Is Western religion destroying itself?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Edward J. Bartek

Is Western religion destroying itself?

Post by Edward J. Bartek »

Coming out of a Dark Age of no values, the Christian religion (1000 AD), with alomost pure spirituality, began the Medieval Age of theology. It denied rationality and observable fact,with 1/3 of population in monasteries and convents. the Humanistic rebellion against sensual corruption made the rational Renaissance Age of philosophy that accepted moderated religion and science. The Protestant rebellion againsdt sensual corruptin
made a pragmaitc Age of science that denied religion and philosophy. So religion and philosophy became "scientific" and adjusted to hedonisitic values withthe loss of all rational and spiritual values, by reversal or perversion. A common religion rises and fall with its civilization. So has it happened in the West?
pjkeeley

Post by pjkeeley »

I hope so. 8)
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

Unfortunately if a phoenix flies up from the flames he is likely to be another central power complex
willowtreeme

The poor Phoenix

Post by willowtreeme »

Belinda:

You wrote:

Unfortunately if a phoenix flies up from the flames he is likely to be another central power complex

Or ….

Hopefully after a few thousand years or so, the Phoenix would have gained some perspective. After all, how many years can this beautiful bird live without coming to awareness. The fact that it “throws itself into the flames” suggests some awareness of “death” and “rebirth” in its mind. To live out another existence starting as a baby phoenix again precludes some kind of willingness to learn, to be more aware.
wtm
Belinda
Premium Member

Post by Belinda »

I hope so too, willowtreeme. I dont remember the exact context of my phoenix remark, it was something to do with the apparently permanent predisposition of humans as species to form power-based societies that go to war with other societies, as with Russia and Georgia at present. If we are outsiders all we can do is try to stop the Russians who are the more powerful aggressors.

I wonder what nameless would say about there being an equal and opposite perspective to aggressive warfare.
willowtreeme

Post by willowtreeme »

To Belinda,

You said:

I wonder what nameless would say about there being an equal and opposite perspective to aggressive warfare"

I know you probably weren't actually looking for an answer and ----

I might be able to give my own version of what nameless might say in response to this, but as I only think with my brain, and not nameless's, I wouldn't try.

At the same time, my respect for him (or her) doesn't allow for my responding "for nameless"
Peace,
wtm
B4byC4rr0tz

Post by B4byC4rr0tz »

pjkeeley wrote:I hope so. 8)
Invictus_88

Re: Is Western religion destroying itself?

Post by Invictus_88 »

Edward J. Bartek wrote:Coming out of a Dark Age of no values, the Christian religion (1000 AD), with alomost pure spirituality, began the Medieval Age of theology. It denied rationality and observable fact,with 1/3 of population in monasteries and convents.
You can't open a post with that sort of nonsense and expect the rest not to be taken with a pinch of salt.
wanabe
Favorite Philosopher: Gandhi.

Post by wanabe »

I hope all religions that have waged wars, in the name of religion destroy them selves.

sadly this kind of imperialistic religion/belief will not go away, but simply change names.

does a phoenix remember or gain something when it dies? don't answer that, its pointless, well not practical.
Secret To Eternal Life: Live Life To The Fullest, Help All Others To Do So.Meaning of Life Is Choice. Increase choice through direct perception. Golden rule+universality principal+Promote benefits-harm+logical consistency=morality.BeTheChange.
mz

Post by mz »

Bah, organized religion has been the cause for so many troubles right now. The crazy islamic extremists waging "holy" war on the entire world, these "christians" protesting at funerals, the whole anti-gay rights movement you can thank religion for.

and I am absolutely irked beyond belief when I'm in philisophical debate, and someone cites the Bible as a logical source. Honestly do they even know where it originated? No offense to any christians who might be reading this, but I just totally disagree with the idea that "Life is SO simple, you can understand EVERYTHING by reading a really old book"

and most of these christian "philosophers" seem to be so big headed and sure of themselves, they are impossible to be reasoned with. They can't accept that life is far more complex than just getting answers from a Magical Book. It should be noted that most people who think they understand, probably don't.

The way I see it, just as the man who says he is wise is revealing exactly the opposite. I think it's sortof the same thing when someone claims to "understand god perfectly' and start speaking for god. THAT is audacious.

No book nor prophet holds God’s words, for God does not speak our language. We must learn to speak his.

I believe that god is reasonable, and therefore I have faith in reason, and I guess that's all I really need. I don't see why god would be the anthropomorphic entity people always try to make him out to be, all vengeful and jealous and what-not.

I think there is a certain irony to belief in god though. I think little children believe in god because they are naive (and some adults never grow out of this naive belief system), some people lose faith in their religion, and stop believing in god. But some people later on re-discover god, free'd from religion and the nonsensical anthropomorphic qualities, and I believe this to be the truest god. (or atleast close).

Bah, this might of been more than a rant. I apologize, this is one of those subjects that gets me fired up and angry. hah.
now that I re-read it all, I think this might not have anything to do with the topic (which actually didn't make much sense to me anyway), oh well. :/
I live my life in a dream; the constant threat of a rude awakening keeps me on my toes.
-Mettley Zimmer
df544

Post by df544 »

Reason cannot kill western religion but personal weakness can (in a capitalistic, free society).

It takes about two generations.

In America, first generation immigrants usually bring their religion with them and raise their children in a religion (the new wave are muslims). Those children grow up and experience their own desires put to the test. And guess what? They will indulge, but probably with some guilt. They will realize that the money in America are in the hands of the non-believers and progressive-believers.

By the second generation, the kids realize that you either stay poor by believing in a religion fundamentally, or you get wealthy by leaving it behind because no body hires religious fanatics or fundamentalists in America.

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream