The March Philosophy Book of the Month is Final Notice by Van Fleisher. Discuss Final Notice now.

The April Philosophy Book of the Month is The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight. Discuss The Unbound Soul Now

The May Philosophy Book of the Month is Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler.

Tetrapharmakos versus Four Noble Truths

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
damadeelche
New Trial Member

Tetrapharmakos versus Four Noble Truths

Post by damadeelche » December 2nd, 2019, 7:59 pm

Hi, My name is Elche. I am preparing a term paper and going to compare two philosophy: Epicureanism and Buddhism. My thesis statement will be as follow: Capital doctrines of Epicureanism and Buddhism are the same but because of conceptual differences they are two different philosophy. I will argue that four doctrines of them are the same but because of the definition of happiness the argument will be valid but not sound. there is going to be 4 premises and one conclusion. What do you think about my thesis statement? Can you give me a feedback if the argument make sense? Thank you very much.

Felix

Re: Tetrapharmakos versus Four Noble Truths

Post by Felix » December 3rd, 2019, 6:20 pm

I don't see a correspondence between the two, in fact their ends are practically antithetical. The focus of Epicureanism is on attaining earthly happiness and contentment while Buddhism seeks liberation from the bondage of temporal pleasures (and suffering).
"We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are." - Anaïs Nin