The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

How would God know He/She was reborn?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
User avatar
Imetheman1
New Trial Member
Posts: 6
Joined: June 2nd, 2017, 3:51 pm

How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by Imetheman1 » April 13th, 2019, 3:28 pm

Notwithstanding whether you believe in the existence of God or not [BTW I am a confirmed atheist] - it can be assumed that hypothetically IF God exists and IF He/She ever decides to show themself in physical form in a specific physical body again on Earth [ie, as in the second coming],then it follows that the soul of God can only enter the physical world by His/Her reincarnation into the world at the moment of conception [ the fertilisation of the female egg by the male sperm] of a specific physical human body. ( Would God be able to choose which specific body he/she would be reincarnated in? )

Every baby is born pure and innocent. Since there can be no way within the laws of physics which would allow the transfer of information to the consciousness of the new born baby that he/she represents the physical custodian of the soul of God, the individual person may live their life from their birth to their death never knowing that he/she is the physical representation and custodian of the soul of God.

However, what if the soul of god survived an individual physical existence in an infinity of physical existences, where the particular circumstances of that person's life [through their own studies] enabled them to suddenly realise that they themself represented the physical custodian of the soul of God. Up to that moment, they had no idea that this was the case.

It is essential and a prerequisite requirement that the theory of everything must include and explain the existence of consciousness and the facility of free will possessed by every intelligent species of animal. Could it be that God can only make himself/herself known by discovering the TOE and that by doing so, the TOE itself reveals that the consciousness of the discoverer represents the consciousness of God him/herself?

Alias
Posts: 2701
Joined: November 26th, 2011, 8:10 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by Alias » April 16th, 2019, 11:50 pm

Imetheman1 wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 3:28 pm
( Would God be able to choose which specific body he/she would be reincarnated in? )
According to the story, he chose the vessel for his infantile manifestation. Now, he has a lot more nubile young females to choose from.
Every baby is born pure and innocent.
Every baby is born into the sin of Adam and Eve. They must be saved, individually, though baptism, early childhood indoctrination and confirmation.
Since there can be no way within the laws of physics
God breaks those all the time. At, least, he used to.
However, what if the soul of god survived an individual physical existence in an infinity of physical existences, where the particular circumstances of that person's life [through their own studies] enabled them to suddenly realise that they themself represented the physical custodian of the soul of God.
You don't need infinite existences. Since the physical parents are informed of having received this enormous favour, they arrange the kid's education accordingly.
Up to that moment, they had no idea that this was the case.
Up to age 6, there wasn't much expected of them.
It is essential and a prerequisite requirement that the theory of everything must include and explain the existence of consciousness and the facility of free will possessed by every intelligent species of animal. Could it be that God can only make himself/herself known by discovering the TOE and that by doing so, the TOE itself reveals that the consciousness of the discoverer represents the consciousness of God him/herself?
No need to complicate this. God can do whatever.

User avatar
h_k_s
Posts: 447
Joined: November 25th, 2018, 12:09 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle
Location: Rocky Mountains

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by h_k_s » April 17th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Imetheman1 wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 3:28 pm
Notwithstanding whether you believe in the existence of God or not [BTW I am a confirmed atheist] - it can be assumed that hypothetically IF God exists and IF He/She ever decides to show themself in physical form in a specific physical body again on Earth [ie, as in the second coming],then it follows that the soul of God can only enter the physical world by His/Her reincarnation into the world at the moment of conception [ the fertilisation of the female egg by the male sperm] of a specific physical human body. ( Would God be able to choose which specific body he/she would be reincarnated in? )

Every baby is born pure and innocent. Since there can be no way within the laws of physics which would allow the transfer of information to the consciousness of the new born baby that he/she represents the physical custodian of the soul of God, the individual person may live their life from their birth to their death never knowing that he/she is the physical representation and custodian of the soul of God.

However, what if the soul of god survived an individual physical existence in an infinity of physical existences, where the particular circumstances of that person's life [through their own studies] enabled them to suddenly realise that they themself represented the physical custodian of the soul of God. Up to that moment, they had no idea that this was the case.

It is essential and a prerequisite requirement that the theory of everything must include and explain the existence of consciousness and the facility of free will possessed by every intelligent species of animal. Could it be that God can only make himself/herself known by discovering the TOE and that by doing so, the TOE itself reveals that the consciousness of the discoverer represents the consciousness of God him/herself?
Religion is a matter of doctrine and faith.

There is no proof or logic to religion.

Religion is not related to philosophy or to science.

The 3 of them are completely opposite unrelated fields.

User avatar
h_k_s
Posts: 447
Joined: November 25th, 2018, 12:09 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle
Location: Rocky Mountains

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by h_k_s » April 17th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Alias wrote:
April 16th, 2019, 11:50 pm
Imetheman1 wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 3:28 pm
( Would God be able to choose which specific body he/she would be reincarnated in? )
According to the story, he chose the vessel for his infantile manifestation. Now, he has a lot more nubile young females to choose from.
Every baby is born pure and innocent.
Every baby is born into the sin of Adam and Eve. They must be saved, individually, though baptism, early childhood indoctrination and confirmation.
Since there can be no way within the laws of physics
God breaks those all the time. At, least, he used to.
However, what if the soul of god survived an individual physical existence in an infinity of physical existences, where the particular circumstances of that person's life [through their own studies] enabled them to suddenly realise that they themself represented the physical custodian of the soul of God.
You don't need infinite existences. Since the physical parents are informed of having received this enormous favour, they arrange the kid's education accordingly.
Up to that moment, they had no idea that this was the case.
Up to age 6, there wasn't much expected of them.
It is essential and a prerequisite requirement that the theory of everything must include and explain the existence of consciousness and the facility of free will possessed by every intelligent species of animal. Could it be that God can only make himself/herself known by discovering the TOE and that by doing so, the TOE itself reveals that the consciousness of the discoverer represents the consciousness of God him/herself?
No need to complicate this. God can do whatever.
I personally do not believe that God(s) break any "laws" of physics.

I simply suspect that He/She/They have powers that we humans do not have, and therefore it seems to us like They/She/he are breaking them.

User avatar
h_k_s
Posts: 447
Joined: November 25th, 2018, 12:09 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle
Location: Rocky Mountains

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by h_k_s » April 17th, 2019, 3:41 pm

God is an interesting topic.

You can approach it from a philosophical, scientific, or religious perspective.

Philosophically you can google Aquinas' Proofs Of God and read about that.

Scientifically it is assumed for the purpose of research and hypothesis that God does not enter the astrophysical equation.

Religiously you only need to choose from among the hundreds of different religions in the world or instead to choose none of them.

Catholics are the largest group. Sunni's are next. Then Protestants. Then Buddhists. Then Hindu's. Etc. Take your pick. Or flip a coin.

User avatar
Imetheman1
New Trial Member
Posts: 6
Joined: June 2nd, 2017, 3:51 pm

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by Imetheman1 » April 21st, 2019, 5:37 pm

The assumption is that if God exists,anything He/She does [including anything He/She creates] MUST conform with the physical laws of nature. If it was within His/Her power to be able to be physically reincarnated in human form on Earth, then - if it applies that anything He/She does must conform to the laws of physics - the only way God could do it is at the moment of fertilisation of the female egg with the male sperm.

The main point is that the physical custodian of God's soul would never know that it was the case.

Alias
Posts: 2701
Joined: November 26th, 2011, 8:10 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Terry Pratchett

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by Alias » April 23rd, 2019, 12:44 am

h_k_s ---- I personally do not believe that God(s) break any "laws" of physics.

I simply suspect that He/She/They have powers that we humans do not have, and therefore it seems to us like They/She/he are breaking them.
Your personal belief aside, the Bible says, for just a few examples:

Isaiah 38:8 I will make the sun's shadow that falls on the stairway of Ahaz go ten steps backward." So the shadow cast by the sun went back the ten steps it had descended.

Habakkuk 3:11 Sun and moon stood still in their places at the flash of Your flying arrows, at the brightness of Your shining spear.

Exodus 15:8 And with the blast of thy nostrils the waters were gathered together, the floods stood upright as an heap, and the depths were congealed in the heart of the sea.

Genesis 19:26 But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt.

Exodus 3:2 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.
Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit atrocities. - Voltaire

User avatar
Intellectual_Savnot
Posts: 97
Joined: November 26th, 2018, 11:07 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Myself
Location: Wokeville, California
Contact:

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by Intellectual_Savnot » April 23rd, 2019, 1:27 pm

@Imetheman1 the laws of nature are simply the properties of specific interactions of matter. If you change the matter and change the interaction, the laws change. Hence, if yeebus christ is really enchanted with holy righteous god power, the laws of physics would then change for yeebus our christ and savior as he can do away with these laws.

