The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Beyond the Dynamical Universe

Use this forum to discuss the philosophy of science. Philosophy of science deals with the assumptions, foundations, and implications of science.
Papus79

Beyond the Dynamical Universe

Post by Papus79 » December 26th, 2018, 1:00 am

Has anyone read this one yet?

It's jointly written by Michael Silberstein, WM Stuckey, Timothy McDevitt. I'm listening to an interview Michael did with Richard Brown a few weeks ago and he's talking about the core idea in this book starting with the assumptions of Minkowski space-time, a block universe, and applying adynamic global constraints. The way he describes the overture of it seems to suggest something close to what I'd considered before, ie. the universe as a 4-D solid, although I don't know that this is necessarily where he's going (it may not be that fixed) but the essential idea is that past and future are both real and that time and movement are just a trajectory across cross-sections of said complex object.

h_k_s
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle

Re: Beyond the Dynamical Universe

Post by h_k_s » December 31st, 2018, 6:49 pm

Sounds like a good science fiction book.

Not science though.

Not philosophy either.

Felix

Re: Beyond the Dynamical Universe

Post by Felix » January 2nd, 2019, 5:53 pm

Ah, just admit it, h_k_s, you don't want to live in a 4-D solid, even if you share it with cats.
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin