The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

How does one find True Knowledge?

Discuss any topics related to metaphysics (the philosophical study of the principles of reality) or epistemology (the philosophical study of knowledge) in this forum.
Steve3007
Favorite Philosopher: Eratosthenes

Re: How does one find True Knowledge?

Post by Steve3007 » December 4th, 2019, 11:26 am

Tamminen wrote:I mean it in the same sense as Descartes found that it is impossible to doubt his experiences and therefore concluded that he exists, or in the same sense as I have found the necessity of the subject.
Okay, so it seems to me that you mean it in the first sense that I mentioned. You mean that you regard it as self-contradictory to doubt the existence of an objective world.

For my part, I favour the second sense that I mentioned. I think the idea that there exists an objective world about which we can make objective propositions is useful and that this utility is part of the the definition of existence. Or, at least, the only definition of existence that can be made unambiguous.

Tamminen

Post by Tamminen » December 4th, 2019, 3:02 pm

Steve3007 wrote:
December 4th, 2019, 11:26 am
Tamminen wrote:I mean it in the same sense as Descartes found that it is impossible to doubt his experiences and therefore concluded that he exists, or in the same sense as I have found the necessity of the subject.
Okay, so it seems to me that you mean it in the first sense that I mentioned. You mean that you regard it as self-contradictory to doubt the existence of an objective world.

For my part, I favour the second sense that I mentioned. I think the idea that there exists an objective world about which we can make objective propositions is useful and that this utility is part of the the definition of existence. Or, at least, the only definition of existence that can be made unambiguous.
There is nothing wrong with your pragmatic approach, I like it, but my philosophical ambitions go deeper into questions like: "What is this all about?" and "What is the ontological structure of reality?" So I find the phenomenological approach a better way of dealing with those questions, and that approach seeks essences and a priori truths. The aim is to build an adequate metaphysical interpretation of modern science and our everyday being in the world.

Tamminen

Post by Tamminen » December 4th, 2019, 4:39 pm

The a priori I am speaking about is not analytic a priori like "all bachelors are necessarily unmarried", because that kind of a priori gives us no information, being only the definition of 'bachelor' in other words. But saying that all being presupposes a metaphysical subject says something about the ontological structure of reality. If it is true, it is an a priori truth. It is impossible to verify or falsify empirically. Nevertheless, it is either true or false. There is no ambiguity in it. I think we should not reject the idea of synthetic a priori truths.