Happy New Year! The January Philosophy Book of the Month is The Runaway Species. Discuss it now.

The February Philosophy Book of the Month is The Fourth Age by Byron Reese (Nominated by RJG.)

Should alcohol be illegal?

Have philosophical discussions about politics, law, and government.
Featured Article: Definition of Freedom - What Freedom Means to Me

Should alchohol be illegal?

Yes
20%
No
80%

Total votes: 5

gregdavidson

Should alcohol be illegal?

Post by gregdavidson » March 19th, 2008, 11:13 am

Despite the fact that I "used" to drink, I honestly don't see a purpose for alcohol in this world. Alcohol has probably ruined more lives than all the illegal drugs put together. Whenever you go to a party or social get-together, there's normally alcohol there. People normally get sucked in to having a drink and end up driving home drunk and sometimes killing someone. The only purpose I see for alcohol in this world is to get drunk and be stupid. What's your idea on this?

anarchyisbliss

Post by anarchyisbliss » March 20th, 2008, 10:17 am

Yes alcohol is pretty pointless and does cause a lot of problems, but people should still have a right to drink it if they want to. It's the law of Hedonism.
"If there is hope, it lies in the proles." - George Orwell, 1984

Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Philosopher: Diogenes the Cynic

Post by Scott » March 20th, 2008, 7:32 pm

Alcohol is more dangerous and its usage causes more problems than many illegal drugs such as marijuana.

To me, it does seem highly inconsistent for alcohol to be legal when those other drugs such as marijuana are illegal. However, instead of supporting the criminalization of alcohol, I support the decriminalization of drugs such as marijuana.

From a utilitarian viewpoint (i.e. what will lead to the most happiness for the general public), criminalizing allegedly unhealthy behaviors such as alcohol, drug usage, or prostitution only exacerbates the problem. Vices like those may cause problems in society from people choosing to engage in them, but criminalizing them generally causes even more problems. So nanny-states are counter-productive.

Regardless, I do not support nanny-states anyway. If a person wants to do something that other people think is self-harmful, then I still do not want to allow those other people to forcefully stop the first person from engaging in the allegedly self-harmful behavior. I support freedom, and so I want a person to be allowed to do whatever he wants even if others think it is self-harmful, so long as the person does not cause harm to other people against their will.
Online Philosophy Club - Please tell me how to improve this website!

Check it out: Abortion - Not as diametrically divisive as often thought?