User avatar
Intellectual_Savnot
Posts: 97
Joined: November 26th, 2018, 11:07 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Myself
Location: Wokeville, California
Contact:

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by Intellectual_Savnot » April 23rd, 2019, 1:29 pm

Sorry I meant to say: "....as he is transposed fundamentally of differently interacting matter than observable existence."

User avatar
Intellectual_Savnot
Posts: 97
Joined: November 26th, 2018, 11:07 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Myself
Location: Wokeville, California
Contact:

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by Intellectual_Savnot » April 23rd, 2019, 1:31 pm

I think I used the word transposed wrong. I meant to say: "....as he is composed fundamentally of differently interacting matter than observable existence."

User avatar
Newme
Posts: 1226
Joined: December 13th, 2011, 1:21 am

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by Newme » April 28th, 2019, 8:32 pm

If there is such a thing as reincarnation, generally past lives are forgotten, so the task at hand - living - can be the focus. So, though it makes sense that consciousness is energy which just changes form, spiritually, each life would have its own distinct purposes and lessons.

There is a hypothetical story of a man who died, goes to heaven to be told he will now return as a different person in another country from the past. He questions, “How could this be?” He’s told, “Eternity is beyond time. You were, are and will be every person on the earth who ever lived, lives or will live.” The moral is treat others as you would have yourself treated.

In discussions of God, it seems definitions are assumed &/or discounted. God is defined over 800 different ways - just in the bible. And God is considered spirit, specifically, “I AM THAT I AM” and such a conscious is within each of us... “the kingdom of God is within you.”

It’s much easier to reject the absurdity of many biblical stories when you take them literally. Yet, “without a parable spake he not unto them.” The story of Christ’s was not told so we’d worship baby Jesus but is symbolically applicable to each reader.

User avatar
h_k_s
Posts: 447
Joined: November 25th, 2018, 12:09 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle
Location: Rocky Mountains

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by h_k_s » April 29th, 2019, 10:05 am

Newme wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 8:32 pm
If there is such a thing as reincarnation, generally past lives are forgotten, so the task at hand - living - can be the focus. So, though it makes sense that consciousness is energy which just changes form, spiritually, each life would have its own distinct purposes and lessons.

There is a hypothetical story of a man who died, goes to heaven to be told he will now return as a different person in another country from the past. He questions, “How could this be?” He’s told, “Eternity is beyond time. You were, are and will be every person on the earth who ever lived, lives or will live.” The moral is treat others as you would have yourself treated.

In discussions of God, it seems definitions are assumed &/or discounted. God is defined over 800 different ways - just in the bible. And God is considered spirit, specifically, “I AM THAT I AM” and such a conscious is within each of us... “the kingdom of God is within you.”

It’s much easier to reject the absurdity of many biblical stories when you take them literally. Yet, “without a parable spake he not unto them.” The story of Christ’s was not told so we’d worship baby Jesus but is symbolically applicable to each reader.
Reincarnation is Hindu and Buddhist.

I personally believe that all non-human animals are reincarnated.

But not humans. I believe humans get one chance only. Then it's on to Heaven, Hell, or Purgatory.

We are now of course in the realm of Religion not Philosophy.

Aquinas proved well enough that God(s) must exist.

But nobody has proved where we humans are going after mortality.

User avatar
Newme
Posts: 1226
Joined: December 13th, 2011, 1:21 am

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by Newme » May 1st, 2019, 1:03 pm

h_k_s wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 10:05 am
Newme wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 8:32 pm
If there is such a thing as reincarnation, generally past lives are forgotten, so the task at hand - living - can be the focus. So, though it makes sense that consciousness is energy which just changes form, spiritually, each life would have its own distinct purposes and lessons.

There is a hypothetical story of a man who died, goes to heaven to be told he will now return as a different person in another country from the past. He questions, “How could this be?” He’s told, “Eternity is beyond time. You were, are and will be every person on the earth who ever lived, lives or will live.” The moral is treat others as you would have yourself treated.

In discussions of God, it seems definitions are assumed &/or discounted. God is defined over 800 different ways - just in the bible. And God is considered spirit, specifically, “I AM THAT I AM” and such a conscious is within each of us... “the kingdom of God is within you.”

It’s much easier to reject the absurdity of many biblical stories when you take them literally. Yet, “without a parable spake he not unto them.” The story of Christ’s was not told so we’d worship baby Jesus but is symbolically applicable to each reader.
Reincarnation is Hindu and Buddhist.

I personally believe that all non-human animals are reincarnated.

But not humans. I believe humans get one chance only. Then it's on to Heaven, Hell, or Purgatory.

We are now of course in the realm of Religion not Philosophy.

Aquinas proved well enough that God(s) must exist.

But nobody has proved where we humans are going after mortality.
Yes, reincarnation belief is ascribed more to Hinduism & Buddhism. However, there’s hint that it also was believed in Judaism...
  • “When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
    And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.”-
    -Matthew 16:13-14
I’m not sure what I believe about reincarnation. I tend to think spirituality is all about continual progress (at least that’s what makes us happy and what is generally GOoD). God is omniscient so if that is the goal - then it would take many lives to experience all there is to experience. And there are many gods, when you realize each makes god in their own imagination. Rather than assume twisted dogma, ask, “What is the best, highest GOoD I can imagine?”

There’s a belief that there are various kingdoms or realms after life... “In my house there are many mansions.” I see this as various degrees of ability to love/relate/help. Intelligence is only important to that end. Integrity and active desire for good - I imagine - are what matter most.

User avatar
h_k_s
Posts: 447
Joined: November 25th, 2018, 12:09 pm
Favorite Philosopher: Aristotle
Location: Rocky Mountains

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by h_k_s » May 1st, 2019, 1:47 pm

Newme wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 1:03 pm
h_k_s wrote:
April 29th, 2019, 10:05 am


Reincarnation is Hindu and Buddhist.

I personally believe that all non-human animals are reincarnated.

But not humans. I believe humans get one chance only. Then it's on to Heaven, Hell, or Purgatory.

We are now of course in the realm of Religion not Philosophy.

Aquinas proved well enough that God(s) must exist.

But nobody has proved where we humans are going after mortality.
Yes, reincarnation belief is ascribed more to Hinduism & Buddhism. However, there’s hint that it also was believed in Judaism...
  • “When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
    And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.”-
    -Matthew 16:13-14
I’m not sure what I believe about reincarnation. I tend to think spirituality is all about continual progress (at least that’s what makes us happy and what is generally GOoD). God is omniscient so if that is the goal - then it would take many lives to experience all there is to experience. And there are many gods, when you realize each makes god in their own imagination. Rather than assume twisted dogma, ask, “What is the best, highest GOoD I can imagine?”

There’s a belief that there are various kingdoms or realms after life... “In my house there are many mansions.” I see this as various degrees of ability to love/relate/help. Intelligence is only important to that end. Integrity and active desire for good - I imagine - are what matter most.
Note that the English word "God" does not come from "good". That it does it a Protestant myth.

God comes from Goth. It is a Gothic word. It means "the Goth" or "the great Goth".

While Gothic did exist and was spoken somewhere in the northern woodlands of Roman Europe, the word God did not exist until the English language was ultimately born around 1066 CE.

God, depending on which Being you might be referring to, does have a name even several names.

We can read some versions of them in the Greek New Testament.

Other versions of them appear in the Hebrew Tenakh.

User avatar
Newme
Posts: 1226
Joined: December 13th, 2011, 1:21 am

Re: How would God know He/She was reborn?

Post by Newme » May 2nd, 2019, 10:15 am

h_k_s wrote:
May 1st, 2019, 1:47 pm
Note that the English word "God" does not come from "good". That it does it a Protestant myth.

God comes from Goth. It is a Gothic word. It means "the Goth" or "the great Goth".

While Gothic did exist and was spoken somewhere in the northern woodlands of Roman Europe, the word God did not exist until the English language was ultimately born around 1066 CE.

God, depending on which Being you might be referring to, does have a name even several names.

We can read some versions of them in the Greek New Testament.

Other versions of them appear in the Hebrew Tenakh.
Interesting.

You motivated me to look up the origin of the word, God. I found that some say it is unknown, others:
  • “The earliest written form of the Germanic word god comes from the 6th century Christian Codex Argenteus. The English word itself is derived from the Proto-Germanic * ǥuđan.

    *Gudan was neuter in gender, and probably only meant "deity" in general.

    *The name of the Babylonian god of fortune is "gad."

    *Etymology of the Word "God". the name sometimes applied to an idol as the image or dwelling-place of a god. The root-meaning of the name (from Gothic root gheu; Sanskrit hub or emu, "to invoke or to sacrifice to") is either "the one invoked" or "the one sacrificed to."

    *From a root *ǵʰau̯- (*ǵʰeu̯h2-) "to call, to invoke" (Sanskrit hūta).
That aside, please realize I’m using the word as a symbol for what God means to me... essentially highest good. Even if the word God has other origins, I care more what it means to me now. We might agree God (as understood currently by most) is at least partly subjectively defined.

Post Reply