The January Philosophy Book of the Month 2019 is The Runaway Species. Discuss The Runaway Species now.

The February Philosophy Book of the Month is The Fourth Age by Byron Reese (Nominated by RJG.) Discuss The Fourth Age now.

A Genuine Question In Mathematical Philosophy

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
hanahana
New Trial Member

Re: A Genuine Question In Mathematical Philosophy

Post by hanahana » December 5th, 2018, 2:24 am

this is a very useful post...well done

Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science

Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Post by Steve3007 » December 10th, 2018, 6:53 am

There's an interesting sum of a geometrical series in the song "Take It Easy" by The Eagles. It goes like this:

"I'm running down the road trying to loosen my load,
I got 7 women on my mind,
4 that want to own me,
2 that want to stone me,
1 says she's a friend of mine.
Take it easy. Take is easy.
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."

But the trouble is, The Eagles didn't finish this geometrical progression (in which each number is 0.5 times the previous one). If they had finished it to infinity, would the total number of women on the songwriter's mind by 8, not 7? And would it be acceptable, after the first 3 terms, for him to have an infinite number of women's body parts on his mind?

Tamminen

Post by Tamminen » December 10th, 2018, 8:45 am

Steve3007 wrote:
December 10th, 2018, 6:53 am
There's an interesting sum of a geometrical series in the song "Take It Easy" by The Eagles. It goes like this:

"I'm running down the road trying to loosen my load,
I got 7 women on my mind,
4 that want to own me,
2 that want to stone me,
1 says she's a friend of mine.
Take it easy. Take is easy.
Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."

But the trouble is, The Eagles didn't finish this geometrical progression (in which each number is 0.5 times the previous one). If they had finished it to infinity, would the total number of women on the songwriter's mind by 8, not 7? And would it be acceptable, after the first 3 terms, for him to have an infinite number of women's body parts on his mind?
And could he imagine what a half of a hydrogen atom looks like?