Official website announcements are posted in this forum.

If you have questions, suggestions, or need support or help with anything, please email [email protected].
XTimeRemains

Post by XTimeRemains »

There's a feature on this forum where if one has made the last post and then makes another post, the next post is simply appended onto the last post with a "updated [date]" message.

This feature has some pros, but I see some cons with it as well. Here's the problem I just ran into:

I just posted a new reply to a topic that I had the last post on, but the last post I made was six days ago. The content I had in this new post was completely different and was in no way additional information to the last post. However, this next post was appended onto the last post I made six days ago. As a result, the post was not counted as a new post, and thus the topic was not bumped to the top of the board. This topic will now not be seen as recently posted to from the board perspective.

I can see the pros of this feature, how if someone wants to add a little extra information to their last post, rather than creating a brand-new post, the forum will automatically integrate the new information with the last post (as if the post had been edited). However, the draw backs are in my opinion much greater than the benefits.

Maybe this feature (of appending posts) can have a limit, of say an hour, or a few hours (the edit feature has a limit as well). If a post is posted within lets say 2 hours, it is appended, otherwise it is created in a brand new post so the topic gets bumped to the top of the board again.
MalkuthSamanera1

Re: New posts appending to last post

Post by MalkuthSamanera1 »

I concur with SexyBachelor above. Moreover, if I want to respond to two different people who have responded to the same initial post, it is easier for them to trace my replies if they are seperated rather than lumped together according to the time they were written.
Every statement contains some truth.
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

I believe responding to multiple people is more not less confusing when separating a post into multiple consecutive posts. For an example of a series of shorter replies to multiple people contained in one post, see this post. For a series of longer replies separated by asterisks, see this post. Even if there was something to be gained by making each part of those posts look like a different consecutive post by the same user, then I could achieve this with some kind of BBcode rather than by actually making the posts separated. But what is it exactly between two consecutive posts by the same user that makes it preferable or clearer than the linked posts? The re-display of the user's avatar, post count, and so forth? The re-display of the user's signature? The re-display of the post-buttons like the report button?

I could make it so editing the last post updates the post time and causes the topic to appear first in the list, when user's are using the default sort order. (Incidentally, the default sort order can be overridden on a per user basis in one's own control panel and any page can be re-sorted using the controls on that page.) I could also simply enable bumping, in which case the last person to post in a topic can bump it up to the top without even needing to add a new post. However, I've never been a fan of bumping, even when bumping entails new content added by the last person to post in the topic. The best solution seems clear to me but will take some time to bring into action: I need to make it so the topics can be sorted by last post's original time or last post's edit time, and each user can decide in their own control panel how they want it sorted, if they want sorted by either of those things at all as opposed to any of the other sorting options.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.
MalkuthSamanera1

Post by MalkuthSamanera1 »

Ok fair points, Scott, I just wasn't being creative enough.
Every statement contains some truth.
XTimeRemains

Post by XTimeRemains »

Scott wrote:I could make it so editing the last post updates the post time and causes the topic to appear first in the list, when user's are using the default sort order. (Incidentally, the default sort order can be overridden on a per user basis in one's own control panel and any page can be re-sorted using the controls on that page.) I could also simply enable bumping, in which case the last person to post in a topic can bump it up to the top without even needing to add a new post. However, I've never been a fan of bumping, even when bumping entails new content added by the last person to post in the topic. The best solution seems clear to me but will take some time to bring into action: I need to make it so the topics can be sorted by last post's original time or last post's edit time, and each user can decide in their own control panel how they want it sorted, if they want sorted by either of those things at all as opposed to any of the other sorting options.
I don't like the idea of bumping either. That's pretty annoying to have a post constantly be sent to the top. And I don't think that recently edited posts should be the default sort order either, because this will have the same effect as bumping.

I brought up this topic because a post I made six days later wasn't bumped. Bumping a topic is useful to when new information has been added. I'm not talking about little fixes as in "*edit* I meant to say truth rather than reality", I'm talking about bran new content. I think it should be the default behavior of a forum to have the topics with the new content at the top.

With the present settings, if I create a new post on a topic I was the last person to post to a year ago, the topic will not be bumped to the top of the board. I think it should be.

As I suggested, maybe there should be a limit. Lets say if you're new post is within twenty-four hours of the old post, it is appended, otherwise a new post is created and the topic is thus bumped. This way at minimum a topic can only be bumped every 24 hours and it fixes the problem I mentioned above.
Exz
New Trial Member

Post by Exz »

Hello,

I've only been on here for a while, but the last couple of posts that I've made on my epistemology topic of 'Consciousness Test' haven't appeared...

I was about to start another thread on information science, but a) I don't know where to put it, and b) whether it will appear!

What gives?
Ormond

Post by Ormond »

When a series of posts are lumped in to one big post, the resulting post is so long no one will read it. My best contributions on the forum were killed this way, now an empty thread with no replies I have thus abandoned.

Not complaining, just casting my one little vote.
If the things we want to hear could take us where we want to go, we'd already be there.
Scribbler60

Post by Scribbler60 »

Exz wrote:Hello,

I've only been on here for a while, but the last couple of posts that I've made on my epistemology topic of 'Consciousness Test' haven't appeared...

I was about to start another thread on information science, but a) I don't know where to put it, and b) whether it will appear!

What gives?
Everyone who opens an account here has a short trial and the first 10 or so posts need to be vetted by an admin before they are published. How long that takes depends on the admins and how busy they are. Usually it's within 24-48 hours.
Exz
New Trial Member

Post by Exz »

I have added a couple of important points to my previous last post on topology and the four colour theorem (in 'Philosopher's Lounge', because I wasn't sure where topology goes). How can I get these posts viewed? I didn't realise that they wouldn't show up as 'new'...
Alec Smart

Post by Alec Smart »

SexyBachelor wrote:
I just posted a new reply to a topic that I had the last post on, but the last post I made was six days ago. The content I had in this new post was completely different and was in no way additional information to the last post. However, this next post was appended onto the last post I made six days ago. As a result, the post was not counted as a new post, and thus the topic was not bumped to the top of the board. This topic will now not be seen as recently posted to from the board perspective.

I can see the pros of this feature, how if someone wants to add a little extra information to their last post, rather than creating a brand-new post, the forum will automatically integrate the new information with the last post (as if the post had been edited). However, the draw backs are in my opinion much greater than the benefits.

Maybe this feature (of appending posts) can have a limit, of say an hour, or a few hours (the edit feature has a limit as well). If a post is posted within lets say 2 hours, it is appended, otherwise it is created in a brand new post so the topic gets bumped to the top of the board again.
If, in the six days between you making your two posts, nobody else made a post, it would seem that you were probably the only person who was aware of the occurrence. This being the case, I can't really see why it matters.
Smart by name and Alec by nature.
Exz
New Trial Member

Post by Exz »

Hello Again,
I have thought of a new cunning idea which belongs on my epistemology - 'Are we in a VR?' thread. I was the last person to post on that thread. I could start a whole new topic, but that would just irritate people...
How *should* I post again on my own thread and get it flagged as a new post, such that others would notice it??
Confused by the technicalities of this site...
Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
The admin formerly known as Scott
Favorite Philosopher: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes »

@Exz At this time you are not able to bump your posts in that way.
My entire political philosophy summed up in one tweet.

"The mind is a wonderful servant but a terrible master."

I believe spiritual freedom (a.k.a. self-discipline) manifests as bravery, confidence, grace, honesty, love, and inner peace.

Return to “Forum Announcements”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream