Can Religion be considered to be child abuse?

Discuss philosophical questions regarding theism (and atheism), and discuss religion as it relates to philosophy. This includes any philosophical discussions that happen to be about god, gods, or a 'higher power' or the belief of them. This also generally includes philosophical topics about organized or ritualistic mysticism or about organized, common or ritualistic beliefs in the existence of supernatural phenomenon.
Xris

Re: Can Religion be considered to be child abuse?

Post by Xris »

Bertram_Colton wrote:To Xris:

Hey, no disrespect but you have got to provide those links you said you were going to or at least some exact source so it can be googled. Even if you don't provide every piece evidence for all of your assumptions. If you let the opposing arguer to look up your evidence we won't get to hear how you interpreted it.
It was not a link but a BBC programme that I can not find. http://www.exploring-amish-country.com/ ... amily.html

This article is along the same lines. I was wondering would you change your opinion if I found the programme?

There are problems in paradise. Incest,rape, meths abuse, genetic malfunctions. Disagreement with neighbouring Amish. My intentions are not to belittle the Amish but to point out nothing is as perfect as we might believe.
Bertram_Colton

Post by Bertram_Colton »

Those are problems, but I wonder if these problems are greater than any other society's?

I will do some research while this continues.

-- Updated August 5th, 2012, 12:43 pm to add the following --

okay I only did a little research and it sounds like the Amish communities, (sometimes but not always with consent), are slowly being phased into mainstream society. I can't post a link but the name of the website is religioustolerance. However even though Amish are become more mainstream, and more liberal, they are still remaining very much a religious organization (of course). I would think such changes are in response to the problems you mentioned.

This is all well and good but we should try to see if we can connect back to the main question(s) soon.

-- Updated August 5th, 2012, 12:46 pm to add the following --

Sorry I just wanted to clarify why I can't post a link.

I'm new and the system won't let me. :?
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Belinda,

The reason that I ask Xris to provide some evidence and perhaps some examples, is because he is making extremely bold, factual claims. And no offence to him, but I think that when making bold, factual claims, they should be supported by some evidence, or at least some source of factuality. Otherwise, it appears as though Xris is only posting his own opinion; which I am under no obligation to agree with or even believe. It is natural for me at least, to try and support my claims with some kind of evidence. Therefore, I am inclined to think that others should do the same.

Now, I don't know much about the Armish, but from what I do know of their way of life, they appear to be an intelligent people, who live a lifestyle that is different from the western (or modern) way of life. They do not strike me as being maladaptive; very religious and agricultural yes, but I don't think that this implies maladaptivity on their part. I think that they are well aware of the modern world around them, but they choose not to be a part of it. If it one day becomes necessary for them to integrate into modern society, I think that they would be able to adapt, only they would retain their traditions.

I would however say, that the Armish are well adapted to the economic climate; if they weren't, how would they have survived for so long?
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
Rederic
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Rederic »

And no offence to him, but I think that when making bold, factual claims, they should be supported by some evidence
Why doesn't this apply to a theists claim that God created the heavens, the earth & mankind?
Religion is at its best when it makes us ask hard questions of ourselves.
It is at its worst when it deludes us into thinking we have all the answers for everybody else.
Archibald Macleish.
Bertram_Colton

Post by Bertram_Colton »

It does apply to theists, for sure, but that is not the topic right now, (though I am not sure what is).

-- Updated August 5th, 2012, 4:34 pm to add the following --

You must remember that not all theists are philosophers. Some are though, so you have a point of course. :)
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Rederic,
Rederic wrote:
Why doesn't this apply to a theists claim that God created the heavens, the earth & mankind?
A theist's, or at least my evidence of God's existence is the bible, existence itself (the universe and everything in it) and my personal experiences. These examples of 'evidence' will not be accepted as valid by atheists; perhaps only by other theists. As far as I am aware, it is not possible for a theist to provide the type of evidence that would convince an atheist that God exists. You have to bear in mind that belief in God is largely based upon faith, (which doesn't require the type of evidence you're asking for). Therefore, in asking a theist to provide evidence of God's existence, and that he created the heavens, the earth & mankind, you are asking for the impossible.
Theists believe, agnostics ponder and atheists analyse. A little bit of each should get us the right answer.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Fanman wrote:Rederic,

A theist's, or at least my evidence of God's existence is the bible, existence itself (the universe and everything in it) and my personal experiences. These examples of 'evidence' will not be accepted as valid by atheists; perhaps only by other theists. As far as I am aware, it is not possible for a theist to provide the type of evidence that would convince an atheist that God exists. You have to bear in mind that belief in God is largely based upon faith, (which doesn't require the type of evidence you're asking for). Therefore, in asking a theist to provide evidence of God's existence, and that he created the heavens, the earth & mankind, you are asking for the impossible.
Well I have produced evidence that not all Amish are living in paradise now you prove god exists. A good link might help.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Xris wrote: Well I have produced evidence that not all Amish are living in paradise now you prove god exists. A good link might help.
Xris,

I don't recall anyone asserting that the Armish were living in "paradise," I certainly did not. Therefore, you have disproven your own assertion. I think that for someone to believe in God, a degree of faith is required. You have no faith, therefore I think that no matter what evidence or links I provided to try and convince you that God exists, you would attempt to refute them.

We have argued on many occasions about the existence of God, and I have provided what I believe is evidence of his existence; only for you to rubbish my claims. Thus, I see no point in starting the same circular arguement with you.
Maldon007

Post by Maldon007 »

Xris wrote: Well I have produced evidence that not all Amish are living in paradise now you prove god exists. A good link might help.
Really, Xris? This was a pretty cool thread till you started jacking it all up with this crap.
Bermudj

Post by Bermudj »

Xris wrote:Well I have produced evidence that not all Amish are living in paradise now you prove god exists. A good link might help.
Well actually for 49 years I used to live in paradise. The reason being I was naive. My capacity to discriminate among people was not there, so nearly any body and everybody was a friend of mine. I was extremely at peace with myself, my peace was rudely shattered. I have now been working at being at peace with myself, this time well aware of the nastiness of humans. Maybe when I can reach that state again I will be able to prove that God exists.
Do whatever you do, do what a good man would do, and what is a good man?, I do not know, but at every point, every turn, do what a good man would do.

Jesús Antonio Bermúdez-Silva
Xris

Post by Xris »

I love it, I am asked to prove my claims by referencing link after link but a simple consideration that the most commonly held claim that god exists can be accepted as a fact without question and my request can be so easily dismissed. Fanman I do not want your personal experiences to be dragged up again and again, I agree with you here. You questioned my honesty in reference to the Amish and now you act like some wounded crusader. God is a myth invented by our ancient ancestors and I object to his existence being taught to young minds. It is an abuse of privilege and parenthood.
Fanman

Post by Fanman »

Xris,
Xris wrote: God is a myth invented by our ancient ancestors and I object to his existence being taught to young minds. It is an abuse of privilege and parenthood.

If this is what you believe, then why are you asking me to prove the existence of God?
Misty
Premium Member

Post by Misty »

Belinda wrote:

Xris is right that the economic base of any society is what determines the success or failure of the religious doctrine . If Xris is correct in his information it follows that the Amish will be in trouble due to the inertia of maladaptive indoctrination. By 'maladaptive' in this instance I mean that medieval beliefs i.e. Biblical literalism , clash with modern science, upon which any modern economy is based. It is not necessary for Xris to produce evidence of whether or not the Amish will have to change their agricultural heritage to understand this basic economic principle that means of subsistence is the material cause of specific religious beliefs.
False. If your's/Xris's statement was correct Christianity would not have flourished.
Things are not always as they appear; it's a matter of perception.

The eyes can only see what the mind has, is, or will be prepared to comprehend.

I am Lion, hear me ROAR! Meow.
Rederic
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell

Post by Rederic »

False. If your's/Xris's statement was correct Christianity would not have flourished.
Yes it would. Religions keep changing their definitions to counter advances in science & philosophy. It's not that long ago that the bible was described by Christians as word for word, the literal truth. Now you get senior churchmen saying that a lot of it is a metaphor. This will keep on happening. No matter what discoveries are made by science, religions will change their reasoning, because a belief in a supernatural entity is a need that's within some people.
Religion is at its best when it makes us ask hard questions of ourselves.
It is at its worst when it deludes us into thinking we have all the answers for everybody else.
Archibald Macleish.
Xris

Post by Xris »

Fanman wrote:Xris,

If this is what you believe, then why are you asking me to prove the existence of God?
You have constantly asked me to provide links to my claims and now it is your turn. Give me a link that proves conclusively that your claims are true. Prove to me that your god exists?

Return to “Philosophy of Religion, Theism and Mythology”

2023/2024 Philosophy Books of the Month

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise

Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise
by John K Danenbarger
January 2023

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul

Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless: Wisdom Behind the Incomparable Chicken Soup for the Soul
by Mitzi Perdue
February 2023

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness

Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature: How Civilization Destroys Happiness
by Chet Shupe
March 2023

The Unfakeable Code®

The Unfakeable Code®
by Tony Jeton Selimi
April 2023

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
by Alan Watts
May 2023

Killing Abel

Killing Abel
by Michael Tieman
June 2023

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead

Reconfigurement: Reconfiguring Your Life at Any Stage and Planning Ahead
by E. Alan Fleischauer
July 2023

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough

First Survivor: The Impossible Childhood Cancer Breakthrough
by Mark Unger
August 2023

Predictably Irrational

Predictably Irrational
by Dan Ariely
September 2023

Artwords

Artwords
by Beatriz M. Robles
November 2023

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope

Fireproof Happiness: Extinguishing Anxiety & Igniting Hope
by Dr. Randy Ross
December 2023

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes

Beyond the Golden Door: Seeing the American Dream Through an Immigrant's Eyes
by Ali Master
February 2024

2022 Philosophy Books of the Month

Emotional Intelligence At Work

Emotional Intelligence At Work
by Richard M Contino & Penelope J Holt
January 2022

Free Will, Do You Have It?

Free Will, Do You Have It?
by Albertus Kral
February 2022

My Enemy in Vietnam

My Enemy in Vietnam
by Billy Springer
March 2022

2X2 on the Ark

2X2 on the Ark
by Mary J Giuffra, PhD
April 2022

The Maestro Monologue

The Maestro Monologue
by Rob White
May 2022

What Makes America Great

What Makes America Great
by Bob Dowell
June 2022

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!

The Truth Is Beyond Belief!
by Jerry Durr
July 2022

Living in Color

Living in Color
by Mike Murphy
August 2022 (tentative)

The Not So Great American Novel

The Not So Great American Novel
by James E Doucette
September 2022

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches

Mary Jane Whiteley Coggeshall, Hicksite Quaker, Iowa/National Suffragette And Her Speeches
by John N. (Jake) Ferris
October 2022

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All

In It Together: The Beautiful Struggle Uniting Us All
by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
November 2022

The Smartest Person in the Room: The Root Cause and New Solution for Cybersecurity

The Smartest Person in the Room
by Christian Espinosa
December 2022

2021 Philosophy Books of the Month

The Biblical Clock: The Untold Secrets Linking the Universe and Humanity with God's Plan

The Biblical Clock
by Daniel Friedmann
March 2021

Wilderness Cry: A Scientific and Philosophical Approach to Understanding God and the Universe

Wilderness Cry
by Dr. Hilary L Hunt M.D.
April 2021

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute: Tools To Spark Your Dream And Ignite Your Follow-Through

Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
by Jeff Meyer
May 2021

Surviving the Business of Healthcare: Knowledge is Power

Surviving the Business of Healthcare
by Barbara Galutia Regis M.S. PA-C
June 2021

Winning the War on Cancer: The Epic Journey Towards a Natural Cure

Winning the War on Cancer
by Sylvie Beljanski
July 2021

Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream