What Exactly do you Make of this Version of Social Justice?

Use this philosophy forum to discuss and debate general philosophy topics that don't fit into one of the other categories.

This forum is NOT for factual, informational or scientific questions about philosophy (e.g. "What year was Socrates born?"); such homework-help-style questions can be asked and answered on PhiloPedia: The Philosophy Wiki. If your question is not already answered on the appropriate PhiloPedia page, then see How to Request Content on PhiloPedia to see how to ask your informational question using the wiki.
stlcardinals19
New Trial Member

What Exactly do you Make of this Version of Social Justice?

Post by stlcardinals19 » March 26th, 2020, 10:33 pm

I get that Twitter is the absolute worst place to discuss nuance to anything. But this guy's a reviewer I like to follow, and recently he's been having a few of these philosophy tweets, and like....I wanna agree w/him on this, however there are some replies that basically border on, "social hierarchy inversion will be just as awful" and that's giving me some pause. I figured this would be a good place to see if there was any other like-minded folks could perhaps expound on this. I apologize if someone takes issue w/the formatting here, but it was the best I could think of:
  • It's the difference between a long game and a short game. You'd probably say Bernie is to Obama's "left" economically, and on paper I'd generally agree. But that's a short-term, singular metric. Obama's domestic agenda and priorities also accelerated the evolution of the U.S...
  • ...toward a metro/urban-centric, post-manual-labor globally-integrated knowledge-economy that increased the social power of intellectual/creative-class workers and (especially within those sectors) nonwhite, non-male persons. THAT'S real inversion. That's change.
  • Change, to me, isn't the bigots and the bullies being "equal" to the people they used to push around (or worse) - it's the people who got pushed around and kept down being in the head office, the boardroom, on the throne... and the bullies having to beg for THEIR scraps.
  • That's why it's called social *justice* and not "social everybody-gets-a-piece."
You can find the thread here BTW: https://twitter(.)com/the_moviebob/status/1243302424355446785?s=20

Terrapin Station
Favorite Philosopher: Bertrand Russell and WVO Quine

Re: What Exactly do you Make of this Version of Social Justice?

Post by Terrapin Station » March 27th, 2020, 5:52 am

First off, I'd be stumped as to why he's saying that Obama changed the economy or changed anything about society/culture. In general, I'm of the opinion that presidents don't typically change much of anything. That doesn't mean that they never have, but they don't typically. If Obama significantly changed anything I sure didn't notice it.

At any rate, yeah, he's just wanting the "bullied" to be able to "bully." Probably because he was bullied and now has revenge fantasies.

DingoJones
New Trial Member

Re: What Exactly do you Make of this Version of Social Justice?

Post by DingoJones » March 27th, 2020, 6:05 pm

I think the person you quoted doesnt understand the distinction between justice and revenge.
Justice isnt becoming what you oppose, that is some truly lost SJW nonsense.