Announcement: Your votes are in! The January 2019 Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World by David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt.

Podcast Discussion (December): Evolution and Contextual Behavioral Science

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
Burning ghost

Podcast Discussion (December): Evolution and Contextual Behavioral Science

Post by Burning ghost » December 1st, 2018, 1:57 am

This is a podcast where two renowned scientists (Hayes and Wilson) discuss how psychology and evolution are coming together and the benefit of this.

Evolution and Contextual Behavioral Science: An Integrated Framework for Understanding, Predicting, and Influencing Human Behavior

This is “part II” of the interview. The first part is more or less about psychology specifically whilst this second part expands into different ideas about the approach of scientists, certain biases of scientific fields, and how these two people came together and inspired each others work:

https://www.offtheclockpsych.com/podcas ... al-science

The discussion is quite wide ranging and I imagine there is something of interest for everyone.

Note: Will probably be throwing out a different podcast every month (or maybe two if people are interested.) I’ll give whoever is interested to have a listen and will post something within the next few days highlighting some of the things that interested me in the discussion.
AKA badgerjelly

ktz
Favorite Philosopher: right now it is Tim Wu

Re: Podcast Discussion (December): Evolution and Contextual Behavioral Science

Post by ktz » December 1st, 2018, 4:40 pm

Thanks Burning ghost for the suggestion. I particularly liked the section where they talk about the isolating and psychogenic effects of modern technology around the 50 minute mark -- the 24 hour news cycle generating the functional equivalent of a dangerous environment full of predators is an interesting context for talking about its harms that I hadn't previously considered.

Their reference to "Prosocial" technique is sounds very interesting as well. They didn't mention EO Wilson by name but they talked a lot about group selection, and I'm curious what kind of techniques are involved given some of their supporting data like the success in its application to at-risk youth.

I also found their Nietzschean perspective on early childhood trauma to be very surprising. It reminds me of Nassim Taleb's conception of "Antifragility", describing things that become stronger under conditions of stress and disorder. I wonder what kind of conversation these two would have on Gabor Mate's work on addiction, in which he theorizes addiction to be the consequence of unresolved trauma, especially in early childhood.
You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard-boiled egg.

LuckyR

Re: Podcast Discussion (December): Evolution and Contextual Behavioral Science

Post by LuckyR » December 4th, 2018, 2:57 am

Adding it to the list
"As usual... it depends."