand to learn much about our world from Aristotle than from any German philosopher. This seems quite paradoxical to me, given the German fascination with technology.

Fekarp's suggestion that Aristotle invented feudalism, is most exciting and should be taken up in a different forum, which I shall begin. It goes with discussion of Scholasticism, and how the church changed its position on the classics, from rejecting them to using them to support the church's authority.
born to master the art of love
Prof

Re: Vote for the November 2011 philosophy book of the month

Post by Prof »

I nominate for December, 2011

Lisa Randall - Knocking on Heaven's Door. Especially the second half of it on scientific method and reason.

Here is a link to it and to 23 customer reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Knocking-Heavens- ... amp;sr=8-1
To learn more on ethical topics, check out these references:onlinephilosophyclub.com/forums/viewtop ... amp;t=6097
Stirling
Favorite Philosopher: Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: Nominate books to be a philosophy book of the month

Post by Stirling »

I nominate:

The Faith of a Heretic by Walter Kaufmann

Critique of Religion and Philosophy by Walter Kaufmann

Neurophilosophy of Free Will by Henrik Walter

The Enigma of Capital by David Harvey

The Ticklish Subject by Slavoj Zizek
"Live slow, die eventually, leave an indifferently attractive corpse. That's my motto." - David Mitchell

"By a sarcasm of law and phrase they were freemen." - Mark Twain
Joker
New Trial Member

Post by Joker »

The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

I have compiled the above nomination with a few of my own into the topic to vote for the January book. I have also created the topic to discuss the December book of the month, The Enigma of Capital.

Please continue to use this topic to post nominations for the philosophy book of the month.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
Blizzard

Post by Blizzard »

I nominate two books:

On Certainty- by Ludwig Wittgenstein

Discipline and Punishment: The Birth of the Prison- by Michel Foucault
MartinHarrison

Post by MartinHarrison »

"The Reality of Life & Death" by Stuart Mason (TvSuat), will amaze you! A little-known true story... 9/10

Return to “Old Book of the Month Votes”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream