The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

A Supply and Demand Framework for YouTubePolitics

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me
Papus79

A Supply and Demand Framework for YouTubePolitics

Post by Papus79 » October 27th, 2019, 1:50 pm

This has been bouncing around Youtube a bit recently, clearly it's good news for conservatives and centrists, The DailyWire (Ben Shapiro's publication) wrote an article on it and Carl Benjamin (named in the study) posted a short commentary from his Akkad Daily channel:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/study-da ... calization

A link to the Penn State Political Science paper itself (38 pages). I haven't read the whole thing end to end yet but I'm hoping to get that done today and see if anyone else has any thoughts on it:

https://osf.io/73jys/

Some of my preliminary thoughts - for whatever shortcomings I think Steven Pinker might have I do think the things he said in a panel a winter or two ago, ie. that having 'forbidden topics' based on left-wing concerns cedes certain portions of human knowledge to the alt-right and that it's a huge mistake. From what I've heard of the commentary on this article it seems like having a center and center-right who is actually running with these topics and giving a robust alternative to the alt-right this seems to be cutting down on the degree of interest and growth that the alt-right was previously getting.

Mark1955
Favorite Philosopher: David Hume

Re: A Supply and Demand Framework for YouTubePolitics

Post by Mark1955 » October 30th, 2019, 4:24 am

I'd suggest the following conclusions, and no others, may be drawn from this data. I am by training a biochemist so I suspect my inclination to draw a conclusion is considerably more limited than social scientists. Note where I have put a term in 'quotes' it is because the identification of the word is in itself a subjective matter on which the paper has provided no evidence.

Fig 1 shows more people now view you tube than cable news channels

Table 1 shows MSM contains more 'news' than AIN

Fig 2 shows more videos are uploaded from MSN than AIN

Fig 3 shows the terms feminism and social justice are researched more on AIN than MSM, unlike the other 4 terms

Fig 4 shows that only one group 'conservatives' is sustaining its viewership of AIN, although 'liberals' are not that dissimilar. It might be possible to say that 'extremeists' are using AIN less than they did in general

Fig 5 supports fig 4, only 'conservatives' are currently increasing their posting frequency

Fig 6 shows that 'liberals' and 'conservatives' are less likely to comment on what they see than the other groups

In conclusion I would therefore suggest that the headline remains a hypothesis that is neither proven nor disproven by this information.
If you think you know the answer you probably don't understand the question.