Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

Too supportive of the "Leviathan"?

Discuss the March 2015 book of the month, The Moral Arc: How Science and Reason Lead Humanity toward Truth, Justice, and Freedom by Michael Shermer
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Too supportive of the "Leviathan"?

Post by Scott » April 1st, 2015, 5:43 pm

Do you think Michael Shermer was too supportive of the "Leviathan" in his book?

I do. So often I found him quickly brushing off something he just condemned as "immoral" by making a double-standard for the state. This seems like a special pleading fallacy. I feel it may have been less blatantly fallacious if Shermer provided an in depth explanation of why an exemption to his moral rules shall be made for a group of people claiming to be a state AND provided an argument to support his repeated ipse dixit that we need a big "Leviathan" to claim a monopoly on the "legitimate" [special pleading fallacy double-standard] use of force.
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?

Lagayscienza
Favorite Philosopher: Neitszche

Re: Too supportive of the "Leviathan"?

Post by Lagayscienza » April 5th, 2015, 6:10 am

I haven't got to that bit yet, Scott, but I did get the book on my kindle and started reading it today and will get back to you on the "Leviathan". I'm onto chapter two and what I've read so far has been music to my ears. But no sign yet of the "Leviathan".
La gaya Scienza